Current Lacie Harddrive for SE7 Backup use

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Current Lacie Harddrive for SE7 Backup use

Post by TimKennelly »

I was asked for current Lacie models that work and am not finding current info anywhere?

Chet?
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Re: Current Lacie Harddrive for SE7 Backup use

Post by JPaul »

I just purchased through a dealer the Lacie 301210U - 500 GB Firewire/USB external drive. My dealer also offered me the Lacie 750 GB model. I believe he ordered it though MSUS.
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Post by chetdavis »

At this point the only models that are confirmed to work as an external HDD for use with Casablanca as an archival tool (using the Storyboard Archive functions in Smart Edit 6+) are the LaCie Porsche drives noted here:

LaCie 301105U - 160 GB model
LaCie 300703U - 250 GB model
LaCie 301104U - 500 GB model
LaCie 301210U - 500gig Firewire & USB

I will need to confirm the specific model # of the 750 GB HDD tomorrow.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
Vice-President, Marketing & Sales
MacroSystem US
http://www.macrosystem.us
Office 303.801.1056
chetdavis
Site Admin

Post by chetdavis »

Here is the model numbers of the two LaCie HDDs we currently have in stock. You can order these through your Casablanca dealer, or if you have any questions you can contact our Boulder office directly at (303) 801-1031.

Both these models have USB for the current Smart Edit archive/restore functions and also have Firewire, so they will successfully operate with the new Bogart SE OS:

500gb = 301210U
750gb = 301211U

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
MacroSystem US
Office 303.801.1056
BobNaughton
Casablanca Unit: Smart Edit 8 Prestige Plus 256MB, Bluebox World, PIP Studio,Disk Transfer, QuadCam, Motion Perfect, Motion 3D, Photo Studio2, Photo Transfer, Audio Effects Pkg, Magic Lights, Filter Pack,Arabesk 4,That's about it. I generally use a 2 monitor setup.

Shoot with 2 Sony VX2000's, and also a VX2100.

Post by BobNaughton »

Tim, I recently purchased the LaCie 301210U 500g hard drive and it worked for me right out of the box. I actually purchased it online from b&h photovideo of New York as the dealer was out of stock. Lacie says that the Porsche design has been discontinued in favor of their Quadra and Neil Poulton designs and "should" be as compatible as the Porsche design. I chose to get the trusted and true Porsche design, but I guess they are getting scarce.
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Post by MikeMattke »

After reading these posts I am confused. A few weeks ago the word on the street was that the S-4000 Pro would only work with a USB drive, or was it a firewire drive? Now I read that there is a Lacie drive that will work with the new units with the Bogart SE????

I have my S-4000 Pro on order and would like to order a drive now, WHICH DO I ORDER - THE FIREWIRE OR THE USB - OR WILL THAT COMBO DRIVE WORK THAT HAS BOTH CONNECTIONS???

CDW said that one of the drives Chet listed is discontinued but suggested the following:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/defaul ... _-Main+Tab

But will it work with the S-4000 Pro?? Why is it so hard to get an answer on which drive to order :cry:
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
chetdavis
Site Admin

Post by chetdavis »

Hello Mike,

It's really not so hard to get an answer ;) ... here you go,

For existing products using Smart Edit Version 7 or 6, the above detailed LaCie Porsche HDDs are the choice. On the current OS, the firewire connection is the operable means of backup and restoring the Storyboard.

For the new products running the Bogart SE, the 2 LaCie HDDs specified above (500gb- Model 301210U and 750gb - Model 301211U) are your choice as the new Bogart SE is designed to function with the USB connection.

We are aware of the discontinuation of the LaCie Porsche HDDs and will be ready to provide compatible new models but for now we do still have the 500gb and 750gb models in stock and available for immediate delivery.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
MacroSystem US
Office 303.801.1056
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Post by MikeMattke »

Once again I must quote my UPer neighbors to the North of me, "Chet, U R da Man!" I will contact my dealer extraordinare, Michael Gunderson and get that cooking.
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

Hi Chet,
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your statement.
A storyboard saving with current Casablanca machines operated with SE6 & SE7
can only be achieved on a Firewire Harddisk.

Hans-Joachim König
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
chetdavis
Site Admin

Post by chetdavis »

Thanks for watching my back - Hans. You are correct and I have made the adjustment in my previous post so it is now accurate.

Thanks,
Chet
Chet Davis
MacroSystem US
Office 303.801.1056