Can't Read BD-R via RECORD Window

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Can't Read BD-R via RECORD Window

Post by Rte80west »

I am trying to import footage from a BD-R as follows:

- RECORD window
- Import material from USB/CD/DVD
- Select proper drive
- 3 files show - I selected each one separetly and all of them- tried a number of different ways
- Click ALL
Then screen 'Importing All Files' shows - but the system gets hung up. No footage shows and nothing gets imported. Eventually it will exit back to the prior screen. Clicking cancel does nothing, I have to eject disc to end the process or just wait until it flips back to the prior screen.

I have tried this on SIX different BD-R, all created maybe 2-3 years ago. Cant recall if I burned them on the Karat or if it was the S4k. All of these BD-R play fine in a DVD player and also play fine in Media Manager. I also tried reading disc via Arabesk but it failed. The discs all look clean and as I described, play fine on devices.

Also, I tried both disc drives, same result. I was successfully able to import footage from a BD-R from the same manufacturer burned more recently (~ 1 yr) on the Karat.

Odd problem, I have no idea whats going on. Not all six of these BD-R can be 'bad' I wouldnt think. And also, they all play on devices so what gives? I am using latest version (I think) - 5.5c. No idea what to do. Any input appreciated. Thanks!
bethklinger
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 4 Windows only! B4W in Casablanca Studio Ultra i7 6700K Intel (R) HD Graphics 530 (31.101.2111), NVIDIA GForce GTX1060 (30.0.15.1694) 6GB, Photopia Creator, Premiere Pro, Photoshop CS6, 2 Lumix G85 DSLR, 1 Lumix G9 DSLR, 2 Vizio 1920x1080 P 42" 4K monitor. LG Ultra HD BR Player UBK 80, LG HD BR Player & Power DVD 21.

Re: Can't Read BD-R via RECORD Window

Post by bethklinger »

How about if you take the disc and create a file to your PC HDD then drop the file to a thumb drive and see if it reads that? I haven't tried recently to read a Blu-ray disc back into my Karat, but I do remember it never used to be successful. Maybe because the discs were burned back then?
Beth Klinger
bethklinger
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 4 Windows only! B4W in Casablanca Studio Ultra i7 6700K Intel (R) HD Graphics 530 (31.101.2111), NVIDIA GForce GTX1060 (30.0.15.1694) 6GB, Photopia Creator, Premiere Pro, Photoshop CS6, 2 Lumix G85 DSLR, 1 Lumix G9 DSLR, 2 Vizio 1920x1080 P 42" 4K monitor. LG Ultra HD BR Player UBK 80, LG HD BR Player & Power DVD 21.

Post by bethklinger »

Actually I just tried to injest an old one (maybe 6 years old) that I had here thru the recording/import window and it worked just fine. I'm using a Karat with SE 6.1.
Beth Klinger
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Do not click all.

One is the menu and another is the End screen.

The main stream should be in the middle and May appear as blank.

Click on the one file and wait....it will then import. I know this works in Bogart 6 and will work in 7 as well.
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Thanx Lou & Beth-

To clarify, I tried it a number of different ways. I clicked All and then each of the three individually - nothing worked. Its a dozen BD-R I burned about 2 years ago. Checked older and newer discs and they read in fine so it isnt the drive. I tried Isobuster on the BD-R and I admit I have no idea how it works or what the issue is but it was able to extract a .m2ts file from the disc which I will try to load into the KArat tonight. I assume this extension is just the transport stream code for a blu ray right?

Which brings up another question - when I archive to an external drive I have been using Backup Storyboard and (I believe) the file extension is mpeg. Which is the best way to archive lossless or relatively lossless footage? My understanding is using backup storyboard with HDV active gives footage that isnt quite lossless but darn close. I'd imagine loading in a pre-existing dvd via the record window would result in bringing in footage with more loss because its already been compressed but is it THAT much worse? Getting a bit of ftopic here but I will see if I can bring the .m2ts footage into the unit tonight.
bethklinger

Post by bethklinger »

Truthfully I was quite impressed with the image on both of the BD discs I re-imported via the record window. I'm sure there is some image loss (doubt a client would be able to tell) and I would have NO PROBLEM with them if I had to do a re-edit from them. Still not the best way to archive but if you had to, nice to know it works. I never tried a .m2ts file, let us know how/if it works.
Beth Klinger
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Well I tried it.

Not sure whats going on - when I converted the BD-R to a ts file it played for 20 minutes then got all scrambled and stopped - there seems to be an issue with the data on the disc. But what I dont understand is why does the BD-R I burned play fine? I dont get it. Youd figure if there was an issue with the data on the disc it wouldnt load into the Karat, would not play on the computer (which it doesnt) but it DOES play fine on home DVD players. Problem seems to be there with a bunch of BD-R discs but a bunch more are fine. Hard to say the problem is the discs if they play well in some locations. Beyond frustrating
bethklinger

Post by bethklinger »

Can you hook it up to your KARAT and play/record it in through the DVD player?
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

It appears to be a media issue. My bets rest with a bit rate and burn speeds are the culprit....
Rte80west

Post by Rte80west »

Lou-

Going with that logic, it would mean what? The discs will play fine on home players but forget about loading it back into the Karat or ripping to drive?