Scene to Sample, "bug"

For all questions & tips related to Bogart Windows
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Scene to Sample, "bug"

Post by Christopher6206 »

Just wanted to throw this out there for the developers. I filmed 4 interviews on location for a presentation at a later date. One of the interviewees could not make it, so I shot a Green Screen interview in my home, of that one person. All interviews shot in HD, shotgun mic on left channel, lavalier mic on right channel. The idea being, that the shotgun mic could be used as back up or mixed with the lavalier in post for a more natural sound. When working on the Green Screen interview, I had 3 clips. I added my background with Blu Box World, and then trimmed them appropriately. I generally record audio at a low level, because I know I can always raise the volume to whatever I want, but "too loud" can't be fixed. So I do a "Scene to Sample" of all 3 Blu Box World Clips. I then go in to do my audio mix. I create 2 new audio clips from each original clip. One with the left on both channels and one with the right on both channels. And I start playing around with the mix. Both of the new clips cannot be raised in volume no matter how high I raise it. It registers on screen in the audio mix screen, as far as the channels. Like I see it going up, visually. But the audio itself isn't any louder. So I went back to my original Green Screen version of the interview, matched that up with my Blu Box World Clips, and then used "Scene to Sample" on those and then repeated what I was trying to do. It is now working correctly. Does that make sense?
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
mhuebmer
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca-4 Saphir (i7-6700k)+ NVidia 1050T
StudioPro + NVidia 1050Ti
Casablanca-4 piccolo
Karat, S-4100, DVC-3000
Displays: 32" 1920x1080p50 + 40" 3840x2160p50

Re: Scene to Sample, "bug"

Post by mhuebmer »

Unfortunately I can't follow your workflow...
Christopher6206 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:04 pmSo I do a "Scene to Sample" of all 3 Blu Box World Clips.
I guess/hope you took the audio from the original interview scene. Depending on the usage of the BlueBox Transition FX, you either have no audio from the person (when using the keying scene as Insert on a background, with the background audio) or audio will fade from background audio to keying scene audio. Scene->Sample does just that. If the scene construction in the Storyboard did not have the correct audio, the sample won't have either.

Normal workflow should be:
  • Split audio from original scene
  • add background + Insert in Storyboard
  • add original audio in Audio-Mix, where the "Volume LR" effect can be directly used to lower or raise left+right Independent (+/- 20db), or use "Copy Left->Right / Copy Left<-Right" to get one channel on both + "Volume" (+/- 20db)
Did that solve the problem :?:
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Re: Scene to Sample, "bug"

Post by Christopher6206 »

Using the audio from the original green screen clip solved the problem. Maybe not a "Bug" but lesson learned. Thanks.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705