camera(s) what do you think?

A place to talk equipment, other than Casablanca
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

camera(s) what do you think?

Post by stonepatterson »

Off the bat, I would love to own a PMW EX-3. But even a used one, is an expensive proposition. I have been saving $$$$$ and still out of my reach (add batteries, cards, etc. price goes up).

I took my DVcam DSR 150 with me to Dominican Republic (just got back) -- and shot up the place. Beautiful stuff to shoot, but still SD and it looks extremely meek compared to HD. Plus even the DVcam DSR 150 camera is BIG, (EX-3 would be even bigger). Yikes -- hate to carry all that around. Was a real hassle in Mexico, cause they look at the DSR 150 as a pro camera and the officials wouldn't let me shoot at the ruins...

Then I saw this.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... dycam.html. Could stick the camera in my cargo pants pocket! Looks like a toy consumer camera! Has anyone seen the quality of the image it produces? How's the audio? 1920 x 1080p / 60 fps (28 Mbps) @ 7 hr 30 min, HD PS on Internal Flash memory... with a very low battery drain.

Could it be the best travel camera out there to get high quality footage and audio? And I wouldn't have to take a still camera cause it gives JPEG: 24.1 Megapixel, 6554 x 3680 (16:9) !!!! IN MY POCKET !!!!

And it is under 1500.00...

Before I spend money that would eventually go to an EX-3, I thought I would ask all on these threads what they think. Wife and I do plan on traveling in 2013/14 (we have all these cheap travel bookings) but I so want to get back into making movies... that can be marketed (and I do love to archive). And the Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790 HD camera falls short on 50 Mbps, etc. that the EX-3 offers. As the saying goes, "If you want to archive for future use -- get the best..." AND. How would this camera hold up (in quality) with the S6000 + software = BluRay?

I am sure it is far better than using my DSR 150... Opinions anyone?
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: camera(s) what do you think?

Post by CKNewman »

One of the members of the Cassie Tips List posted this last week:
I found a thorough 12-minute YouTube review on the CX series SONY camcorders. This review is almost two years old, but it shows the features and results that you can expect from the newer versions of this line of camcorders. Some of us own the CX160, CX260V and other higher-end models of this line. My CX260V (at around $400, Amazon) is amazing and easily matches my SONY FX1 1080i HDV ($3999 List) DV-tape cams -- hard to tell which footage is which during multiple-camera shoots. I usually shoot in highest quality FX mode (24Mbps, AVC HD) or FH (17Mbps), and can get hours of non-stop footage on my 32GB SD card. I bought a six-hour battery at Amazon for less than $40. Enjoy!

Here is the video clip, if interested. Play the clip in 1080p or 720p.
Stunning footage and neat features.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAho0u38T0k
I wonder if there's a way to perform a side by side comparison.
Craig Newman
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Panasonic AG AC-90. Best bang for the buck right now. Best stabilizer on the market. Good travel camera and has two XLR's if you want to attach a mic.
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Post by stonepatterson »

Thanks for the suggestion on the Panasonic AG AC-90.

There are several reasons why the Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790 amazes me. Lets compare the two cameras.

1) First is size and weight. The Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790 is 3 x 3.3 x 5.5" while the AG AC-90 is 6.31 x 7.69 x 13.06". For being able to put a cam in my cargo (long leg or shorts) pants pocket... the Sony wins. Weight is also a factor, the Sony is 1.5 lb. with battery, while the Pana is 3.9 lb. The Sony wins in being lighter... something that matters when on foot. ALSO, in many countries they do not allow cameras in specific areas (for use without a permit) if they believe the camera is a pro camera... SIZE DOES MATTER. Plus with rain or water a factor, with the larger Pana camera I need to take a large-carry, water proof bag, with the smaller Sony camera -- a few freezer bags (folded up in my hip pocket) works fine.

2) Still picture quality. The Sony wins at JPEG: 24.1 Megapixel, 6554 x 3680 (16:9) vs. the Pana at 3 MP still photographs. Both allow pictures during video capture.

3) The Pana offers PS mode: approx. 28 Mbps (60p only) as the Sony gives 1920 x 1080p / 60 fps (28 Mbps)... BOTH ARE AVCHD.

4) The Sony offers an internal HD that allows 7 hr 30 min, HD PS while the Pana doesn't have an internal HD, both cameras offer use of SDXC/SDHC/SD memory cards. That is over 7 hrs of high quality 28 Mbps footage in the Sony internal HD. Amazing.

5) The Pana uses 1/4.7" X 3 MOS @ 2.19 MP (2,190,00 effective pixels). The Sony uses 1x 1/2.88" CMOS Sensor @ 6140000 @ Video 16:9. Sony wins, maybe?

6) Sony sells for Price: $1,598.00 while the Pana lists at $1,999.00. Sony wins.

The Pana gets a very high rating as does the newly released Sony, but the Sony is so new that few have yet to see the footage and reviewed quality of camera.

For traveling light, going to exotic and out of the ordinary locations, being able to leave my 16MP 35 mm camera at home... carry the camera in my pocket, not by hand. Hmmm. Really curious about quality of the image and audio (also the Sony mic is separate from camera and offers Dolby Digital 5.1 surround). If the Sony is a good buy, the only thing I need to add on my trips into strange locations, are my light weight tripod and LED lights... maybe a few cards.

But the Pana IS a nice camera too.

BUT WHAT is the quality of the image and audio? Need to know, cause even 1600.00 is a lot of cash for me... will take away from my savings for an EX-3 (which is way too big for traveling light).
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

If I might suggest in the future the Sony PMW-100 intry level XDCAM or even the PMW-160 a mid level camera would be great..The EX1 has been replaced by the new PMW-200 but it's around $7,000...the Sony model your considering is great for the money as well...just my thoughts...

Joel Brooks
MIT Video
http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
stonepatterson

Post by stonepatterson »

Ha... Just read that the Sony HDR-PJ790 won Best Camera of CES 2013. Guess before I start traveling in late summer... I'll have to get me one of these camcorders to put in my pocket. Anyone used one yet? What kind of results?
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Post by Alan »

Why has no one thought of the Pana HC-X920? Its a great little camera. Fits in the pocket, excellent image stabilisation, great AVCHD picture, very good reviews here in the UK. More than satisfied with mine.

Alan.
stonepatterson

Post by stonepatterson »

Alan,

Reading about the camera now at B & H. 3X 1/2.3 MOS Sensor is pretty cool. 8490000 Pixels @ 16X9! 1920X1080p/60fps = 28Mbps, also great rate = 5.3 hours on 64 GB card.

There are some interesting differences on audio, image choices and hard drive (incl. on the Sony), but the Pana price IS $600.00 cheaper.

You like the camera, Alan? Good find. Will check it out more. Works well with the S4000? No problem with S6000? Does it do 30i or 60i? I am always looking for the opportunity to use Twixter some times...

How do you think the Pana will compare with the Sony new stabilization system?

Good suggestion. Thanks.
stonepatterson

Post by stonepatterson »

Alan and everyone else,

Check this out these two cameras are pretty good! Sony HDR-PJ780 vs Panasonic HC-X920 Night / Low Light Footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gjVWdx10uY

And I hear they are fantastic for 3D work as well (buying two and parallel).
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Post by Alan »

Hi all,

The pana works well with the S4000pro. I first bought the TM700 version as a holiday camera a year or so ago. I then started to use it as a second camera to my big Canon HDV camera. To my surprise the TM700 exceeded my expectations in all areas. So I bought the HC-X920 which I now sometimes use as my first camera. I use a 'Beachtec box' so I can still use XLR cables for my mics. The 5 axis stabilisation is good, very good in fact. All manual conntrol is there but not as good as a 'pro' cam with seperate controls. The pana's manual controls can be accessed through the ring behind the lens as well as the on screen menu. It will do 50p here in PAL land, though I prefer interlaced. I expect it will do 60p in the USA. It has become something of a default camera in our club with at least six of us having one. It means that in a club video there is no problem matching shots in post.

Cheers Alan, hope this info helps.