Uploading DVDs to Edit

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
johnneumann
Casablanca Unit: Kron

Uploading DVDs to Edit

Post by johnneumann »

The newer feature that the MS editors have as of SE 6...where you can load a DVD back into the editor for further editing...does the machine only allow you to load DVDs burned on its own system? Or can you load other non-copy-protected DVDs in for editing?

Say for example you edited and burned a DVD on a PC-based editing system...would you be able to read the DVD into a Kron with a newer OS to further edit?

I've heard in the past that uploading DVDs was a feature only for MS-burned DVDs....but then I heard of guys who went right ahead and loaded in non MS-burned DVDs and the machine uploaded it just fine.

Anyone had any actual experience with this? I have a lot of non-MS burned DVDs that I'd like to further edit and reburn on my Kron once I get a newer OS than the 4.1 I currently have.

-JOHN
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Uploading DVDs to Edit

Post by BobFoster »

Typically non Arabesk DVDs lose their audio or it is badly distorted. I have used it where only the video was needed.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Media Manger should do this if not copy protected. BogartSE is necessary with media Manager.
johnneumann wrote:The newer feature that the MS editors have as of SE 6...where you can load a DVD back into the editor for further editing...does the machine only allow you to load DVDs burned on its own system? Or can you load other non-copy-protected DVDs in for editing?

Say for example you edited and burned a DVD on a PC-based editing system...would you be able to read the DVD into a Kron with a newer OS to further edit?

I've heard in the past that uploading DVDs was a feature only for MS-burned DVDs....but then I heard of guys who went right ahead and loaded in non MS-burned DVDs and the machine uploaded it just fine.

Anyone had any actual experience with this? I have a lot of non-MS burned DVDs that I'd like to further edit and reburn on my Kron once I get a newer OS than the 4.1 I currently have.

-JOHN
johnneumann

Post by johnneumann »

Bogart ... that's some thing for the newer machines, right?

So there's nothing for a (hack! cough! wheez!) original Kron user that would allow him to upload a non-Arabesk burned DVD into SE6...?

I can't imagine why MS couldn't write a program for this or make it stock in an OS. Nobody could rightfully complain. I remember when MS was too shy to let us upload MP3s to edit because the MP3/Napster thing was in full swing.

Why should I not be able to upload non-copyrighted DVDs into my machine?

Or perhaps just transfer over VideoTS files via Firewire?
Martyn
Casablanca Unit: You name it

Post by Martyn »

I believe manufacturers of DVD recording equipment are supposed to make it impossible (read difficult) for copyrighted DVD's to be copied. Every DVD produced has a copyright to someone. To do this Arabesk records a small file when writing a DVD. If it cannot find this file when you try and copy it, it refuses, simple but effective. I guess it depends on which side of the shop counter you are standing as to your opinion on this. Other threads have complained about the copying of wedding DVD's etc.

Martyn
Dalco uk
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Check out DVD FAB GOLD.........rips any disc...any.
Martyn wrote:I believe manufacturers of DVD recording equipment are supposed to make it impossible (read difficult) for copyrighted DVD's to be copied. Every DVD produced has a copyright to someone. To do this Arabesk records a small file when writing a DVD. If it cannot find this file when you try and copy it, it refuses, simple but effective. I guess it depends on which side of the shop counter you are standing as to your opinion on this. Other threads have complained about the copying of wedding DVD's etc.

Martyn
Dalco uk
Martyn
Casablanca Unit: You name it

Post by Martyn »

Yes Lou I know there are several programs around that can bypass copyright devices, although not everyone has the knowledge or skill to use them. However, I was suggesting the reason why MS have to at least show that they made the effort to prevent copyright theft using their equipment.

Martyn
Dalco uk
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

If they want to keep their licensing and not be sued they sure as heck have to kowtow to such legal system rules. :D
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
johnneumann

Post by johnneumann »

Hey!

Ya'll - every last one of ya - has lost the intention of the original question here.

I was asking - let me clear my throat here - if there were resources to upload non-copyrighted discs into an old Kron for the purpose of editing. In my case, I'm talking about home movies burned to DVD on another non-MS machine - ie, my computer.

At no point was this thread about duplicating copyrighted DVDs.

