wonder where this is going?

Learn more about your Casablanca at these events
videojim
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S6000, with 4.1G Bogart.

wonder where this is going?

Post by videojim »

The MGT for 2011 was a good time for seeing friends, and getting somebody else's stuff they didn't want. Swap Meet/Yard Sale table qualifies as Best New Feature of it. Stuff sold as soon as it hit the table, and there were MANY useful items.
As to keeping the sessions on their start times, it was hurting. Some because lunch was held up by late starting/long running morning sessions. The discipline of adhering to posted start/end times was sadly lacking, partly due to equipment problems, as well as presenter issues. Didn't learn as much as I would have liked to.
If we are going to have a larger meeting with more formats/presenters, this is a major issue for MGT.
Not to mention it, but the hotel REALLY did not want us there, they made that plain in many ways.
So, we will see how/if this is able to evolve into a larger gathering with more formats, sponsors, equipment makers, sessions and people successfully. Jim you sure did your best with it this year, that I have to allow. Hats off to Mr. Meeker for 7 good years!
Skype ID-talkingrock756
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Re: wonder where this is going?

Post by TimKennelly »

I noticed that attitude at the Holiday Inn where Jim first hosted the MGT.

I just don't get that.

Jim brings in a guaranteed minimum hotel room commitments, they make additional money on the seminar rooms that would otherwise stand empty making nothing, make money in the restaurant and bar from the attendees and they make money on the seminar lunches they sell.

Why would a hotel not be eager to make attendees feel appreciated.

It isn't like the hotel business is booming and they have better gigs to deal with, especially in a non-tourist area like the Moline area!?!

Kudos to Jim for perservering, especially in light of his own health and the terrible ongoing economy.
Last edited by TimKennelly on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

For some reason my post posted twice.
Last edited by TimKennelly on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim Kennelly
Bobbie
Casablanca Unit: S4000, 3 Solitaires OS 9 (8), Arabesk 4, most all software, 2 Avios

Post by Bobbie »

I do not agree with these statements Jim. I learned new things about equipment that I had sitting around and why they are so good and received FIVE FULL PAGES of the OLDER EQUIPMENT TO LOOK FOR that can help you strive in a TRANSFER BUSINESS with honest answers to why certain equipment and jobs are better than others. I learned new ways to add and adjust audio in ProShow Producer and saw a demonstation of how to make cool graphics with ProShow that I have not been doing and now easily can, I saw that the 'USED EQUIPMENT' did sell very fast, Don Simmons sold 8 things the first day as they hit the table and same for many others. I was introduced to a NEW LIFE HISTORY PROGRAM from Memory Vision that was presented and offered at a discount which I purchased and am anxious to use, their presentation included many samples, powerful quotes and their helpful hints of 'what works and what did not work for them' smoothing the path for others and I drueled to see the GRIZZLY REMOTE in action and am wishing to get it ($3000) as ONE person could offer such a fine, professional production, it definately looks like an entire crew at work! I presented dozens of ways to earn more money, where to go to find the work that I am doing, forms to help you get started and how I get inspired to work and edit. I know there is plenty more, The 'only problems I saw' were with the fact that two presentations needed to be presented in DUAL MODE and it was not realized until they were on stage, but BOTH INDIVUALS continued to present and explain their presentation and are sending in a video presentation for the website. The Canon D7 explained and used in the film process in which I was 2nd assistant and learned and enjoyed very much....Roger shared settings that work best with the S4000 and explained why lighting was changed and at what angles, why he shoots scenes in certain order and I had great fun helping the actors learn their lines in the movie. And OH YES..............Justin! Justin put on a special show and two presentations with GREAT NEWS from the company and showed us the
lastest from the new units with BOTH MODELS there to play with and dozens of features for the new OS explained and demonstated in great detail.

Bobbie
Memories On Tape
Davison, MI
S4000, (3) Solitaires, (2) Avios and 'oh yes a NEW S-3000 ON THE WAY! :D
Last edited by Bobbie on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bobbie
Casablanca Unit: S4000, 3 Solitaires OS 9 (8), Arabesk 4, most all software, 2 Avios

Post by Bobbie »

I further disagree with those statements Jim, as why would you say the hotel did not want us there?
They held employees over to serve us dinner when the restaurant was closed during the week and we all ate in the bar area, they had lunch ready and on time everyday, breakfast was FREE this year, included with your room price but they did have a mix up on 'which room was wanted for the banquet' but quickly added a portion to the room they already had made up and provided a CASH BAR at the entrance. The presentation room was cleaned everyday with fresh linens and ice tea, coffee and water. For Roger's movie production, they asked what we wanted and brought all of the things to us very fast, I personally talked with the manager several times and he made sure we had what we asked for every time I came back and asked for something else added to our list. My room was cleaned everyday very nicely and ALL EMPLOYEES were VERY KIND TO ME and others around me saying 'good morning' 'good evening' as we met passing in the hall. I do not understand your statement about the hotel.
JoeConnell
Casablanca Unit: Classic ~ S4000 - S400Pro

Post by JoeConnell »

WOOOO...

