Cannot Finish Project on S4000

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Cannot Finish Project on S4000

Post by Rte80west »

Here's how it went down:

Completed the storyboard and went to FINISH screen. Hit the CREATE button. After all transitions, scene adjustments, etc were completed, the project was converted to HDV. No problems.

After, I went back to the storyboard and made a few adjustments (to music, images, transitions). When returning to the FINISH screen, it indicated that the video and audio was unrendered (as expected). However, when I pressed the CREATE button this time, nothing happened. Cannot exit the screen, it locks up (but the mouse cursor still moves). I cannot go to tape or DVD until I am able to CREATE the storyboard.

Obviously, it seems like there is an issue with making changes AFTER the storyboard converts to HD. I tried to undo the changes I made, but nothing enables me to CREATE the project. Any ideas what gives?
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Re: Cannot Finish Project on S4000

Post by LouBruno »

As we speak, I just made a correction this morning to a video of my Grandson's 1st Birthday. I then went back to the FINISH window and created, once more, the entire storyboard. My goal is to export to HDV tape for archival and downconvert purposes.

An educated guess would be that whatever was corrected became corrupted.

I would reimport the scene(s) that were manipulated from your media source (card, tape etc.) and attempt to execute the finalization once more after adding new transitions and music.

,Use your FORCE POWER-DOWN if needed and bring up the RECORD window/USB icon.

Good Luck!!!
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

In the past I have found transitions to be the most frequent cause of issues.

On the plus side, usually just removing them and then Adding them back in fixes that.

On the negative side if you have added audio tracks involved it screws with them and isn't as simple to do depending on the complexity of audio track(s) involved.

I also have rendered in Finish and then tweaked without issue although I work hard on not setting up that situation with how long such rendering can take.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Post by CasablancaExpert »

This is totally 'shooting from the hip' and without any logical merit but I have been made aware of another colleague who experience different issues exporting an HD storyboard -- by clicking over to an SD project and then coming back to his HD project it worked again.

Give that a try -- click over to Project Settings and then actually enter an SD project (where you have some SD media active), click on the Record menu in that SD project, then back out and go into your HD project to see if that enables you to renew your rendering.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Thanks for all the input, folks.

Well, the storyboard FINALLY converted to HDV material after a LONG wait- not sure why. It took a LONG time to create the HDV material (24 hrs+ for about 380 minute storyboard). Upon completion, I wanted to select a PORTION of that storyboard to send it to miniDV tape and/or burn a DVD, but unlike with DV projects, there was no "Select Range" button in the FINISH window. Hmm. I exited and went to the Arabesy screen, but nothing was there either. Upon returning to the FINISH window, everything on the storyboard that had been convereted to HDV was now not the case. It indicated that the storyboard had unrendered effects and audio. Frustrating! Now I have to convert the entire thing to HDV again and then, more importantly, figure out why the heck I cannot select a PORTION of the storyboard to send to tape and/or burn to DVD as I had always doen with SD projects. Am I just missing something here?
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

A re-render occurs when opening up the project that was already rendered in HDV and some type of change was attempted such as a change in transitions or audio etc. A few other editing systems have to be re-rendered when there is a change not just the current BOGART.

RANGE:

Here is what I do: What you have to do in lieu of the RANGE button is make a scene of the SPECIFIC AREA of the STORYBOARD (you want to work with) to the Scene Bin.

Open the clipboard and IMPORT that particular scene.

Go to an EMPTY HDV project and EXPORT that scene to the scene bin via the CLIPBOARD and then the Storyboard.

.FINISH WINDOW

.RENDER

There is another way using Media Manager using the ARCHIVE area and importing into MM. Then open the area that allows AVCHD to be rendered-out-if you want to convert to AVCHD.

for now, use the BOGART side that you are familiar with.
Rte80west wrote:Thanks for all the input, folks.

Well, the storyboard FINALLY converted to HDV material after a LONG wait- not sure why. It took a LONG time to create the HDV material (24 hrs+ for about 380 minute storyboard). Upon completion, I wanted to select a PORTION of that storyboard to send it to miniDV tape and/or burn a DVD, but unlike with DV projects, there was no "Select Range" button in the FINISH window. Hmm. I exited and went to the Arabesy screen, but nothing was there either. Upon returning to the FINISH window, everything on the storyboard that had been convereted to HDV was now not the case. It indicated that the storyboard had unrendered effects and audio. Frustrating! Now I have to convert the entire thing to HDV again and then, more importantly, figure out why the heck I cannot select a PORTION of the storyboard to send to tape and/or burn to DVD as I had always doen with SD projects. Am I just missing something here?
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Thanks Lou.

The odd thing is all I did was go to Arabesk and when I returned to the FINISH window everything was not rendered again.

The only issue with using Clipboard is I have a storyboard with a ton of effetcs, audio and fx links tied to the clips and there is well over 1000 scene clips. It is avchd footage mainly, with some SD that was imported in, not sure if that makes a difference. I just don't understand why the Range button is not available. Even if I could dump to tape then load back in to burn DVD that would be acceptable. Should I be able to select the range I want to send to tape or DVD just as I did before w/ SD projects or no?
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

RTE, I don't have a S4000 or HD and maybe you've tried this, but at the outside chance you haven't. Can you make a scene out of the whole storyboard and then split what you want to burn to DVD. I had a project a couple of years ago that wouldn't render. I tried and tried to find the problem with no luck. I probably had 1 or more transitions corrupted. I was able to make a scene of the whole thing and then split it as I needed. I have done that a couple times since. My avio was really picky. The Renommee doesn't seem as finicky. Maybe thats not possible with HD or the S400. Just an Idea. Bob...
LouBruno

SONY FDR-53 4K,

Post by LouBruno »

I have an idea for your problem. Even if is not your particular situation, others may benefit from the following tip:

There is an outside chance that your SD scenes did not properly upconvert in your HD project area. If you used the powerkey method of CTRL + C in a SD project to bring over a clip... then CTRL + V in the HD project, there is no software upconversion of SD>HD. The clipboard has to be used for upconversion. The editor would not be aware of this as there is no prompt advising this. When rendering the SB, the SB stops at the SD scene.

This is a fact that I discovered and repeated.
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try when I can- right now its in the middle of a render again, which takes 24 hrs+. My only issue is it DID render everything- at least it indicated it did. After the batch render it indicated both audio and video was rendered. So if there was corrupted scenes wouldnt it not have rendered in the first place? And just so Im clear, there SHOULD be the "Choose Range" option should be evident after the batch render, correct?