How are the new units?

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
JohnKleban
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with SE 7

How are the new units?

Post by JohnKleban »

Curious, any real world feedback yet from those who purchased the newest units?

John
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Re: How are the new units?

Post by CasablancaExpert »

In case there are any newer visitors to this Forum, what John is asking about are the newest Casablanca editors - the S3000 and the S6000. MSUS announced they are beginning shipment of these two new editors yesterday (12/6/2010)

By the way, there is a new, helpful chart posted on the MSUS website that points to the speed of the S-series Casablanca editors. You can see that here: http://macrosystem.us/speeds.php

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
Rick
Casablanca Unit: S6000\HEMI\Arabesk 4.\BlueBox World\
BordreX\3DShapes\Fonts1-4ProPack2\MagicLights\
PhotoStudio\Quadcam\
SplitXWedding\
Motion3D\CandyFactory\
MotionPerfect\LiquidImages\
PIPStudio\Powerkey\Twixtor\Title Studio|
VMECompact50\...Cameras - Nikon D7000\Sony HVR-Z5U\Sony HDR-FX1000
PremerePro\CS2\AfterEffects\ProShowProducer\Adobe Lightroom
WorkPrinter Frame by Frame Transfer\Cinecap\

Post by Rick »

Just purchased the S6000. Waiting on delevery. This week hopfully. Let you know :roll:
Never underestimate the other guys Greed...
Rick
PhotoStudio\Quadcam\
SplitXWedding\
Motion3D\CandyFactory\

Post by Rick »

OK…just received my S6000 on Saturday. Write out of the box I can say this is a very well built piece of equipment. A little smaller than my renomme but better built. Set up very easy know problems. HDMI required only at this time? Start up very fast right to the main menu. Navigation easy, looks great. Started a 1 hour download of HD material (Mini DV tape) form my Sony –HVR-Z5U. Picture looks great, however there is no audio heard during this process; I wish this could be resolved. The picture also stutters and Skips during this process, I wish this could be resolved…?. It took aproxementlt 35min more to finalize the Tape after download..What is exactly finalizing not sure? If somebody could answer that question sure would be appreciated…The editing bin seems quite small to me, will take some getting used too…Just up dated my glasses, may have to do it again. Could just be my age. Made a 7min Video for testing.. Finish window took 45 min to render, still seems quite long to me. I hope this will improve. Add Film – Took 45min to finish…Seems long to me I hope this improves? Remember this is a 7min Video.
Arabesk. Burned HD (DVD) menus and all played back nicely on my PS3, Very good quality. Burned (Blue Ray) authoring mode AVCHD not AVCHD-DVD, What the difference here is not sure?? Image quality (normal). Add Film – Took 45min to finish…Seems long to me I hope this improves? (Write DVD) went Quick. Play back however showed jitter and blurriness a complaint many have made, did the pause and play Technique picture looked great I also burned another Blu Ray with Movie Mode of corse there is more rendering time, but play back did not need Pause and play. Might be the way to go for your clients but this whole process takes some time $$$$. Is this a priority for Macro? HD to SD down convert in the S6000 was Excellent in quality but it took 45min to complete. Way to long… your better off sending out to tape and in camera convert, this process in faster but a nuisance.
Media Manager seems to be a great tool. Importated Music and film write through my router, Quality good. Exported to You Tube Quality good. Over all I have to say I’m Happy with the purchase SD Material is a snap. I know HD is still a fairly new Technology; However I have a lot of clients wanting it. Time is Money…Do you know how munch new Glasses are. Also thanks for Chet’s web site he helped me with questions there manuals did not explain.
Last edited by Rick on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Rick,

I have no idea what "Hemi required only at this time" means.

Visual/audible HD input leaves a lot to be desired and makes any sort of "proofing" or reviewing during input worthless.

Been that way from the Bogart inception so I wouldn't hold my breath on when that will be adequately addressed.

Finalizing is part of the conversion/acquisition import process and is unavoidable, not exactly sure what it is beyond that.

The time finalizing takes seems completely dependent on camera used and somewhat variable even using the same cam.

I normally experienced very little finalizing time (seconds to minutes for an hour input, but I know Lou use to run into a lot longer finalizing issues when he was still using tape.

Edit bin icon size is based on screen resolution you are using and can therefore be tweaked for older eyes.

The long GOP HDV format is horribly inefficient for editing and is incredibly render intensive so be resigned to long renders exporting HDV out of the Finish menu or with Arabesk's Add Film.

It's back to the set this task as your last process of the night for most efficient use of your machine. :( (not an exclusive issue to MSUS)

If the HD to SD internal downconvert looked "excellent", then they have made a major improvement with the S6000 over the S4000, good to hear.

I doubt it will be any significant time savings going out to tape and back in with HDV footage due to the long rendering time to export HDV from the Finish menu.

