Importing .m2t files

The Ins and Outs of it.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Importing .m2t files

Post by Christopher6206 »

I am trying to import .m2t files into an HD project of mine. There are 2 files. One is around 5GB and the other is almost 10GB. They are at 1440 X 1080. My PC says they are at 25 frames per second. I'm not sure how to tell if they are interlaced or progressive. I have my cassie set to HD 1440 x 1080. I've tried setting it to interlace and progressive. SInce the PC says frames instead of fields per second my belief is that this is a progressive file. The USB edit record function crashes the computer everytime. I've been able to import the 5 GB file using MM into the archives and then import it into the project. But the 9.78GB file doesn't work. MM just says "error 1" on importing selected file. MM will play the file and recognize it's there , just won't import. Is it because of the 25 frames per second thing when the cassie is set to 30 frames? (30P) Using the edit record USB and having the project settings to interlaced or progressive gives the same result. (And yes I am starting with an empty project) What am I missing here? File to large? Should I split it and try again using third party software? Should I try to convert it to something that is 30 frames per second? Please help! This client originally wanted me to edit from standard DVDs which I talked him out of since that is a horrible way to edit, particularly when the original footage is HD. Thanks.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Re: Importing .m2t files

So I was able to split the 10 GB file into 2 smaller clips thinking this might help. Using "Corel Digital Studio" on my PC and burning the files to Blu Ray it made 2 AVCHD files that were around 6 GB each. This time at 29 frames per second. Trying to import them through the record window USB crashed the computer as usual. But importing into MM Archives worked and I was able to then import them into the project. Problem is, this is a football highlight reel and when the players start running or just moving too fast they are blurry, like there is an echo of their image trailing behind them slightly. I again tried importing the file into a project that was set at 30p and again at 60i. Both had the same result. I really need to be able to import video files that were not made on a cassie, into my cassie. Why do I always have problems when doing this? My S4000-Pro now lists these new files as .m2ts instead of .m2t. Maybe I really just need to take a course on video data files. Problems with Cassie machines aren't really address much on the web except for here that I know of. If anyone has advice I'd appreciate it. Maybe the echo's of the footage will disappear once I output the final video but somehow I doubt it.
Chris Crawford
Cannon XF-705
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Post by Alan »

Hi,

The NTSC standard is based around the mains frequency of 60 HZ It's either 60 interlaced or 60 progressive . It's commonly called 30 FPS its actually 29.7 or something to get a round a flicker problem. The European standard is based on 50 HZ mains frequency and again can be interlaced or progressive it's called PAL. If you try to mix the formats you have to add additioal frames for the one way or drop them for the other. The software to conver the formats to give good results is very sophisticated and expensive. The bottom line is that the Cassi machines sold in the US and Europe are different. I guess before final manufacture they are set for one orthe other. I do not think they arer convertable. Even if they were you would be producing a disc to a non US standard. Many players there days will play both formats and do the conversion in hardware.

A friend bought a camera in the US and found when he brought it back to the UK he could edit in a PC editor. But on play back all movement was jerky because 5 frames every second have to be lost. I wonder where your client got his camera from? It sounds like a PAL version.

Alan in the UK
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

.Can you tell us the original camera setting? 24? 30? 60i? 60P?

No matter how you set the project, (interlace or progressive)...... if shot in progressive, you will get that trailing. The progressive setting really relates to titling and transitions and does not effect the initial material.

My bets are that since it was sports, it may be recorded in 60P for slo-mo thus converted to 30P in BOGART/SE.

.M2TS and .M2T are both TRANSPORT STREAMS and have the SAME 188 BYTE package. You can change the extensions in your PC if desired.
Christopher6206

Alan and Lou. Thanks for your reply. I've found out that the client used an NTSC formatted camcorder but then imported the material into Adobe Premeire Elements. Import settings HDV 1080i at 29.97 frames per second. he did some editing then output the file he gave me using default AVCHD settings which were H.264 Blu ray with 1440 x 1080 with 25 frames per second. I've asked him to check his original footage frame size. Waiting to hear back.
Chris Crawford
Cannon XF-705
Christopher6206

When I play the original files on my PC I still get the echo stuttering effect, but it is much more pronounced once imported into the s-4000 pro. I'm wondering if I'm just expecting too much from this guy's consumer camcorder.
Chris Crawford
Cannon XF-705
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Looks line it was rendered for PAL.
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Post by Alan »

I guess Lou is right. Here in PAL land it quite common to find that some editors have no idea what their ourput settings are and wonder why the final result is jerky. You find that they have outputted in NTSC as it is the default setting on their editor.

Alan