Best image and audio quality at low price?

A place to talk equipment, other than Casablanca
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Best image and audio quality at low price?

Post by stonepatterson »

In reading the threads on the CasablancaForum.US --- I find many fellow video/film makers striving for the same thing I am. Highest quality of audio and image with the ease of the Casablanca editing system while trying to keep costs at a minimum.

I am pulling several threads from elsewhere on this forum to this one location with the hopes that all will view and add their two cents.

The PMW300 blows the EX3 out of the water on so many levels (date of availability for purchase has been pushed back by Sony). Price is the same as the EX3 (which has been discontinued). The Samurai Blade offers affordable, top-of-the-line recording and archiving at such a low price! Why is there not more interest on these threads?

I hope that these new technologies are compatible with my S6000 unit. Life will be so much easier and my productions will be affordable and awesome to watch and hear! Isn't that what all of us want as well?

The Sony PMW300 records audio using the Linear Pulse-Code Modulation method of lossless encoding at 24 bits, 48 kHz with 4 separate channels to work with. If I am buying this camera, I will use all 4 audio channels -- with XLR high-quality microphones on location shoots.

I will be shooting HD on the 422 mode -- 50 Mbps, (MPEG-2). Will I have any problems converting audio and image to a S6000 from the PMW300?

Trying to avoid the high cost of 64 GB SxS Pro cards... I am also looking a buying a Samurai Blade system allowing me to use 500 Gb & 750 Gb 7200 rpm -- 2.5 hard drives @ $59.00 each (saves me a fortune and I am able to archive).

It is hard to get any straight answers about compatibility. Ahhhh new technology! The PMW300 release date by Sony has been pushed back. This camera offers sooooo much at a reasonable price. I hope that I can pull the whole planned system together and make it work.

I love the ease of working with my S6000. I am able to do other projects while I wait the long renderings -- so time is never lost. I also love the final results of my projects on the S6000. But I do want to move forward with new camera technologies. My Pro DVcam cameras are dying of old age. Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!
Franklinbencosme
Casablanca Unit: B4 WINDOWS main edit system S-6000 as BACKUP and old tapes edit

Re: Best image and audio quality at low price?

Post by Franklinbencosme »

Hey Stone ..good morning, what kind of video work you are doing ? :idea:
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Post by stonepatterson »

Last month I did a 12 minute intro film for a haunted attraction. The film was a narrative short about an acting carnival troupe (fire breather, short person, bed of nails - box of swords, bearded lady, tattooed lady, snake handler with hundreds of snakes, etc.) that were on their way to Hollywood from doing a carnival show in Cleveland, Ohio for a remake production of Tod Browning's FREAKS in 1953. The troupe -- parts of they're bodies were found, hacked-up and dismembered except for the snake handler, his snakes and the tattoo lady (foxy) were not found. They haunt the grounds... looking for revenge. Done as a newsreel from the 1950's, etc. with audio and visual scares. I was involved as key writer, director, cameraman, editing -- everything from script to scream.

I am currently involved in pre-production on several high-end music videos for sales, promos and marketing on DVD, BluRay disc and internet. 10 groups are signing on so far.

I am involved also in pre-production on a series of documentaries and interviews within the haunted attraction industry that will be used in documentary videos (DVD, BluRay and Internet distribution).

Will also be doing several new, legacy-style videos. This work is on a off and on at a full time/part time basis. I make my own hours but have to work around the business schedules of the above. Some weeks are 80 hour and others -- just shooting archive footage for later use. I do a lot of photoshop cleaning of old photographs and converting them to 1080p formatting.

People get sick and have something to say to their living relatives... before they pass on. I am there for them. I, personally, love the stories. I do not charge a lot for my services -- most of my clients have little money.