Tim's comment about kowtow'ing to legal system rules was well-intentioned, but completely off topic.

If software like Toast Titanium makes it easy and perfectly legal to duplicate any disc that has no copyright on it, it should be no harder or more illegal to do it on a Kron. And in the case of my Kron, it makes it no more illegal to edit the thing before duplicating it.

I remember back when MS would not allow MP3s to be loaded into their machines - not because it was illegal to do so - but because they just didn't want to get caught up (read: sued) in the debate about illegal downloading which was hot at the time.

Now what illegally downloading MP3s has to do with using loading an MP3 into my Kron for use as a soundtrack is anyone's guess. Computers play MP3s. iPods play MP3s. DVD burners save MP3s. None of that is illegal.

Downloading, making available, or having unlicensed MP3s is illegal. That's it.

So now what? Computers should no longer be able to play MP3s because some of them are illegal? iPods can't load MP3s into their memory? DVD burners should recognize MP3 files and refuse to burn them to discs?

They shut down Napster, as well they should. Napster was directly facilitating the illegal transfer of files.

They continue to bust teenagers who are known to download movies and audio illegally, as well they should.

So there are some of you who would now want to penalize Sony because some of those illegal files were burned to Sony discs on a Sony DVD burner?

Someone at MS made the decision a while ago to not permit MP3s to be read into an MS machine's memory - despite the easy ability to include such a feature - because that same person decided (completely without logic or legal argument) that MP3s were too legally "charged" to be included on our machines.

The decision was made to omit MP3 technology from our machines. Nobody benefited, no crimes were prevented (again, MS could not possibly be held accountable if I used an illegal MP3 on a wedding movie), and the omission of the technology from our machines went on to be a minor embarrassment as it made no sense. Today we can happily load MP3 into memory and use them however we wish. Thank you!

(And may I say, I have yet to use an illegal MP3 on my Kron. I suspect that 99.999% of you can say the same.)

So back to my home movies. There is no possible advancement of any illegality by allowing an uncopyrigted and uncopy-protected non-Arabesk movie to be loaded into an MS unit. You say, "But it's easy to get around copy protection code on a Mac or a PC and reburn a disc without the code on it."

So what? Mac and all the PC makers don't hold themselves accountable for that. The DVD burner companies don't hold themselves accountable for that. Makers of blank discs don't hold themselves accountable for that.

Why on earth does Macrosystem?

Heck, it seems that even the makers of the software that rips the DVDs without the copy code can't be held accountable, because the software is still easily available in conventional retail stores!

Here's my take: (and I know you're all asking for my opinion...) Not being able to load my own movies, made on a computer, into an MS machine - when it can do so with Arabesk DVDs - makes no logical or legal sense whatsoever. It's the exact same conversation as the MP3 thing a few years ago.

Will some guys edit a previously copy-protected ripped movie on their MS machines? Possibly, but highly unlikely. A $6000 editing appliance is not really the tool of choice for snot-nosed teens looking for a bootleg of the latest Ben Stiller movie.

And obviously, if a DVD is already stripped of its copy-protection...what on earth would you use an MS machine for? Highlights? Who's going to buy that?

This is a video editor - not a duplicator.

Let me say it one more time: If a DVD has no copy-protection code on it, my MS machine should not be permitted to discern what's on the disc.

And let's get real specific here, too. I have DVDs with stock footage and backdrops and such that are MADE to be loaded into an editor, but I can't do it because...well, you know...

So I have to load it in analog!

Someone says, "Legally speaking...better safe than sorry."

Yeah. Right. Might as well deprive me of a power cord because I might electrocute myself, too.

So if the conversation is largely finished on this thread and no one has any suggestions for how to get my outcome - loading a previously burned non-Arabesk home movie into my Kron digitally - then let me please leave a polite request for that feature in the very near future.

If someone does have some solutions, please, I'm all ears.

-JOHN
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Post by JPaul »

John, I'm sure you know that you can connect a stand alone dvd player with rca audio and s-video cable to your Kron - record as you would from tape. Then you have it in your scene bin and can edit and produce a new dvd. Although the video quality is not as high as Ksebara, it works pretty well and is faster (real time). This may be your best alternative and something you could try even now with OS 4.
Last edited by JPaul on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia