3 monitor set up

For all questions & tips related to Bogart Windows
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

3 monitor set up

Post by Christopher6206 »

I noticed weeks ago my Bogart OS struggling here and there, while I was at home with my 3 monitor set up. I was using an external hard drive. I took a holiday for 7 days, just took the Cassie laptop and everything worked great. Came home went back to the 3 monitor set up and while working on my project, after some weird hiccup everything froze. Nothing would play. I changed projects. Same thing. I re started the computer twice. I thought I had lost my hard drive. Then I unplugged the 2 external monitors and re started the PC.

And all is now fine. I just want folks to know to try this option before giving up on their external hard drive.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
mhuebmer
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca-4 Saphir (i7-6700k)+ NVidia 1050T
StudioPro + NVidia 1050Ti
Casablanca-4 piccolo
Karat, S-4100, DVC-3000
Displays: 32" 1920x1080p50 + 40" 3840x2160p50

Re: 3 monitor set up

Post by mhuebmer »

Christopher6206 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:50 pmeverything froze
Are we talking about the Windows operating system - or the BogartSE app - or 'just' the BogartSE playback :?:

More displays = less performance for each, depending on
  • the Windows OS energy plan
  • the display resolution
  • the display frame rate
The display used for video playback should also be set to the project resolution and project framerate :!: Otherwise the Windows OS must scale and/or add/drop non fitting frames.
Also, if you are talking of playback freeze, try a different setting in BogartSE / Settings / Record,Plackback / "Play mode": [Auto] [Simple] [Standard] :!:

Feedback of your screen settings and if another play-mode works would be nice. And don't forget to keep the Windows graphics drivers up to date!
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

I'm talking about the Bogart OS. Windows did not freeze. In Bogart nothing would play. It acted like it was playing in that I could see time code at the bottom of the screen but there was no picture or sound. This happened in the storyboard and the scene bin, and in more than one project. The external monitor I was running Bogart on is an Ultra Wide with resolution of 2560 X 1080. It's refresh rate is set to 59.919 Hz. Bogart displays the resolution at 1920 x 1080, meaning it does not fill the screen. I have not been able to get that to work. The power plan in Windows is set to "Balanced". Thanks for your reply.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
mhuebmer
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca-4 Saphir (i7-6700k)+ NVidia 1050T
StudioPro + NVidia 1050Ti
Casablanca-4 piccolo
Karat, S-4100, DVC-3000
Displays: 32" 1920x1080p50 + 40" 3840x2160p50

Post by mhuebmer »

I would
  • try if it makes any difference to run Bogart in Window mode, so the window can be 1920x1080 and the Windows OS does not need to fill the 2560 screen by stretching BogartSE... or BogartSE's full-screen Mode (where is will center the playback window).
  • set the refresh-rate to 60p, since that is the default for digital video
  • set the power plan to maximum (and plug in the power cord for video editing)
  • and see if the mentioned BogartSE "Play mode" change will do the job
If that did not help - go thru my check-list for Bogart Windows:
  1. Use a Windows screen resolution of 1920x1080 and a frame-rate, fitting to the project FPS (no 60fps for 30fps projects) :!:
  2. Keep Windows, Intel and nVidia software at the latest state, that provides green check-marks in the BogartSE hardware test :!:
  3. Use the BogartSE default Screen/Window setting of "High" with full-screen mode (no real-time down-scaled window mode) :!:
  4. Prevent Windows Defender from checking each file BogartSE needs to read, by adding the AV-Data or Disc-Juggler Directory as an exception :!:
  5. Uninstall any third-party antivirus software, sneaking between data on disc, Windows Defender and BogartSE :!:
  6. Disable any unneeded background task (or Windows Autostart task) grabbing some percent of the system resources :!:
  7. Shut off the Windows Background-Apps in the Windows settings :!:
  8. Keep your hand on the mouse while the playback is running, so Windows knows you are still active and won't start any cleanup operations in the background :!: