Entry level DSLR

A place to talk equipment, other than Casablanca
nighvideo
Casablanca Unit: Prestige / and Casablance s-4100

Re: Entry level DSLR

Post by nighvideo »

Well here we go again. In the late 80's and 90's the photogs did not like videographers. They felt that they were competing for artistic ground and possibly taking away business. It's always been my contention that video and stills were totally different in their own way, but they felt different about that. So now I can see the animosity growing amongst photogs and videogs again with videographers carrying around still cameras. So... here we go again. I think I'll stick with my Canon A1, the servo zoom, the superior audio it delivers, 60i, a nice lightweight LED light, and all the elegance that Bogart offers. and.... archive with tape :) . Sometimes things are better when kept simple. Sometimes one must rely on technique and composition rather than gimmickry. And yes... the electronics industry runs on fads. They already have the next format that will beat HD on DSLR waiting on the shelf, of course after they have sold enough of the other stuff first.;)
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Sorry but how can you say there is or will be animosity between Photograhers & Videographers who both use the same SLR equipment if you have never done it yourself ? My experience is the complete opposite we are getting more respect from Photographers because we now have to do the same manual exposures that they do, all this in an uncontrlled environment !
And when they see the final product on line they are blown away !!! For the most part they have no idea how we do it and they Know they couldn't pull it off !!
very few of them cross over to video and if they do it is mostly average at best.. There are some exceptions of course some do cross over and create magic. There are a few that are defensive and give off some attitude but that is the exception not the rule.
How can you say that your simple way of shooting video is better if you have never tried HDSLR's yourself ?
better how ? I have tripled my revenue making the shift over to SLR's because every tool I use now has improved my production value and Client's with money recognize the difference.
nighvideo

Post by nighvideo »

I'm not picking an argument here. I've seen what you can do.. and your work is amazing at least. I'm just stating where I'm coming from in all of this. Western New York is a little different in that aspect. Some people, are trying to gel together the 2 arts... in my opinion.. each art is different. And I myself, would not attempt to shoot video and stills at the same time. Dont know if one could accomplish that. Although.. the videographer has 60fps, down to 24fps to choose a frame grab from. And shooting hslr.. i'm sure the frame grabs are awsome, however, you cant shoot action for a still, or vice versa, i think you know what i mean. I'm just going by what some of the photogs in this area have said. Which should not make any difference to me anyway. I've been shooting weddings since 1986, back then, photogs seen you as a threat, and did not want to share the day with you. Again.. thats western new york. maybe that makes a difference.. dont know. I've been through every format known to man. Pushing 60 in age, and hate change... i apologize for that. Up till now, have not even considered hslr... just decided to judge it on what it does not have. Those things being, servo zoom, 60i, etc.etc., all those things i would have to "change" if i switched. Sooo i decided to research (which i should have done in the beginning, price tag and functions being the main factors). I stumbled upon Sony Alpha Series hslr.. well it seems sony is building these with the videographer in mind. 60i for action. 24p for film look. and yes... servo zoom. very, very affordable. Total manual or full auto control. and yes... auto hdr as well (if you want it.. not quite sure what for, maybe for the digitized shot the photog didnt get? just jokin). So.. I stand corrected in all of this, not afraid to admit when I "may be" wrong, and am looking for some suggestions.
Any opinion of these cams Mr Renaud? and for lens length.. (18-55mm etc. etc.) what would be the equivalent to 12x in a video cam? Would appreciate your help in this. Did'nt mean of offend anyone :)
Franklinbencosme
Casablanca Unit: B4 WINDOWS main edit system S-6000 as BACKUP and old tapes edit

Post by Franklinbencosme »

:) :D
BobC
Casablanca Unit: Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7

Post by BobC »

I bought a Sony Alpha 37 ($600). About to order a telephoto zoom lens to go with it (another $650). My primary cameras are the Panasonic AG-AC130 and 150. Just bought them this year, so I have no plans to replace them with DSLR cams anytime soon. As stated in the original post, most of my work is long form, stage shows, recitals and such, and they are awesome for that. However, it doesn't hurt to add capabilities and I see this as giving me another tool to advance my business. And short term, it will make my upcoming vacation to Wyoming and Montana easier by needing only one camera to capture stills and video :D .
Bob Claxton
Heritage Video

Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

I get not wanting to spend money or time on new learning curves, but frankly, both are the price of staying and succeeding in business. I don't put any worth in factoring in whether changing equipment will make photogs "like" us more or less as they are never going to "like" us. We are competition for the bride's budget, pure and simple so we are always going to be the "enemy" or competition and they and we will just have to continue the professional necessity of co-existing. The Alpha's are an interesting new direction, please keep us informed Bob on your experiences with the format.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

No problem nighvideo :) I just have experience with Canon (by default since the 5d II was the best for video a couple years ago but not anymore so good luck on your search) I LOVE the 5d & 7d and can recommend these.
All our lenses are L-series and I have seen the difference between a cheap and expensive lens. It does make a difference.

Good luck Bob and please share some work with your new Sony would love to see it !

Up here I don't know why but 80% of the photographers that I have worked with on these Super Bowl weddings are happy to work with us and vice versa
since we refer each other all the time + put each others links on our Blog entries or on Facebook so its mutual most of the time...its not important that they like us but its important they respect that we have a job to do like they have...we cater to the higher end incomes so budget is not as much of an issue maybe thats why not sure. The other 20% is a little rougher around the edges but before a client signs with us we make sure that they tell their photographer that we also have a job to do and you are paying between $3700-$4200 (2012 pricing) for your wedding film !! The photographers they hire are around that price range so video has caught up a bit ! If they want the memories on video to match their photography budget then they just cut somewhere else its that simple.
There is only one photographer so far that I will not work with in my area period... so if the client has already sign with him we kindly refuse the job.
nighvideo

Post by nighvideo »

thanks to all for your timely responses in this interesting subject. can anyone tell me what slr lens would be equal to a 12x zoom on a video cam. this would make it much easier for me to choose a sony alpha bundle as B&H are bundling these cams with lenses. Thanks.
BobC
Casablanca Unit: Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7

Post by BobC »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... 5_6_3.html This one equates to 14x according to the write-up. It is what I am ordering.
Bob Claxton
Heritage Video

Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7
nighvideo

Post by nighvideo »

Thanks very much Bob C. thats very helpful. may i ask what your shooting your video with? since i think these lenses only work with sony alpha? and how well does your dslr perform? thanks