S4000Pro Self shutdown

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

S4000Pro Self shutdown

Post by BobFoster »

I have searched the archives and found no mention of S4Kpro shut down. The S4000Pro shuts down on it's own after 2 - 4 minutes in the following circumstances. (Bogart 2.2) After importing about 6 minutes of HD footage via firewire, the editor goes into a "Finishing" mode before the imported video can be viewed. After 2 - 4 minutes of processing the "finishing" the unit abruptly turns itself off. Only after it has been off for about 30 minutes or so can it be turned back on with the front switch. Results: Nothing in the scene bin. The same situation happens when processing an effect such as deshaker or Twixtor. This also happens in the SD video projects as well with any processing procedure. In SD it WILL process a story board for Arabesk DVD burning for an hour without shutting down on it's own. I have de-activated the "Auto Shutdown" feature just for good measure. No change. All footage was imported using firewire both SD and HD. Internally generated graphics also are problematic when using processing to alter the scene.

Second: "Zoom" is a staple in my effects for photo montages. Zoom in Bogart 2.2 results in a very jittery, shaky zoom. Not usable. Typical situation would be a 7 to 8 second zoom on 9 second scene with a minimal amount of zoom. Any one else find this problem with Zoom in Bogart OS?

The auto shutdown is a major concern. It about negates most editing and HD work other than simple cuts and very short HD importing. Any ideas here???
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Re: S4000Pro Self shutdown

Post by LouBruno »

Hey Bob,

OK.......check to see that you loaded-up ONLY the softwares that are compatable at this time. I noticed that if softwares are not authorized this occurs.

Just a thought
BobFoster
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

I'm pretty certain that no unreleased software has been activated. I'm checking a theory now of too much heat. This morning I turned the unit on and immediately began processing a 39 second scene with Deshaker. It processed for over 14 minutes before shutting down. After restarting from the shut down, I let the unit sit idle doing nothing for 1 1/2 hours. Then I started the same process on the same scene and the unit shut down in less than a minute. There is nothing on top of the S4000Pro, but it is in close quarters with about 1.5 inches clearance in the front 6 inches and about 4 inches clearance in the rest of the back. Nothing behind it. Nothing under it giving off any heat. After shutting off, the cooling fins were warm to the touch, but the top cover was HOT in the back half and fairly warm in the front half. I have spent the morning relocating a number of pieces of equipment in order to place the S40000Pro on a top shelf with nothing around it. I even placed some 1 1/4" spacers under it for more ventilation underneath. This afternoon I will try the test again to see if that solves the problem. Thanks for your suggestions.
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

Update: After allowing the deck to become stable to the room temperature, I tried using the Deshake on the 39 second scene and the unit shut down in under a minute even on the top shelf. The case was warm but not hot. I will next try a more known to work effect and see if it makes any difference.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

If you have a small fan to set to blow on the unit that would be a cheap and easy way to verify it is or is not heat related.

The S4P uses passive cooling so I would imagine it might be more heat build up sensitive in tight areas, but because it has so much case ventilation a small fan blowing on it should guarantee more than adequate heat buildup relief even in a relatively tight location.

Also, if it is heat related I would expect the shut down to occur at shorter and shorter durations if you power right back up and try the same thing again.

I think what you have tried makes heat build up as a cause unlikely, but power assisted ventilation would rule it out completely in my mind.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

Lou, as Tim alluded to in his last message, a 4 inch equipment rack cooling fan laying on top of the S4000 Pro case cover blowing into the case proved to be a solution to keep the editor from self shutting down. Previously, virtually any activity beside just sitting there powered up would cause a crash. Now, so far, I cannot get it to auto shutdown under any circumstance. I have been working with Tim Kennelly off line trying many possibilities for days. Even though the fan trick works temporarily, it's not a permanent solution to the underlying cause. ( Maybe an "official" MSUS workaround :-) ) It did pretty much confirm that the problem is a physical/electrical one and not a software issue. Many, many, many thanks to Tim for his patience in trouble shooting this unit and getting it to a point where it could at least be used. In case anyone else experiences this problem, I will add any further information on the final required correction as it becomes available.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Glad all worked out fine and we are lucky to have Tim here to help.

Makes me wonder if there is something like a thermostat that is not set properly or hardware related settings such as not displacing enough heats via the rear heat sink fins.
BobFoster wrote:Lou, as Tim alluded to in his last message, a 4 inch equipment rack cooling fan laying on top of the S4000 Pro case cover blowing into the case proved to be a solution to keep the editor from self shutting down. Previously, virtually any activity beside just sitting there powered up would cause a crash. Now, so far, I cannot get it to auto shutdown under any circumstance. I have been working with Tim Kennelly off line trying many possibilities for days. Even though the fan trick works temporarily, it's not a permanent solution to the underlying cause. ( Maybe an "official" MSUS workaround :-) ) It did pretty much confirm that the problem is a physical/electrical one and not a software issue. Many, many, many thanks to Tim for his patience in trouble shooting this unit and getting it to a point where it could at least be used. In case anyone else experiences this problem, I will add any further information on the final required correction as it becomes available.
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

Commercial electric fan motors and other electric motors have internal thermal overload protection switches that interrupt the main power supply to the motor when the internal temperature gets too hot. Fan motors typically have a self resetting thermal overload switch that re-connect after the motor has cooled. Other motors have a push button reset that pops out like a turkey thermometer. Since this unit does not have any powered ventilation, I would bet money that it is equipped with a thermal overload switch. That would explain the sudden power off experienced and the delayed restart time. So far Lou, the rack fan is just a band aid. What ever is causing the malfunction could get worse.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Agreed, I am glad the fan is allowing you to use the unit and perhaps that would be all that is needed forever, but it should not be needed period.

You described your studio as 70-80 degrees average and while that is warmer than my studio where it stays in the mid 60's pretty much year round (where I like it), those temperatures are reasonable as long as the unit's ventilation ports (almost full top, both sides) and heat sink are kept clear of obstructions or heat inducing appliances.

You are meeting those parameters so the unit should not be over heating if functioning correctly in a 70 to 80 degree environment.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

Bob, all I have read about your problem points to a heat related issue in hardware.
Could be soldering points not giving contact anymore on the board or even as assumed
a thermostat relay gone crazy.
To exactly be sure it's a heat related thing and not a software problem have you tried a full destructive installation?
Did you install any software just before your trouble began?
Have you tried to deactivate Twixtor and Deshaker being redering intensive programs in HDV?
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany