Digital Juice

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
ShadowVision
Casablanca Unit: AVIO DV SE 6; S4000Pro, DVX100; Sony HDV1000U; Sony HC9 with Letus mini and lenses, MacBook Pro

Digital Juice

Post by ShadowVision »

Hello, I've got a project that I'm shooting and editing for Internet with a guy who cut in Final Cut. It will be a series of videos, probably around 20 to 30 of about 30 seconds to 4 minutes in length.

He likes to use Digital Juice.

What I was thinking is that he and I will create the animations and titles for the project using Digital Juice and Final Cut and import them into the S4KP placing them as a graphic onto my edited project.

Right now, I don't know how to do that, and suspect that I'll have to do some basic editing and give him the files I edit in HDV or AVCHD (MTS) for him to put into Final Cut. In other words, I don't think that I'll be able to create titles and animations in Digital Juice and Final Cut and use them in the S4KP.

Has anyone been successful using Digital Juice on the S4KP?

Thanks!
Jonathan W. Hickman
Author of THE TASTER
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Re: Digital Juice

Post by CasablancaExpert »

John,

I am using some of the Digital Juice animations on my S4000 PRO (and my Renommee Plus) -- but not in their native format (.mov files). I have them converted into a compatible .AVI file format using the Digital Juice software called 'the Juicer'. You can read more about this free software utility here http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/pr ... sp?pid=223

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
ShadowVision
Casablanca Unit: AVIO DV SE 6; S4000Pro, DVX100; Sony HDV1000U; Sony HC9 with Letus mini and lenses, MacBook Pro

Post by ShadowVision »

Seems like if they are png's I can add them to our video projects in the Finish section of Bogart. From there I suppose I could export the finished scene to another project and the lower third graphic could come in and out using a transition.

I've not done this, but Chet, after a png graphic is added using the Finish option, can you make a scene of that and export it to another project as I said above.

I have Anim X, and would just use that, but I think I'm going to have to use Digital Juice because the fellow I'm doing the project with cuts in Final Cut.

Thanks!
Jonathan W. Hickman
Author of THE TASTER
CasablancaExpert

No, unfortunately the .PNG graphic allows one only to use that graphic over an exported storyboard. There is not way to export that scene then over to be edited (well, you could play out to DV tape and then re-record back into a different project - but no internal transfer). Plus, this watermark of sorts with the .PNG file allows only static, not motion graphics.

I would recommend your consideration of the Juicer to transfer those graphics your colleague has/wants to use over to AVI files. I will create a short video tutorial and upload to my website for your (and other members') learning.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
ShadowVision

Post by ShadowVision »

I understand. Seems like I could export the storyboard to the archives and then bring it back into another project. Have you tried that?

I suppose another option is for me to use my MAC with the exported video to add the Juicer graphics in Final Cut Express. I think that the guy I'm working with does that in Final Cut.

Can't wait to see the video you're making, seems like it could be helpful.
Jonathan W. Hickman
Author of THE TASTER
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Jonathon, I have a lot of digital juice animations loaded in a project on my Renommee and I move them to other projects via the clipboard. I have several that were the old ones that came on dvd as well as dv tape. Those were no problem at all. The others I had to convert to AVI files. I down loaded their free juicer program but I didn't have a lot of luck with that. I found a converter that worked. I also have a client that wants me to use lower thirds and I haven't figured that out yet. The digital Juice is nice but there is another company That Macrosystem used to sell I think, Digital Hotcakes. They were designed for Casablancas I think. Bob...
CasablancaExpert

ShadowVision wrote:I understand. Seems like I could export the storyboard to the archives and then bring it back into another project. Have you tried that?

I suppose another option is for me to use my MAC with the exported video to add the Juicer graphics in Final Cut Express. I think that the guy I'm working with does that in Final Cut.
Yes Jonathan -- you could export the Storyboard (using SB Archives in the Project Settings menu) to export out and then back into another project but I do not believe that will retain the PNG (although I am about to test that! and will let you know).
And yes, you could export your edited video (storyboard) into FCE and then add the Digital Juice animations there (they read easily on a Mac as they are .MOV files).

and Bob -- yes, Digital Juice did previously provide their animations on DV tape for us Casablanca-ites but no longer. There are two other companies I know of that produce Casablanca compatible animations right out of the gate: Digital Hotcakes and Studio 1 Productions - both have some good looking products worthy of consideration!

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
ShadowVision

Post by ShadowVision »

Chet, did the export work?
Jonathan W. Hickman
Author of THE TASTER
CasablancaExpert

Oops - thanks for the reminder John. I did perform the Storyboard Export with a .png graphic in place and the function activated. Unfortunately the result is as I suspected - it did not retain the graphic, but rather just the SD.

So, it appears you would have to export to DV tape and then back in to retain the superimposed .png graphic.

Regards.
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
dragangaga
Casablanca Unit: None yet!

Post by dragangaga »

Hi Chet,

I Understand that you must have the "juicer" in order to convert Digital Juice footage and then edit with Casablanca. My question to you is what software you use on a PC to upload these footages and then convert them and export to Casablanca?
Thanks in advance!
Dragan Bozorovic, owner, professional videographer
http://www.globemedia.us
info@globemedia.us