cknewman

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

cknewman

Post by flvideo »

Hey Craig, does this sound like its overdriving. I haven't been able to get the whirlwind to work for me yet but I found a bad mic cable that was making a lot of my noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2_5gnB_zS8
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: cknewman

Post by BobFoster »

Not Craig, but it could also be the announcer over modulating the mic in the excitement. There is some distortion in the recording but hard to tell what the source might be. :?
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Thanks Bob. I tell Jason, the announcer, all the time don't yell. He just gets so excited and can't help it. He is one of the best announcers I have ever worked with. I have had some audio problems but I was pleased with it this last week. I found the source of my crackling noise. Jason's mic had a bad cable on it. I gave him one of mine and it cleaned it all up. The Pa there is not the best. the track is operating on a hope and a prayer. I take my feed off their board, an old Mackie 1202, at the phones jack. Craig thought I was over driving from there, but I can't get anything else to work like it does. Thanks Again Bob...
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Yes, it sounds distorted.

On Feb 21st I posted this:
"The top row of red knobs on the 1202 are the Aux 1 volume controls. I researched and found that the older 1202 did not have an Aux Send Master in addition to the individual channel Aux 1 volume controls.

I wonder if some tracks have their mixer's controls set at too high a level for the input of the PA amplifier. That would definitely cause distortion, coughing, sputtering, drop-outs.... get the picture? If that's the case it's better to back the levels down on the mixer and raise the volume of the PA amplifier."

I think I also suggested putting a foam windscreen over the mic.

You might want to go the place that sold you the DA box with your 1202 mixer and ask him about the Aux Send, etc.
Craig Newman
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Hey Craig. It sounds a whole lot better than it did. I have questioned Jason about the levels but he insists they need to be where they are. I think you are right he is over driving the amp. That coupled with him geting excited and yelling. I can't see how he is able to talk after the program is over, but I must say he adds to the excitment. I worked with a guy that was all monotone and that was a drag. People listened to him for years though. Go figure. The bad cable was the source of my spitting and sputtering. I just had a thought. Could I take my mackie and have a sub feed off his and set my own levels? I was thinking I could tone his levels in my mixer and re set them for my camera. I have seen multible boards set up but I don't know what those circumstances were. Bob...
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Could I take my mackie and have a sub feed off his and set my own levels?
Yes, if you know where to get an output from his mixer. But if the gain on his mic is too high and you tap into it, it won't sound that much better.

Sports announcers do get excited and yell into the mic - you hear it on radio and tv all the time - so the sound guys adjust levels accordingly.
Craig Newman
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Well that chinches my butt. I'm the sound guy and I am busy behind a camera!!! I have a hard time mixing the nat sound with my wireless. I am outside with it and the mix I hear sounds ok but the nat sound at times is almost nonexistant on tape cause I have it turned down too low. Somw classes make a lot more noise than others and when I have those classes turned down so they don't overpower the announcer and I for get to turn it up when the quieter classes are on the track. I used to be able to cut 1 chanel down in post but with the Cassie I don't have that option. Can't have everything. Thanks Craig. Bob...