It seems "Mr Williams" viewed the MGT a little different than the rest of us. Yes, during the 3 1/2 days of the MGT there were a few glitches that 95% of the attendees were not aware of and they were handled on the spot. There is no way any convention goes 100% perfectly. Over the 7 past years I have attended the MGT, this year was as great as the rest.

Regarding the hotel... the employees loved having us there and I spoke to a lot of them. They did everything to make sure we were taken care of. Yes, the management did TRY to make adjustments by opening the restaurant by did not add enough staff to cover everyone for good service. It was not the staffs fault, they did their best.

Regarding the quirks in connections... when there are as many differnt systems used by all of us and adding dual projectors, switchers, mics hand held wired and wireless and lapel, PCs laptops, DVD players, cameras from 5 different angles and manufacturers... yes, we had a quirk here and there but we were able to work with it.

Now, what did I get out of this years MGT?
I had a fun time with friends I only see once a year. I learned many new tips and tricks from the presentations that were given. I met Shara Palen, Buddy Wacket and Justin Philpott... what more could I ask for? How about the fun I had giving my presentation on Single Camera QuadCam... honestly, it was more of an entertaiment act that MnM would have been proud of. But I had to return to 8 Mile Road to my home in Detroit.

The many people behind the scenes who help put this together who are always there when needed for set up, set changes
and make sure the MGT runs like a well oiled wheel... Ken Smithers, Tom Harlan, Gary Pinger, Carl Johnson,
Steven Schwartz and Ken Smithers... get my thumbs up ! ! !

And NO, Ken Smithers typed twice was not a typo...
Ken saved my arse getting my footage from disc transfer into Jim's Solitaire that was having a melt down...
and with his suggestion of having a "Plan B" (just in case) gave my performance a full "R" rating with all the drama,
laughter and tears that ended with a standing ovation THANK YOU and I owe you free drinks next year !!!

My thoughts in two words.... FREAKIN' GREAT !!!!
(sorry, I'm from Detriot, and the hidden "F" word was filled in for those who could not take it)
>[EDIT Reason]>>Sorry Jim W. if our last 3 1/2 half days together joking about going to school together got Chet upset... maybe if he had been there he would have understood and not blasted me !!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by JoeConnell on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joe Connell
ccuvideo@gmail.com
A1 Video Professionals
www.A1VideoProfessionals.com
Connell Creations Unlimited
www.ConnellCreationsUnlimited.com
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

I have attended a lot of video conferences over the years held by WEVA, the 4EVERGroup and MGT and late starts due to tech difficulties and seminar overruns are common at all of them.

I do think the 4EVERGRoup handled them best by accounting for them with scheduling flexibility.

They would have twenty minute breaks between seminars and host only two or three in the morning, with a solid break in the middle of the day.

This kept problems from accumulating and snowballing over the entire day's schedule.

The lunch break allowed the convention time to fix any problems and get the schedule back on track and also allowed the attendees time for a leisurely social lunch and time to refresh before "hitting the books" with several afternoon seminars.

I will say I don't think anyone is qualified to tell anyone else they are wrong on whether they are ecstatic or disappointed in what they took away from a conference as it really depends on the individual's specific interests and how close the seminars touch on their particular business or hobby.

I personally attended all Expos as much for the social comradery of like minded peers as for any technical learning.

I have left many conventions a bit disappointed in what I had learned over all, but satisfied in the fact that even a few key nuggets made it worthwhile, especially with the social peer benefit factored in.

Regarding the MGT hotel, as mentioned the staff at the original Holiday Inn location, they made it very clear in their actions and body language that the attendees and the conference was a burden for them from the first year on and the hotel itself went physically downhill each year from leaking roofs, faulty air conditioning to attendees getting locked INSIDE their rooms.

Moving it was a brilliant move by Jim.

I could not attend the last two years, but I found the staff to be pleasant and accommodating in the years I did attend at the Clarion.
Last edited by TimKennelly on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Kennelly
JoeConnell
Casablanca Unit: Classic ~ S4000 - S400Pro

Post by JoeConnell »

Ohhh, I seem to have cut it too short on what I really got out of attending the 2011 MGT.

I learned the words to The Lion Sleeps Tonight thanks to Justin Philpott, the Canadians from the great white north,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCM2nJfLD-0
We-de-de-de - De-de-de-de-de - De-we-um-um-a-way - We-de-de-de - De-de-de-de-de - We-um-um-a-way
A-wimoweh, a-wimoweh - A-wimoweh, a-wimoweh - A-wimoweh, a-wimoweh - A-wimoweh, a-wimoweh
A-wimoweh, a-wimoweh - A-wimoweh, a wimoweh - A-wimoweh, a-wimoweh - A-wimoweh, a-wimoweh

