Check This out.

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Check This out.

Post by flvideo »

Check this out. I shot this tonight and I got home early and thought I'd put up our Rap up from tonight. Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4qS-Cc1DgU
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: Check This out.

Post by CKNewman »

The footage looks good but the audio sounds really "hot" or overdriven. Does it sound the same way when played in your studio as it does when played from youtube? It almost sounds as though you are sending the audio out from the wireless microphone's receiver at line level, but you have the camera audio inputs set at mic level.

Are you using the PD-170?

Are you setting the audio level in the camera manually or is it in automatic?
Craig Newman
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Hi Craig,Yes I am using the PD170 and the PA system is screwed up there. I set a level on my camera and it invaribly changes. Thats the only track I work thats like that. I have tried to help them with it but its hopless. They really need a new system. Somtimes I think I'd be better off to put a mike on a speaker. There is not a soul there that knows much about audio. That includes me, I don't know much. Just enough to get in trouble. The announcer is a on air DJ, but he doesn't know about technical stuff. He does mix some mean music. He mixed the music for my Hi-Lite this year and it was popular. I am using a wireles off their mixer. Its an old Mackie I think I am coming off line level and line level on my camera. BOb
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Exactly how is your wireless transmitter hooked up to their Mackie? What outputs are being used on the Mackie? What kind of wireless system are you using?
Craig Newman
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

The wire less transmitter is hooked to the Mackie at the phones jack. That may be my problem. Is that a line level at the Phones jack? The hook up on my camera is from the receiver,mic in, to the the XLR in on the camera which I guess is Mic level and the only way I have to hook to the receiver. So It appears you are right Mr Genius. Line level on one end and mic level on the other. Man you are good, diagnose a problem from afar, way afar. What jack on their Mackie would be better? The wireless is a Audio Technica. I have 2 of them and they have been work horses for years. I also have a sennhieser which I had trouble with there but I was hooking it up at the same place and I'd suppose it was miss matched too. So give some advice ole Audio Genius!!! Bob...
CKNewman

Post by CKNewman »

I'm not an audio genius. Haven't even played one on TV :lol:

There are several places the mis-match could be occuring. Question: When Jason's voice comes over the PA, does it sound the same (just as hot) as on your video?

I'm guessing there are two wireless systems in use here, one is Jason's hand-held to the Mackie that belongs to the track and the other is your AT (Audio Technica) from the Mackie to your camera. Do you leave your AT there permanently or do you bring it and take it home after each job so you can use it at the next location? I want to know if you use this same system - with the same settings - at other venues with no problems.
Craig Newman
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

If you are connecting your wireless to the headphone out, you may need to run it thru an inexpensive "attenuator" to drop the level from line to Mic level. Radio Shack is a good source for these or used to be. What model of Mackie are you using? They usually have a wide selection of "outs". Some are even selectable between line and mic level. FYI, there are different flavors of line level. -10db consumer level, 0 db and +4db pro level. Mackie usually defaults to +4 db line output level. Some models offer switchable levels from the back.
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

I take my transmitter with me each week because I need it else where. I haven't payed attention to which one I have had at the track at what time. As I said I have 2 of them and they will mix and match. They are on the same frequency. Well they are actually 2 freq. I have a few times used them on the same job at the same time. I have a velcro stip on the top of 1 reciever and on the bottom of the other. In answer to your question I do use them at other lacations with no problem. I had a situation a few months ago where I was shooting too far away from the Anouncers booth so we put a couple tie wraps tgether around the pole and put cliped a lav to the rim of a speaker. The audio was good all night. I even went to the winners circle for a post race interview and got good audio across the track. In answer to one question the Mackie at the track is an old 1202. I have new 1202 in my arsenal. Is the attenuator the answer or should I tap another place on the mackie? We have a large Yamaha board at church and I have a cable in the Sub-out port. The Late Model series I used to travel with had a smaller Mackie, I don't recall the model, but it worked fine in the phone out. I couldn't control my Sennheiser on the tracks board. It was overdriven baddly. Now it works beautifully when I use it on a talent, either lav or hand held. Craig you are right there is 2 wireleses involved. Jasons is a pain in the butt. It is probably 80 or 90 ft at the most from the reciever to lason hand held and it cuts out and pops. It is junk. Bob...
CKNewman

Post by CKNewman »

An answer to this question would help.
There are several places the mis-match could be occuring. Question: When Jason's voice comes over the PA, does it sound the same (just as hot) as on your video?
Craig Newman
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Yes, He is overmodulated when he first starts talking but it seems to clear up. I have a challenge with the balance of Nat sound and PA. I try to turn the nat sound down so the pa overrides it. Sometimes I get it so low that you can't even hear it. Now that you have mentioned this Craig Jason is always right on the verge of being overmodulated. I don't seem to havr those problems at other tracks so I always layed it to the PA system At Charlotte. I am looking at my camera #1, which I shoot the main program with, and I have a choice of the audio input level. The coices are Line, Mic, Mic Att. I set mic 1 as the camera mic and mic 2 the wireless. both are on Mic. I have individual control of each channel on the camera. Should I be running the output on th Macky different? Or should I change my input level to line on channel 2? Where else could I have a miss match? Bob..