Camera choice?

A place to talk equipment, other than Casablanca
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Camera choice?

Post by Alan »

Hi folks,

At the moment I'm using a Canon XH/A1 and the little Panasonic HC-X900. I'm thinking of getting the Panasonic AH-AC 130A. What are its good and bad points?

Cheers Alan

Sorry I put this in the wrong section yesterday.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Re: Camera choice?

Post by LouBruno »

I own this camera. It is better to be used in manual mode. The auto focus is finicky in contrasts areas. Also, I suggest a monopod as it is tiresome to hold after awhile. I use a shoulder brace.

The good news is that it is a remarkable camera with many scene files to choose. I would suggest files 1 and 3. File 1 just needs a little color boost. File 3 is good for outside and special events. It is called Sparkle.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi Lou,

Thanks for your comments on the 130a. I decided to get one and yes it is an excellent camera. My first shoot with it (after much playing with it) was at a fire station where a local children’s charity leader was having a look over a fire engine and equipment.

I do like having the manual zoom, pull in, focus, out, frame and shoot. And a really good quality picture too that grabs your attention. Sound from a Sennheiser shot gun mic set to manual. Minus 40 db seems to be a good setting for this. Most shots set on the tripod but hand held in the cab. So far I'm wary of the scene files and prefer to tweak in post. DRS looks useful for some shots, but it certainly causes problems of noise in a night shot, it must put gain on top of gain. I'm pleasantly surprised how good a night street shot is at 12 db gain.

Cheers Alan
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Just dropped by here to see your posting. Yes...the camera is excellent. The best scene file is #3 for all around video. I have very special scenes that I downloaded from the PANASONIC site. One is their RICH and STYLIN setting which I manually programmed. I even find that the 2X digital is rather clean....but not above. In any event, a good monopod or tripod is essential for long shoots. Good Luck.
methuenbill
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Studio Pro (unable to use with latest software) The old reliable S6000 still working and using till Studio Pro works. Avio DVD, IMac, Panasonic AG-AC30, 3 Panasonic AG-UG90 last Bogart software and Arabesk release

Post by methuenbill »

I have used the Panasonic Ag-Ac90 it has performed well. It's almost half the cost. You may want one for a backup camera.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks for the idea. I use the Panasonic 920 for back up and as an occasional second camera when the light is good. Most important is that it is also my holiday camera. Keep it in mt pocket and point and shoot. I accept the oocasional scene that is poorly exposed with dreadful colour balance.

Good shooting Alan.