Record Menu - Analog input quit working

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Record Menu - Analog input quit working

Post by MikeMattke »

I had inputted a ton of video from a SVHS recorder. Suddenly, the S2000 locked up and would not record. I read somewhere to loop thru a DV camera. I tried my Canon and went into the DV input and the same thing happened. Usually when the cassie encounters bad video or no video it gives a message, now it just locks up the machine. I have had so many freeze ups or lock ups in the last few days I am ready to use this as a boat anchor! Might as well bring back the Red Box of Death, even the newer "S" series machines fail as much as the old days.
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Re: Record Menu - Analog input quit working

Post by MikeMattke »

Still not working. Reloaded OS twice and when I go and try to input video it shuts down the system.

1) I tried burning the VHS footage to a DVD first and then input, same deal.
2) I ran the VHS into a Mini-DV camcorder and then used the DV input and that didn't work either.
3) Called Boulder just before lunch today, but NO call back.
4) The vendor I bought the S2000 from was going to call them for me but I haven't heard anything back about that either.
5) ARGHH!
Mike Mattke
Sturgeon Bay, WI
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Mike,

If it's locking the system up it seems it isn't really about the footage itself, but specifically the analog input has some issue beyond the old fashion "bad footage" circuitry issue of the Smart Edit machines.

If you burned the footage to a stand alone DVD burner and then tried to input it via analog that really just makes the footage lousier, not better.

Your title says analog input quit working, but it sounds like you are saying it doesn't work even with the DV connection.

When you say you are running it through your Canon DV connection are you saying recorded to the Canon and then played back or do you mean a live pass through?

Most Sony's use to have analog to digital converter circuitry, but most Canon's did not.

I am not saying this should need to be done (an editor should just accept analog footage if it has analog input), but have you tried recording the footage to your Canon cam and then inputting the tape digitally into your unit?

I would assume that would work as a short term work around.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
MikeMattke

Post by MikeMattke »

Thanks Tim for responding. I have tried with analog footage from 4 different tapes so the odds of them all having "iffy" scenes is pretty slim. I did mean pass through when I tried he Canon. I had read that as a tip on Chet's site so I tried that. I will try recording to the Canon if I can. It is a ZR200 so I am not sure if is capable of recording from an outside source.

I had another thought. Since it shuts down after a short time, could the memory be full and not dumping? Is there a way to clear the memory or the cache? On the Prestige I had to "reseat" the RAM card, would this happen with a newer machine like my S2000? I have reloaded the software a couple of times and downloaded 2 different ISO files. I think it is hardware or some other snafu cuz everything else seems to be working.

Anything else in your bag of tricks?

Thanks again.
Mike Mattke
Sturgeon Bay, WI
MikeMattke

Post by MikeMattke »

My small Canon allowed me to record to the SD card. I tried to input that into my S2000 but after the progress bar was at about 50% it shut down. I am not an expert but it does seem to be pointing to a hardware or a RAM problem?
Mike Mattke
Sturgeon Bay, WI
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

So even digital input is suffering crashes?

I suppose it could be a ram problem.

I think you can rule out software as the culprit if you have done full, destructive installs and the crashes continue.

I would say a possible heat build up hardware problem might be more likely than a ram problem though.

I am unfamiliar with the S2000, does it use the same passive external cooling fins like the S4000Pro or does it use a fan(s) or what?

If fans, do you hear them, do they sound different, do they ramp up?

A crude, but effective test on it being a heat build up problem would be to put an external fan or fans blowing directly on the S2000 and see if that extends the operational duration or ends the crashes completely.

Tim Kennelly
MikeMattke

Post by MikeMattke »

I don't think it was heat build up unless that caused the RAM to unseat in the machine. I have left the unit overnight and when I try to input footage, it shuts down immediately. Yes, it has the same passive system with that big hold heat sink on the back.

Yes, digital input also causes the crash. Have to find someone to walk me through opening up the case and checking the RAM and the video board to make sure it is seated tight.
Mike Mattke
Sturgeon Bay, WI
MikeMattke

Post by MikeMattke »

The answer should come by the end of this week. The S2000 is hurling its way toward Boulder as I type this. I can't wait to find out [only if it is minor and cheap] what the problem is/was. Thanks again to Tim for some ideas before I spoke to the mother ship and it was determined that my unit must fly home.
Mike Mattke
Sturgeon Bay, WI
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Good luck on the costs of what is wrong that needs repair and let us know if you would, Mike.

Tim Kennelly