Low quality on computer screen-Deinterlacing with Bogart7.1?

For all questions & tips related to Bogart Windows
calypsomultimedia
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 7.1 for Windows, Casablanca Prestige

Low quality on computer screen-Deinterlacing with Bogart7.1?

Post by calypsomultimedia »

I have just started working a week ago with Bogart7.1 for Windows - after many years of standard definition editing with a Cassy Classic first, then a Prestige. To my dismay, I've found that, while my films look good when played on tv screens, the quality on my computer monitor leaves much to be desired. If anything, some footage actually looks better after editing in standard def with the prestige.

My footage is shot primarily with a Sony XR550 an CX550 which shoots 60 interlaced frames. Would deinterlacing improve the quality of my finished films? As per Chet's - wonderful - tutorial on the Bogart 7 (or was it 6.3?) there was an option in the import menu for deinterlacing. However, I can't find any such options in the 7.1 version, the only choices being, in the format box of the "project" menu, "on (Interlace,i)" and "off (Progressive,p)". I've got the latter selected as, with the "interlace" option selected, the finished films weren't playing on tv screens.

All rather confusing as my camera shoots interlaced frames but I have to select the "progressive" option on the Bogart to be able to complete a project which, while playing fine on tv screens, doesn't look that good on my computer screen.

Any input welcome, thanks.
garymcnally
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro, Studio, Touch, Travel 2, Sapphire, Ultra, TV Studio 2, Portable TV Studio, and Titanium TV Studio. Bogart 10 Windows Desktops - Laptop -Tablet - Karat - S-6000 - S4100- Dell XPS 8930 with Intel i7-9700 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU, and 16Mb RAM. JVC GY-HD100U - JVC BR-HD50U - CANON HV20 - SONY AX33 4K

Re: Low quality on computer screen-Deinterlacing with Bogart

Post by garymcnally »

The Prestige was SD (Standard Definition). The resolution was 680 lines wide, times 480 lines tall, which is a Resolution of 326,400 thousand; or about 1/3 of a million. The old SD TV's were the same resolution, so everything looked great. Now we have 4K TV's, which have a resolution of 4,000,000. Or 2K, which is 2,000,000. So the HD monitors display 6 to 12 times the resolution of SD. If you are filling the whole TV screen, the footage is blown up 6 to 12 times to fit. For a better comparison, resize the Bogart Display size to 1/6th or 1/12th the size of the screen, and you have a closer representation of what it will look like on the same resolution screen.

If you work with SD, set the Bogart Settings screen output to LOW, and use the lowest resolution monitor you can find. The closer you can get to 680x480 the better. I've got some old ones here that do 800x600.

I like to shoot in Progressive 1920x1080p60, and monitor it on a 2K Monitor. All the monitors and DVD/BluRay players these days are Progressive, so you get no interlace artifacts. Here is what they look like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

If your camera won't shoot Progressive I would get a new cameras, but I'm sure you can get into your camera manuals and change the format to progressive. While stuck with Interlace, do use the deinterlace feature of Bogart.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

You may not have activated your Gold Edition of Bogart Win 7. It has a deinterlacer in the expert menu, which is inside the Import Menu. Contact your dealer if you didn't get the Gold Edition Code. It has all the features. The Bronze has the least, and the Silver more, but the Gold has it all. I know you do this for a living, so you definately want the Gold.

Or maybe Bogart 7 is not active in the Install Product Menu?
THANKS!
Gary McNally
gary@macrosystem.us