4K Pro owners.

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
PaulBusta
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS, with much software.

4K Pro owners.

Post by PaulBusta »

Any of you having an isue with dropped frames?
Paul Busta

P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS with much software.
Casablanca user since 1997.
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Re: 4K Pro owners.

Post by ChrisStone »

Dropped frames? Yeah, a few here and there. If you blink at just the right time you wont notice it though. :D
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

YES...I just dropped a frame on the floor with a picture of my mother-in-law.
PaulBusta wrote:Any of you having an isue with dropped frames?
Lowell
Casablanca Unit: 1 casablanca solitaire most software. liberty plus all software one S4000 pro most software. One S4000 pro all software. 6 panasonic and 2 sony 3ccd cams. running Se9 on solitare and bogart 3.2 on both S4000's.

Post by Lowell »

Hi Paul I wish that was the only issue I was having My quad cam only will stay in sync for about 4-5 min. If I import on SVHS it looks terrible. The render time to make a DVD is known to take a looong loooong time. It seems like everyone is having some type of issue. It seems like the drop frames show up every few minutes. Hope they can get these bugs out because I cannot use it for weddings.
Lowell Brockway email: justperfectvideo@sbcglobal.net 330-922-5606
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

All kidding aside the dropped frame issue needs to be a high priority find and fix.

I have heard of this problem from several other users whom I trust.

I get it on the monitor display at input and some playback, both of which are irritating enough, but not at the export end so far where it would be completely unacceptable as it renders the editor worthless.

The DVD rendering time is a simple function of losing the discontinued C-cube hardware encoding capability and as our systems compare very favorably to both Mac and PC software rendering times I do not personally consider this an issue.

Beyond the frame drop issue there are still plenty of other promised features of the S4000Pro that have yet to be realized or perfected.

For the sake of the future of the company I hope these things all get addressed promptly as we are going on almost a year now since Jörg showed a unit that had more functionality than my S4000Pro does now.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
Lowell
Casablanca Unit: 1 casablanca solitaire most software. liberty plus all software one S4000 pro most software. One S4000 pro all software. 6 panasonic and 2 sony 3ccd cams. running Se9 on solitare and bogart 3.2 on both S4000's.

Post by Lowell »

HI Tim when I made a DVD the dropped frames showed up on it. That is why I cannot use it for weddings or any important event. I did use it for a school play which was a donation. Mine is sitting here hoping new upgrade will help if not I hope I can get my money back. I am glad I have 2 Solitares a liberty or I would have to learn final cut, which I do not want to do.
Lowell Brockway email: justperfectvideo@sbcglobal.net 330-922-5606
CraigJanos
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire

Post by CraigJanos »

I am having a major missing frame issue as well. I can not use the S4K for any editing job currently. Unfortunately, I have a couple of jobs that I did deliver prior to discovering this issue and the missing frames were found by two different clients. This is NOT good for my business. I had to re-edit one of the jobs in it's entirety on my Solitaire. The other job was a dance recital that the dance school owner found the missing frames. She told me that unless the parents who bought the DVD's complain, I don't have to correct it. I can pretty much guarantee that one of the parents will find the problem...I delivered 80 DVD's for that job. One is bound to find the issue. My hourly rate is well less than minimum wage when you factor in re-editing time. Not to mention having to re-author and duplicate the DVD's! MS has to correct this issue soon. My S4K is a doorstop until then.
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Wow this is a bit scary ! as i need to upgrade to an HD capable editing system for a gig i just landed where the final product MUST be HD.I am presently using a Prestige and i am VERY satisfied with this unit and what i've been able to produce.I really like the simplicity and the
small learning curve with Macrosystem products but need to upgrade !
What im reading lately is very concerning about the s4000PRO.
I will be producing a 4 camera shoot HD project 3hrs total to be shot in late March and the
final edited product to be delivered with the next 4 weeks.
I will need slow mo (Twixtor) and create graphics for names ect...

I would like to be convinced by present S4000PRO owners that i WILL be able to pull
this off with this upgrade to the S4000PRO.
I was thinking of a trade in but now "Drop outs" "I cant use my S400 for wedding editing right now" "my s4000 is only good as a door stopper"

Now i'm disillusioned and confused to say the least...

any reply to reasure me would be great TKS

Syl
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Soooooo, are you really just after reassurance Syl :?: or the truth?

Frankly, as much as I like Macrosystem and their products there is no way I would currently recommend the S4000Pro for use in a complex (four cams), long gig ( 3 hour Project), HDV Project that needs to be delivered in under a month.

I do not have any experience with any of the alternate editors for HDV editing of an edit intensive, short delivery time project like you are describing either, but I know render time for HDV projects is really, really intense and time consuming just to export the final product, let alone the editing of the same regardless of what platform you are using.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but I am just being honest.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
TedBurke
Casablanca Unit: S4000 Pro

Post by TedBurke »

I am also experiencing the dropped frames issue. It occurs whether importing from my JVC DV 3000 or my Panasonic DV2000. I am inputting 4pin to 6pin firewire through the rear s4000 firewire port. I wonder if the dropped frames occur when inputting through composite? (haven't tried that) Even if that solves it, that would be unacceptable to me as I use the auto split function frequently. I am surprised that this issue has not gotten more attention, especially on the Cassie Tips list which I monitor more frequently than this Forum..