How to make borders in Titling

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
KimSWilliamson
Casablanca Unit: Renommee

How to make borders in Titling

Post by KimSWilliamson »

Me again!

OK, I am tring to make a title box (name and address of restaurant) with a background, Have made one in Titling using a nice background from Candy Factory, but is there a way to put a border on the box that I made so it doesn't just sit there on the page with the plain edge of the border? It looks unfinished. Or, what I would prefer is to have the edges of the border of the title box faded or not so blunt.

I hve Candy Factory, Title FX-1, and some other effects, but no CBPaint.

Many thanks, Kim Williamson :)
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Re: How to make borders in Titling

Post by jimmeeker »

Hello Kim,

If you have PIP Studio or PIP Studio 3-D you can use both of these to add frames and soften the edges or even have a wide variety of edges or skins available to choose from. With PIP Studio 3-D you can have the PIP angled and still maintain the look of a real part of the picture by matching the perspective of the background image.( like lining up with or matching the lines to a vanishing point in the distant background.)
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder
KimSWilliamson

Post by KimSWilliamson »

Thanks Jim, I wil try that when I get PIP.
Jeanton
Casablanca Unit: Avio/Bogart 4000 Pro Bogart 2.4 Pal with twister,Quadcam,Photo Studio 2,Twixtor

Post by Jeanton »

Hi

There we go again a simple effect as putting a border around a titling frame and you have to spend money again to buy an add on software program to make it happen-that should be included I think. Just bought Photo Studio 2 for Bogart and fount it not so good as they say some photo's didn't import and you can't do an effect on scanned images only digital ones work. You can nearly do the same trough Media Manager now by importing photos and load it in your project and use the zoom effect on them and it is a lot quicker and simpler...

Here on the other site of the world software for our systems is still expensive and I have to spend arround $4000 or more to get all the software and I am not willing to do !!!!
Jeanton
Jeantons Video Productions
KimSWilliamson

Post by KimSWilliamson »

Yeah, I had to go out on a limb finanically just getting OS8x and Candy Factory and the Title effects 1. I would think this would be a very basic effect to put borders around images such as a logo or titling box.

I suggest that this effect be included in the Titling edit area, so I don't have to purchase more expensive software for such a basic effect, that should be included in titling, as that is where I need to use it!

Anyone at Macrosystems listening?

Kim Williamson
Blue Goose Productions
Comfort, TX
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Post by jimmeeker »

OK.....now you guys have challenged me to make a frame for a title and have it soft edged with just simple software that everyone has to begin with.......! I'm always for finding ways to make things work without spending a lot of money. So here goes. Back to the basics.

Start with your background image and decide what color you would like to have your frame be. so that it coordinates with your image's colors. Don't put in the title at this stage.....save it for last....as explained later.

Now go to special and click on "Rectangle". Place a rectangle in the location on your background image where you want your title to appear, then select the "Color" you have decided on and click on it so that it will now fill your rectangle with that color. Make the rectangle sufficiant size to hold your title later on.

At this point, confirm your selection of color and if it doesn't satisfy you, change it to a color that you think goes better with your background image. Create another rectangle INSIDE the first rectangle and drag the size of it so that it is smaller and so all four sides are the same width and look even.

Select the color for the inside of this rectangle as a background for your title letters. It probably will be black for your first tests of this method and that's fine. But many other colors or textures can be used here depending on what look you are going for.

You may make your frame any width you like merely by selecting different sizes for the interior rectangle. To soften the edges just go to Out of Focus and play with the settings to see how much you want to soften things up for your purpose here.

Even more impressive with the beginning software that came with your Cassie.... would be to place this in Blue Box with a black background and key that out to reveal your video background under the softened frame. After you have made the best selections for the Keying process and have an acceptable image with your softened frame over your moving video background, Make a scene of it and then you may add your title inside the frame and your image is complete.

Yes the title would have to be added last in this process to make this work. If you put the title in first, when you soften the frame edges...you will be softening the title letters as well and you probably don't want to do that.

Give it a try. It'll work with just the basic software that came with your editor. I just did it myself to write down the correct sequence of events to make it work.....and it does. Now, we all need to try to make things work with what we have rather than wishing we could add something else. Working with less and making it satisfy our needs is a real challenge, but that is the measure of a good editor. All that is needed to make this work has been in the basic software since back in 1999 or earlier. So there is no need for MS to add this feature to the titler.

Isn't this forum a fun place to hang out.
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder
KimSWilliamson

Post by KimSWilliamson »

HI Jim,

Didn't mean to sound like a complainer, but I do wish that some simple border effects will be put into Titling.

You really know your editing system inside and out!

Thank you for bothering to figure this out

When you said : "Start with your background image and decide what color you would like to have your frame be. so that it coordinates with your image's colors ...." Do you mean go into Titling and create a title box and add graphics to it? I am not quite sure what editing area you are in to begin this process or what you mean by background image... Please advise ..

Thanks, Kim
jimmeeker

Post by jimmeeker »

Hey Kim,

Do everything in the edit window except for the very last part of actually adding the title. You may want to play with the title window first to get an idea of your spacing for the title and font that you choose but actually add the title last. Do everything else in the edit window.

It'll become much more clear when you actually try it out. It is a very simple process but must be done in the correct order to make it work. The background image is what ever video or color background that you want your title to be placed over.

Ask more any time.
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
KimSWilliamson

Post by KimSWilliamson »

Jim,

You are very kind and helpful, and a genius! :D

I will try it first thing in am,this will be fun. I will probably be contacting you about the Blue Box technique you described, but one step at a time.

I go to sleep now

Kim
RonaldPawlak
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 5.3 O.S.,Arabesk 5.4c, S4K Pro, most software, not a lot of HD software, Exterrnal USB blu-ray burner, Just purchase (2) XF-100 Canon cameras and one VIXIA HF-S10, HD cameras. (2) Senheisser Wireless Mics.

Post by RonaldPawlak »

Hey Jim,
That was a nice tip, I went right down to my editor and tried it and it worked great for a project that I was doing. I never thought of doing it that way. Never thought I would ever have a use for the rectangle either, but will now. Made my creative juices flow. :P We need more people telling us (including me) methods they use to achieve some neat effects. Can't rely only on Chet the expert to do it. :roll: