Instructional Video Advice

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Instructional Video Advice

Post by chetdavis »

The following is from a Casablanca 'family' member -- he posted this on the Cassie Tips List Serve and I thought it valuable enough to share with folks on this Forum (I did receive Todd's permission prior to this post). If you find value in this information it may be appropriate for you to send Todd a thank you.
Chet

Here is the question that motivated Todd's response that is rich with info and tips:
"My niece is a yoga instructor who wants me to help her produce a self help instructional video. I have not done anything like this before so I really can't point her in the right direction as to what steps she has to do after we tape it to go about getting it 'published'. "
I shot my first instructional in 1993. I now have 25 instructional videos covering a wide variety of subjects. We ship several titles each week and it produces steady income for us.

The first advice is to write up a description of the video explaining why a potential customer should buy it. This description should give the content and benefits the video will give the buyer. Be sure to include everything that a person interested in that subject would want to learn or hear about. This description will then tell you what you should produce. Do not produce what you like but what the market is asking for. This method of making a marketing campaign before you shoot will tell you much about what the video should include.

From your description, identify content that is not currently over-saturated with videos already. Decide on the target for the content. Is it beginners, intermediate or advanced? My experience is that the beginner level is easier to sell than advanced. There are always more beginner/intermediates in a market than advanced. Also, advanced buyers really expect you to show them something incredible that they don't know already. Next, focus on this subject matter and create a production schedule that outlines the flow of the video.

Content is king. The customers for instructionals want to learn the subject matter. They care little for video production. You goal is to produce the video in a way that maximizes their ability to learn. Be sure that video production does not get in the way of learning by upstaging the content or by being a distraction.

The expert in the field needs to tell you about the yoga market. What magazines are produced for that market? How does the average person get their information on the subject? What videos are out there now? Does the video need to have a celebrity angle or can the content alone sell it? Use this to create a marketing plan.

A great place to sell your video is the school and library market. There are over 21,000 libraries in the U.S. They like videos that teach something to the masses. The real narrow subjects taught to advanced viewers are not the ideal videos for libraries. These are best sold through magazine ads. There are dealers that will carry your video and do the marketing for 40% off the retail price.

The important thing to remember is that your success is tied more to marketing than video production. You can make videos all day long. However, you need to know how to get find the customer and make them want the video. Otherwise, it will be a big waste of your time. Create your marketing plan and produce a video around it. Good luck!

Todd Monnin
Video Specialties
Slidell, LA
You can send a message to Todd via Email: vidspec@bellsouth.net
Company website: http://www.videospecialties.com