I will never get rich doing what I do. But I love making something from nothing and helping others whenever I can.
Franklinbencosme
Casablanca Unit: B4 WINDOWS main edit system S-6000 as BACKUP and old tapes edit

Ok for you Music videos I recommend any Canon (this is what I use ) DSLR,this will blow away any video camera,yes the sound is not good
but the QUALITY is AMAZING..

For the other videos you are doing,any video camera like this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... order.html
and of course depends on your budget to what is better for you.

Ones you go to any DSLR video,you will never go back to video camera,this happens to me

good luck..Franklin

ps- you like Sony ? looks this new and TREMENDOUS model
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... amera.html
stonepatterson

Post by stonepatterson »

Sorry, I disagree. Canon DSLR will not "blow away any video camera." That is just puffing with your personal bias. There was a series of tests done comparing various high-end camcorders and DSLRs on VIMEO (3 part series). DSLRs might score a few points above prosumer/consumer video cameras but not when shown side-by-side with professionals doing a comparison with high-end pro video cameras.

I can not use DSLRs with what I do. I have a 18 MP DSLR and do not like using it for video. PERIOD.
DSLRs over heat. I use cameras that can be left on record for hours.
DSLRs do not have the ability for continuous run.
Moire is a problem with DSLRs.
I do not like their lack of balance and size.
For me DSLRs are not an option.

I have had this discussion with several, different DSLR owners many times. When I show them what I do, how I do what I do -- they agree, I am not someone who should or would use a DSLR camera for video recording. I would love a F55 or F5 -- but those cameras are way out of my price range and are not compatible with the S6000. I have no interest in DSLR video shooting. The PMW300 @ 50 Mbps will do all that I need for it to do -- if it is compatible with the S6000. The Samurai Blade will allow me to record for hours, high end video that can be archived as needed, cheaply. IF it is compatible with the S6000.
Franklinbencosme

Well for my experience,DSLR works better for me,I am talking in my case,they will be others folks that will never
like the DSLR .and others will love DSLR, I am with those,my comparison is based in my 2 SONY Z5(getting dust)so
there is my point,I never try a different SONY,CANON or PANASONIC video camcorder to see more results.

I do high end weddings videos and believe me if they see you with a traditional video camera, you look outdated
but this is in MY WEDDING MARKET.

People here(Dominican Republic) that do MUSIC VIDEOS ,90% used DSLR(Nikon,Canon,Sony) the others are using Red Scarlet,Epic,or Black Magic.

This does not mean that if you not have a DSLR you could not do a good job, of course is possible, but the image quality and depth of
fields, are very difficult to do in a traditional camera.

This is my CASE !!..Franklin

PS- is there any one here that still shoots 4x3 SD format ?
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Interesting topic. I HATE my Nikon HDSLR.
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Maybe Franklin was focusing on the original question asked.
"Best image and audio at low price ?"

For us that's a decent HDSLR with a H4n Zoom recorder. I would still recommend that over any other regular HD camera below 6K if we are talking about best image at a low price.

Yes its a lot more work in post but in a controlled environment why not ? A lot of people in this community frown upon HDSLR's yet a _very_ high percentage of video's on Vimeo for instance
are all HDSLR's. That's a a lot of footage using these cameras. People must be seeing what Franklin and I are seeing as well.

If you want unlimited recording time use 2 and you will be fine. I shoot full weddings with multiple cams and nothing over heats.

I thought you mostly shot movies ? It seems though the 12 min is a big deal for you and I understand that but best image at low price ?

It's been 3 full yrs now of for me using exclusively using HDLSR's If ever you change your mind I would be happy to help in any way I can.
Syl
Franklinbencosme

Hey !! SYL ! you get the hit,hahahaha

Yes that was the way I focus my answer and in the equipment that we use for WEDDINGS and social events,and explain why
I will never(I hope),buy another traditional camcorder,and look what SONY is announced to the new wave of DSLR for
people that want to change to DSLR but keeping many functions from TRADITIONAL CAMCORDERS.... :D

Franklin !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaTmI2x0FO8