Bogart OS 2, update or complete distructive install?

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
PaulBusta
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS, with much software.

Bogart OS 2, update or complete distructive install?

Post by PaulBusta »

Is it just an update to OS 1.2 or complete destructive install? I'm wanting to know so I know ahead of time what to do with my project.
Paul Busta

P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS with much software.
Casablanca user since 1997.
Lowell
Casablanca Unit: 1 casablanca solitaire most software. liberty plus all software one S4000 pro most software. One S4000 pro all software. 6 panasonic and 2 sony 3ccd cams. running Se9 on solitare and bogart 3.2 on both S4000's.

Re: Bogart OS 2, update or complete distructive install?

Post by Lowell »

Hi Paul at the meeting in Ft. Wayne it was said all you have to do is install not a full. Looking forward to it as it has some really great things. :lol: :D
Lowell Brockway email: justperfectvideo@sbcglobal.net 330-922-5606
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

I would like to give some good advice. I would do a full install of any OS. Sometimes so-called "BUGS" can carry over from one OS to another. With a full install you have a clean slate.
Just my 2 cents.

HINT: INSTALL v 1.3c first using your 1.2 code

Then:

Install 2.0C when we recieve our codes.

Then:

.ARABESK 4.1E
PaulBusta

Post by PaulBusta »

Do we HAVE to talk about "BUGS" :lol: I've still have one I can't get rid of. :lol: 2 different school's of thought, 2 different answers. I've had good luck so far (knock on wood) so I think I'll just go with the up-date. :o :lol: Besides, all the "fix's" should be in 2.0 shouldn't they. :?
Paul Busta

TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

shoulda,woulda,coulda. . .

You can use either upgrade or full install, but I have never seen the upgrade method (when doing it with the same OS) fix anything, so I don't have much confidence in upgrading between two completely different OS's to be any different.

I for one prefer full installs.

Of course, this practice means the no-sled internal terrabyte drive is over, overkill capacity for me, but so be it.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
PaulBusta

Post by PaulBusta »

But Tim, isn't that the reason why they do the sequential up dates, to fix the bugs so that when say OS 2 comes out all the known bugs will be fixed. If anything I would think that the bugs in OS 2 would be bugs pertaining to the new features that had been added. I have been reading the forum long enough to know that that isn't the always the case though. Chet, what do you have to say about this.
Paul Busta

LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Take Tim's advice. Take my advice. MSUS always recommends a full install of any OS. I would do so with 2.0C. I plan to do so as well.
PaulBusta wrote:But Tim, isn't that the reason why they do the sequential up grades, to fix the bugs so that when say OS 2 comes out all the known bugs will be fixed. If anything I would think that the bugs in OS 2 would be bugs pertaining to the new features that had been added. I have been reading the forum long enough to know that that isn't the always the case though. Chet, what do you have to say about this.
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

All I can do Paul is give the advice, following it is up to the individual.

Then, I try to help solve the problems when the advice is not followed. ;)

Sometimes it's easy because I know the steps as I have already trod that path, sometimes it's new ground and all I can give is educated guesses.

The Bogart SE operating system is very new ground.

I will reitterate, I have never (as in never, ever, ever, zip, zero, zilch) seen using the upgrade path with the same OS version ever fix a "glitch".

Of course, if there is a specific bug you are experiencing and MS comes out with a new version of the OS that states it will fix that I would use the upgrade path, but for that and that alone and would not expect it to fix anything else not specifically claimed.

Even so, sometimes that works, sometimes not and this is when we are talking a percentage change such as 4.0 to 4.1e or some such.

Now, when you are talking a major OS revamping when they switch actual numbers say between 1 and 2, well then, if it's at all possible for me to do a full install, I am going to do a full install.

In my opinion, those using the S4P and the new linux based Bogart operating system are on the cutting edge, some would call it the bleeding edge.

Pushing that limit normally has it's downsides, YMMV.

Tim Kennelly
PaulBusta

Post by PaulBusta »

I hear ya Tim, all these years and I've never had to do a distructive install on any of my systems because I've never had any problems that needed to be fixed, not once. When I read some of the horror stories some people have it's hard for me to believe because I've had none of them. I'm knocking on wood all over my place now. :? :lol:
Paul Busta

TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Well, you make two people that have recently mentioned they have not had problems and for that you I would make the same suggestion I did the last one of those, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

For the rest of us . . .

Tim Kennelly