camera compatability and Solitaire Upgrade?

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
bvolcjak
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire V7: DRC-Arabesk4.0, DRC-PhotoST2, DRC-FontSPKPRO, BorderX-BorderX, DRC-PIPSTUDIO, DRC-TITLEFX, TITLE FX2-TITLEFX2, TITLEX3D-TITLEFX3D, SPLIT-X-SPLIT-X, Bonus PkV1.0, Bonus EffectsV1.0, Effect Pks.1-4, Motion 3D, 1&2, VME Compact, Effects Pk 1,3,4V1.1, SplitXimage collection V1.0, Panasonic DVX100A camcorder

camera compatability and Solitaire Upgrade?

Post by bvolcjak »

My Panasonic DVX100A camcorder has worked well with my Solitaire V7 but I'm looking for another smaller cheaper ($6 - 700.00) unit that I can use as a back up. Aside from a firewire port, what else would I need to consider in the selection process to make it work well with my Solitaire?

Secondly, now that my Solitaire is approximately 7 years old, should I consider retro fitting it or just go for a completely new platform? I'd appreciate all comments.
Bill Volcjak,
Annapolis, Md.
Charles
Casablanca Unit: S6000 Effects 1,2,3,5,7,8 Blue Box World,
Arabesk 6.0a , Bogart 5.5c Disc Transfer 1.2

Re: camera compatability and Solitaire Upgrade?

Post by Charles »

Hi Bill
Can't answer your camera question but as for the upgrade i wouldn't go there,as you say the Sol is 7 years old either trade up and have software transferred or keep the Sol for less demanding work and go for a new model.
Just my 2p
Regards
Charles
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

If you are staying with mini-dv and SD, the SOLITAIRE is a workhorse and I would keep same.

If you want to purchase an updated or current camera and start offering HD, HD to the web for clients and/or make HD DVD's then I would upgrade to the Gen 3 editing systems which require NO transcoding like other editing systems.

BTW: Don't know if you are looking for a camera or editing system backup: I haven't been pushing it, my son has a CANON HV-20, for sale. This is both a HD camera and SD camera and can be used as a miniDV and HD deck. The pricing will fit way beneath your budget. The camera comes with 3 long lasting batteries, silver lens hood and even a wall charger. It was used for a few of his teaching projects. Contact me at Gocycle@optonline.net if interested.
bvolcjak wrote:My Panasonic DVX100A camcorder has worked well with my Solitaire V7 but I'm looking for another smaller cheaper ($6 - 700.00) unit that I can use as a back up. Aside from a firewire port, what else would I need to consider in the selection process to make it work well with my Solitaire?

Secondly, now that my Solitaire is approximately 7 years old, should I consider retro fitting it or just go for a completely new platform? I'd appreciate all comments.
bvolcjak
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire V7: DRC-Arabesk4.0, DRC-PhotoST2, DRC-FontSPKPRO, BorderX-BorderX, DRC-PIPSTUDIO, DRC-TITLEFX, TITLE FX2-TITLEFX2, TITLEX3D-TITLEFX3D, SPLIT-X-SPLIT-X, Bonus PkV1.0, Bonus EffectsV1.0, Effect Pks.1-4, Motion 3D, 1&2, VME Compact, Effects Pk 1,3,4V1.1, SplitXimage collection V1.0, Panasonic DVX100A camcorder

Post by bvolcjak »

Charles / Lou

Can you give me an idea about editing systems that followed the Solitaire and their key features? Guess I'm looking for something that would bridge the gap between my present system and curent models. It would be nice if the new animal would enable me to continue to work with my Pana. DVX100A camcorder (that uses miniDV cassettes & standard def. and fire wire out put) yet possess design sophistication compatable with newer camcorders with SD cards and HD capabilities. Thanks for your time and comments.
Bill Volcjak,
Annapolis, Md.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hi Bill
Agree with Lou the Solitaire is a work horse and a solid one at that,i wouldn't bother with what came after Sol as again you would be buying old technology.

The way to go is new either a S3000 or 6000 this is where Lou and i differ i don't see the value in all that extra dosh for the 6000 and the LCD screen is of no use IMHO. Lou will point you to the post where he highlights the plus points of the S6000 :) I have the S4000 and it handles DV like a dream don't do much HD and with Store n Share software you can add as many ex drives as you want,that is the one drawback with the new models unlike the Sol you can't have swapable drives with different o/s
HTH
Regards
Charles
bvolcjak

Post by bvolcjak »

So, would that be a Cassy S3000 or 6000? Just want to make sure I'm looking at the right animal. Also, are you familiar with McNallys Plug and Play on the internet?
Bill Volcjak,
Annapolis, Md.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hi Bill
I know of McNallys and i'm sure Lou knows of him as well but i'm in the UK.

My choice would be the S3000 unless your planing on doing Blue Ray as and when Arabesk is able because the S6000 includes the blue ray burner while it is an extra cost on the S3000 but you can burn AVCHD discs using Arabesk on both models time limited to round 20 to 25 minutes using standard DVD discs.

I would have a look on the MSUS web site i'm sure there will be full specs of both models there
Regards
Charles
bvolcjak

Post by bvolcjak »

Charles,

Let me back track a bit to gain a better understanding.

1. I assume my Solitaire will process data recorded on some of the newer SD designed camcorders, right? Ideally, I'd like to use a fire wire. So if the camera has a fire wire / DV out, I should be OK, right?

2. Both my Solitaire and my DVX100A camcorder have single male fire wire ports. I believe they're a 4 circuit alpha wire connector. They sort of look like a tiny rectangular plug with a concaved bottom. I've noticed that some camcorders use USB ports and cables. Can one end be USB and the other a fire wire plug like mine? Just trying to anticipate potential problems downloading data into my Solitaire with a newer camcorder that may not have the alpha wire port.

3. Processing HD would require a move up from my Solitaire to a generation 3 type of editing system, right? Do both the 3000 and the 6000 edit HD? Would either edit HD and standard def? I really appreciate your time. Thank you.
Bill Volcjak,
Annapolis, Md.
Charles

Post by Charles »

bvolcjak wrote:Charles,

1. I assume my Solitaire will process data recorded on some of the newer SD designed camcorders, right? Ideally, I'd like to use a fire wire. So if the camera has a fire wire / DV out, I should be OK, right?
Short answer Yes

2. Both my Solitaire and my DVX100A camcorder have single male fire wire ports. I believe they're a 4 circuit alpha wire connector. They sort of look like a tiny rectangular plug with a concaved bottom. I've noticed that some camcorders use USB ports and cables. Can one end be USB and the other a fire wire plug like mine? Just trying to anticipate potential problems downloading data into my Solitaire with a newer camcorder that may not have the alpha wire port.
I believe you can buy adapters USB to Firewire but how good quality would be i've no idea,sorry

3. Processing HD would require a move up from my Solitaire to a generation 3 type of editing system, right? Do both the 3000 and the 6000 edit HD? Would either edit HD and standard def? I really appreciate your time. Thank you.
Answer to both is Yes
HTH
Regards
Charles
bvolcjak

Post by bvolcjak »

So, both the 3000 and the 6 do HD and standard, right? Just want to make sure I understandd.
Bill Volcjak,
Annapolis, Md.