3 axis gimbal stabilizers

A place to talk equipment, other than Casablanca
TOmeish
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 4 Windows v.8.3 Gold and added SW w/Arabesk 6 on an ASus desktop w/Intel 4790K 4.0GHz Quadcore ( turbo to 4.5GHz), 16GB DDR3 ram, Intel HD Graphics 4600 w/2GB, 1920x1080p IPS HDMI monitor. Lenovo IdeaPad 17.3" Y700 Notebook w/ 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core (w/3.5GHz turbo), 16GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Anti-Glare IPS Display, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, 802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 / HDMI, Windows 10 Home (64-bit) with Bogart 4 Win. 8.3 Gold w/added SW and Arabesk 7. Canon XA 20 ; Sony UWP D-11 wireless system plus transmitter for XLR handheld mic ; Countryman E6 earset for Sony D-11 ; Genaray LED _ 7100T on camera light; Ikan DH7 HDMI 7" Monitor - 4K- 1920x1200; DJI Ronin M 3 axis gimbal; Konova K5 camera slider - 31.5" - with Manfrotto 502 tripod head and all other bangs & whistles!

3 axis gimbal stabilizers

Post by TOmeish »

Looking for comments on the DJI Ronin M vs Came-TV Argo. I'm leaning towards the R-M but have seen the comments on "APP Assistant" - controls parameters of tilt,pan, pitch speed & modes by downloading app to either android or ios. Problem is app works great with ios but terrible with android & DJI has known about it for over a year. Although u can use same app on pc/laptop & connect to R-M to set parameters. Came-tv Argo has no such problems and reviews on YT are mixed ( quality of build is a little less than R-M). Also Argo comes preset with parameters , R-M you need sometimes to have to reset parameters using the app - depending on camera used, **I'm using the CanonXA20 - ; Also reviews mention that the R-M offers slightly smoother shots especially when walking fast/running. Also Argo weighs about 6lbs minus camera and R-M 5lbs.
B&H has Ronin M with hard case for $1179.45 ( saving $60 off case until 11:59pm tonight); Argo is $1288 and includes case ( foam not as sturdy as R-M), Remote thumb controller ( r-M is $169 extra), special adapter plate to attach to tripod or crane, R-M extra for plate - $144. So overall R-M with extras $1510, Argo w/1extra( mount for monitor) - $1328 .
TOmeish
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 4 Windows v.8.3 Gold and added SW w/Arabesk 6 on an ASus desktop w/Intel 4790K 4.0GHz Quadcore ( turbo to 4.5GHz), 16GB DDR3 ram, Intel HD Graphics 4600 w/2GB, 1920x1080p IPS HDMI monitor. Lenovo IdeaPad 17.3" Y700 Notebook w/ 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core (w/3.5GHz turbo), 16GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Anti-Glare IPS Display, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, 802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.0, USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 / HDMI, Windows 10 Home (64-bit) with Bogart 4 Win. 8.3 Gold w/added SW and Arabesk 7. Canon XA 20 ; Sony UWP D-11 wireless system plus transmitter for XLR handheld mic ; Countryman E6 earset for Sony D-11 ; Genaray LED _ 7100T on camera light; Ikan DH7 HDMI 7" Monitor - 4K- 1920x1200; DJI Ronin M 3 axis gimbal; Konova K5 camera slider - 31.5" - with Manfrotto 502 tripod head and all other bangs & whistles!

Re: 3 axis gimbal stabilizers

Post by TOmeish »

wow almost 2 months & no one has an opinion. I guess everyone uses shoulder mount or just tripod?
Well I bought the DJI Ronin M ( bought mine from B&H online for $999, if you want a hard case to carry it they have a special that comes with a great waterproof hard case for $1179.45. I tried out the hard case - has really thick precut foam to hold all the gimbal parts but the case alone weighed 10.5 lbs. and then add ronin m & montor and extras weight goes up to about 19lbs. So I sent it back and bought a "backpack" called MC-Cases on Amazon that have one made for ronin M and has precut foam to hold RM parts and a lot of other extras in several pouches. Back pack only weighs approx. 3lbs., so total weight when all packed is around 12lb.s - big difference! Plus it only cost $149 so you save $40 dollars compared to the hard case. Plus since it's a backpack with shoulder straps you carry it on your back which is much more comfortable than carrying the hardcase around . Once you balance your camera on the gimbal - and this is very important to have it work properly and not stress out the motors, 1st time it took me about an hour or so to properly balance but now have it down to about 20 minutes. Works great, buttery smooth shots, you get 2 batteries but never needed the 2nd one even after 5hr. shoot. One problem noticed - as with all gimbals - unless you have strong shoulders & triceps/biceps and a good lower back can only use it for about 10-12 min. before really tiring and need to put it back on supplied stand so you can rest a little before using it again. So I bought a relatively cheap support - http://www.atlascamerasupport.com/ to hold the gimbal. waiting to receive it in a few days . Check out website - basically a vest that has 1 or 2 fiberglass rods inserted into the back of the vest and gimbal is attached to rod(s) which comfortably hangs over your shoulder. Special adjustable strap lets u raise or lower gimbal depending on ur shot. Many good reviews and you can also use it for just holding your camera/camcorder if you don't have a gimbal. Hundreds of dollars cheaper than the "EasyRig minimax", Readyrig, and many others that will break the bank. One problem u have to adjust to is rods can protrude 6"-12" above your head so yo have to be careful when in confined spaces, especially going thru doorways. Anyone who checks out the Atlas website let me know what you think. This system is so good that many have been sold all over the world, company based in Los Angeles and it is 100% American made!