In the jungle The mighty jungle The lion sleeps tonight In the jungle The quiet jungle The lion sleeps tonight
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I learned that Jorg is still playing with his slingshot... :o
Carol Lee Shirk can cut hair... :?
Sam George is a psychic... King of Spades :shock:
Some systems require dual monitor for things to work correctly, like the Solitaire "Ice Cube" :oops:
~~~~~~~~
and if you attended... let's hear from you !

...Bobbie... you will have to continue the tridition of Grand Prize Winner producing a video on who they are.
Regarding: "The 'only problems I saw' were with the fact that two presentations needed to be presented in DUAL MODE and it was not realized until they were on stage, but BOTH INDIVUALS continued to present and explain their presentation and are sending in a video presentation for the website."

This year, we will have a section on the web site for Attendees Only and that is where all related videos of presentaions will be located... No longer will people be able to expierence the MGT after the it is over on the internet. If you attend you have privlidges... If you were one of the many who attended, there will be video presentations, photos to download and much more... If you did not attend, only photos will be available to VIEW but not video clips of the presentations.

Maybe next year you will remember the March Get Together and choose wisely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joe Connell
ccuvideo@gmail.com
A1 Video Professionals
www.A1VideoProfessionals.com
Connell Creations Unlimited
www.ConnellCreationsUnlimited.com
JohnKleban
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with SE 7

Post by JohnKleban »

Like Tim and others, I have enjoyed the March Gathering over the years. Due to some scheduling conflicts and money needed for some significant equipment upgrades, I was unable to attend the past two years.

For what it's worth, just a few thoughts, observations, etc. over the years, as well as looking towards the future...

1) I always thought the recording of the event was counter-productive; it takes away too much time from those running things behind the scenes and to release DVDs of the event makes for an easy excuse for one to opt out from attending the event in person. I would totally skip this pain in the *ss aspect of the event completely. If one does not make it, then you miss out on the lectures, period.

2) I never cared for the lunch and learns; I always thought there should be a 90 min. lunch break each day to allow attendees to socialize and sneak-out to some other surrounding restr. to enjoy lunch among fellow Cassie family members. Plus, just from a mental stand-point, I'd put that lunch break in there; people need to step away, rest their brains, so when they return they’re refreshed and fully attentive.

3) The final Dinner Banquet on Thursday; since the days of Jorg attending to discuss possible new features, etc. have ended a few years ago, I'd scrap that completely as well and instead, offer up reservations at a nearby restr. that is a tad more high-end, and car-pool over with groups that final day (or take the hotel bus). Each pays for whatever they order, period. This would save money all around, esp. for Jim who puts a lot on the line with this, cost wise, etc. With people coming in from out of town, why not let folks get a bit more of the taste of the area and experience more, vs. (let's be honest), an average buffet meal served by the hotel? That way, no one is under any more work and stress to get the room set-up, etc., as there will be no need for hooking up a projector, screen, mic, etc. - that can all easily be eliminated.

4) I think promotion of the event itself should occur during the last quarter of the previous year; in late Oct. and Nov. is when I'd offer early registration discounts - we need to hit people before they over-spend around the holidays and this also gives folks time to secure vacation time from their employers if necessary and plan in advance. Pushing this in Jan. and Feb. seems a tad late, at least in my opinion. Also, I’d rent a smaller room for all of this and perhaps even limit the amount who can attend; i.e. promote it that this next event is limited to just 50 seats or something – doing so gets those interested in committing right away and puts a spark under those who may be sitting on the fence; knowing that if they wait too long, they could miss out and the event could be sold-out!

5) Finally, I always thought we should have opened up our quest speakers to include even non-Cassie users; which I’m glad to see happening the past couple of years. There are so many aspects to what we do; running the business, types of events to cover, business opportunities, etc., that input from other editors is a nice welcome too.

Anyway, I applaud Jim for everything he has single-handily achieved with bringing all of us together to make this a great social and learning experience.

I guess with the changing economy and Jim cutting things close the past couple of years in terms of getting costs covered – I’m simply offering up these changes so hosting such a future event isn’t so risky cost wise (and stressful); again, forget the taping of the event (too many headaches and not worth it), rent-out a smaller lecture room (for 30-50 people or so; more intimate the better!!), give regular lunch breaks so out-of-towners can get more of a taste of the city, scrap the Thursday night dinner at the hotel and instead go out to a nicer type restaurant, promote the event a bit sooner and finally, so Jim or anyone hosting isn’t putting so much on the line, even do away with hotel room commitments – people just pay whatever the room rate is for a couple of days – and in the end, I think all that would be needed would be the rental of a conference room and a limited amount of audio/video gear for presentation purposes; that’s it.

And the other plus to this (what I just mentioned), is I think it will allow for Jim to be more visible and able to attend things with his fellow Cassie friends as well; I always felt it odd, even guilty, that Jim runs around doing so much throughout the show, that he himself isn’t able to break-away to spend time with fellow users like we all do.

Anyway, glad to hear the show this year went well over-all, I missed seeing everyone and I hope to make it next year.

John
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Post by CasablancaExpert »

I too did not attend the MGT 2011 due to other conflicts, so I am not qualified to comment on the specific goings-on. The bit I heard from some attendees suggests there was good learning and that it was a valuable experience for them.

I am compelled to say Joe that I totally disagree with your choice of words in your opening comment above. I think it highly inappropriate and distasteful to make references to one's character or ability, whether that remark is made based on supposition or first-hand knowledge. I believe this is truly the 'low road', especially when someone disagrees with you on an opinion or the salient facts of a situation.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com