Canon 7D & 5D Mark II

A place to share sample video projects
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Canon 7D & 5D Mark II

Post by SYLRENAUD »

My first wedding shot exclusively with HDSLR... Canon 7D & 5D Mark II
Edited on the S-4100
whoever is interested in going in the SLR direction for video I will be glad to help with questions.

This is a recap that I posted on the couples Facebook wall within 48 hrs while everyone was still in the wedding buz mode.
http://vimeo.com/13099601

Cheers,

Syl
Franklinbencosme
Casablanca Unit: B4 WINDOWS main edit system S-6000 as BACKUP and old tapes edit

Re: Canon 7D & 5D Mark II

Post by Franklinbencosme »

VHey Syl !!

Woww beautiful colors, very good edition taking that these are super long weddings and the editing should be rather complicated, I've never done a wedding of this kind.... :(

Ok questions:

Your 4100 and has worked with any problem the Transfer of the material coming from the 5D and the 7D?
have any tips for downloaded the files, and how fast?
These are recorded in 30p or 24p?
The colors are real or have added suturing or contrast?
The audio as those are captured for post?
Backup of each card where you are saving? in the 4100?
Thinking about the immediate future as Media 3.2 BOGART Media M.allows us to download the file DSLR, what would be the ideal choice for your experience the better the price and quality, 5D or 7D?
Which lens are using, that you think are the most useful?
The video has a little shake (but acceptable), are hand held or monopod?

Thanks for sharing, I saw another video at vimeo, and I liked.. :D

Franklin

ps- sorry my ENGLISH
Last edited by Franklinbencosme on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ASHampton
Casablanca Unit: Loaded Dealer unit

Post by ASHampton »

Some of the best work i have seen. Super job. I just gotta have a 5D M II.
Seth Hampton
Casablanca Gold Star Dealer
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Thank you Seth & you will love the FULL frame of the 5D !
I really really want to see the footage you will take with the XF 300 !!

Franklin:
Thank you for the kind words...
The S-4100 with Bogart 3 is very fast in 30p (you need a card reader to import your files... it wont work straight from the camera) if you use 60p its a lot slower & since Bogart does not have slow-mo software for Progressive yet
I just shoot in 30p for now. I am waiting for a ND filter to come in for my matt box so I will be able to keep the shutter speed down and shoot wide open mostly outside... right now I have to crank the shutter to 4000 as soon as I go outside in daylight. For a better film look you should try and keep it at 30p / shutter 60.

Everything I do with the 7D & 5D has no image processing.... so its a HUGE time saver... I shoot in flat & the colours you see in the demo are what the camera produced !!!! an incredible image in my humble opinion.
I may play with a filter if I decide to go with a black & white scene for a second or two.
The cameras has colour preset but after experimenting I find setting the camera to FLAT a.k.a Neutral gives me better results.

Right now if I were to start over this HDSLR adventure again I would go with the 5D mark II because the full frame lets in more light and is more versatile with f-stops... the 7D is awesome it can shoot in 60p but its a crop frame & has 2 processors so there is the possiblity that it heats up on you from time to time. A bit of a problem for wedding shoots. So weddings I go with 2 5D's & 1 7D.
Another work around is that they only shoot video 12 minutes at a time. So during speeches for instance just make sure there is one running while you restart the other one. I know its a drag but well worth it in the end... for me anyways !!!

another work around is the audio...its not bad but for a weddings you need better sound so I plug in a Rhodes mic to the camera. For speeches vows etc... I use a seperate digital recorder... I use the Zoom H4n and I love it... one thing though because I shoot in 30p I must use the software "timechange" in my S-4100 and adjust the frame rate so that its 1 frame less than what I recorded because if you dont do that the audio will go out of sync after awhile... then just match the sound up to the image and voila !!! very professional audio to match an incredible image.

I own two 50mm 1.4f & I have a wide angle lens for my 7D 10-22mm 4.5f that lens is awsome when you use it with a steadicam... its very light on there and much easier on my back :p the rest of the lenses I use I rent. (zoom lenses for churches etc)
Tripods of course & yes a monopod works well also.
If you go handheld then yes get some support gear... the market is now flooded with them with different pricing.
Another thing is to get an attachable view finder that magnifies the image for rack focusing... you could use a HDMI monitor as well if you want.

for more info Franklin send me a private message with your e-mail and I can send you pics of the gear I use and what else is out there.

Your English is find my friend... hope some of this helps you and dont be shy if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Syl
Franklinbencosme
Casablanca Unit: B4 WINDOWS main edit system S-6000 as BACKUP and old tapes edit

Post by Franklinbencosme »

Hello Syl... :D

thanks for your answers, I prefer around here because that way other colleagues,take notes of your experience on 5d and 7d.
I think I will go to weva 2010, only to the trade show because in my experience, good prices might appear on cameras and other products.

About how are you doing BACKUP of the files I'd like to know how you proceed with these files. :?:

Thanks again and keep in touch for the benefit of the community.....Franklin
Charles
Casablanca Unit: S6000 Effects 1,2,3,5,7,8 Blue Box World,
Arabesk 6.0a , Bogart 5.5c Disc Transfer 1.2

Post by Charles »

Thought this was the best place to post this take on using DSLRs for video,made me laugh.
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6823505/
Regards
Charles
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

That was very funny Charles thank you... just the right amount of nastiness :-)
+ the video would of looked better shot with an HDSLR lol
Yes I still love my babies !!!
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Pretty amazing stuff...

http://philipbloom.net/2010/04/19/in-de ... on-5dmkii/

just sayin :-)
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

Interesting piece - shows the benefit of the H4N audio device;

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/cano ... -wannabes/
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Wedding recap of Gina & Kevin's wedding shot on July 24th, 2010. What a gorgeous couple !
They picked a U2 song: "City of Blinding Lights"
How fitting since the reception was held on the roof top terrace of the NAC & a full moon was there for all to see.
Shot with 2 Canon 5D Mark II & 1 7D

Lenses: 50mm f1.4 ,35mm,10-22mm f3.5,70-200mm f 2.8

Produced by: Reno Video Productions

Videographers: Sylvain Renaud, Caroline Renaud & Raheel Agha

Edited by: Sylvain Renaud

http://vimeo.com/13664809