HD(V) is not that new a technology, I have been shooting in it for almost five years and I was not even an early adopter, don't look for any improvement in rendering times with HDV.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
Rick
PhotoStudio\Quadcam\
SplitXWedding\
Motion3D\CandyFactory\

Post by Rick »

Sorry miss spell I ment imput only HDMI.

conversion/acquistion process/ Hmmm.

Importing by tape creates higher finalizing? I wonder what the technical reason for that is?

Min. screen resolution is 1280 X 720. Still seems small.

movie mode is extremly intesive I agree. Do you rely on the Pause and play option for your clients?

Sending finshed HD material out and having the camera convert the footage to SD creates no rendering time. Not sure what you mean by that?

HD is new as far as the main stream is consered.
TimKennelly wrote:Rick,

I have no idea what "Hemi required only at this time" means.

Visual/audible HD input leaves a lot to be desired and makes any sort of "proofing" or reviewing during input worthless.

Been that way from the Bogart inception so I wouldn't hold my breath on when that will be adequately addressed.

Finalizing is part of the conversion/acquisition import process and is unavoidable, not exactly sure what it is beyond that.

The time finalizing takes seems completely dependent on camera used and somewhat variable even using the same cam.

I normally experienced very little finalizing time (seconds to minutes for an hour input, but I know Lou use to run into a lot longer finalizing issues when he was still using tape.

Edit bin icon size is based on screen resolution you are using and can therefore be tweaked for older eyes.

The long GOP HDV format is horribly inefficient for editing and is incredibly render intensive so be resigned to long renders exporting HDV out of the Finish menu or with Arabesk's Add Film.

It's back to the set this task as your last process of the night for most efficient use of your machine. :( (not an exclusive issue to MSUS)

If the HD to SD internal downconvert looked "excellent", then they have made a major improvement with the S6000 over the S4000, good to hear.

I doubt it will be any significant time savings going out to tape and back in with HDV footage due to the long rendering time to export HDV from the Finish menu.

HD(V) is not that new a technology, I have been shooting in it for almost five years and I was not even an early adopter, don't look for any improvement in rendering times with HDV.
Last edited by Rick on Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Rick,

Your mention of HD was in relationship to editing and MSUS and that has been possible with Bogart since it's inception (actually with Smart Edit before that) which is several years now which is definitely a long time in tech-ish time. :D

I did not have ANY clients pay for HD so never created for them, what I created for myself worked fine with my Sony Blu-ray player.
Sending finshed HD material out and having the camera convert the footage to SD creates no rendering time
Have you actually exported HD out to tape yet, the rendering (Create) required prior to export is horrendous (don't confuse that with rendered on the Storyboard).

There should be lower resolution settings unless this is a change in the S6000 or your monitor is the issue.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

Hi Rick,
don't want to take the "wind out of your S-6000 sails" and your report. ;)
But there are only few improvements if related to S-4000.
Yes, render speed is higher as you may see in comparison Chet has posted last week.
The bigger front display for time beeing will not give you more infos than S-4000 did.
You will gain time when importing HDV-Tape or AVCHD-Footage if you disable in
main menu Play/Record -->"Display during HDV recording".
So what's the use of watching a stuttering image on TV-Screen, as you say.
Sorry to say but you will gain no improvements in further times regarding render times
in "Finish" to HDV-Tape or "Add Film" for creating Arabesk AVCHD/Bluray or Arabesk SD-DVD.
Still quality of HD downconverted to SD also in S-6000 isn't better than before and takes
much render time.
Downconverting in recorder/cam is better and faster to import in SD project for creating Video DVDs
in Arabesk.
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
Rick
PhotoStudio\Quadcam\
SplitXWedding\
Motion3D\CandyFactory\

Post by Rick »

Thanks for the info. Disable ( Display during HDV Recording)
I agree downconverting in cam is better and faster.
Was in the market for the S-4000 when the S-6000 came on board.
HansJoachimKoenig wrote:Hi Rick,
don't want to take the "wind out of your S-6000 sails" and your report. ;)
But there are only few improvements if related to S-4000.
Yes, render speed is higher as you may see in comparison Chet has posted last week.
The bigger front display for time beeing will not give you more infos than S-4000 did.
You will gain time when importing HDV-Tape or AVCHD-Footage if you disable in
main menu Play/Record -->"Display during HDV recording".
So what's the use of watching a stuttering image on TV-Screen, as you say.
Sorry to say but you will gain no improvements in further times regarding render times
in "Finish" to HDV-Tape or "Add Film" for creating Arabesk AVCHD/Bluray or Arabesk SD-DVD.
Still quality of HD downconverted to SD also in S-6000 isn't better than before and takes
much render time.
Downconverting in recorder/cam is better and faster to import in SD project for creating Video DVDs
in Arabesk.
JohnKleban
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with SE 7

Post by JohnKleban »

Thanks for the reports. What I want to know now is has anyone edited a piece then on these new units and if so, did they have the crop of sync issues, migrating clips, etc. that seemed to playque the S4000 series? Is Quadcam working well with Bogart?
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras