dvd to avi

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
jeffphilips
Casablanca Unit: Renomee Plus, SE 7

dvd to avi

Post by jeffphilips »

Does anyone know how to get a dvd that was burned on the cassie, converted to an avi file. I do not want to convert it in real time in movie maker. I was told there is some sort of dvd ripper. Any clues?
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: dvd to avi

Post by CKNewman »

If you used more recent versions of Smart Edit and Arabesk software, you should be able to use Ksebara (Arabesk spelled backwards) in the Cassie to rip the DVD and put it into a project. Then use the add-on program Disk Transfer to convert and burn an AVI file to a DVD in the Cassie. I haven't done this yet but from everything I've read this should be possible.
Craig Newman
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

It is possible, but Ksebara is slower than real time (considerably) so I don't think that would fit for Jeff.

Jeff, I assume you don't have the Project (DVD) still on a Storyboard/Scene bin?

If you did, Craig's second part suggestion of Disk Transfer would be the best choice as DT is way faster than real time and creating AVI files directly from the Scene bin that are compatible with ours, PCs and MACs, is it's function.

There are PC ripper software out there, but I have never used any of them.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

Thanks guys!
I have 6 projects, which range from 2-7 minutes that I want to convert to flash. They are all on dvd and no longer on my renommee. I could import them back into my system, since they are so short, it wouldn't be that much time. I would then convert to avi using DT . The question I have is this; can I save the avi to the scene bin and play it in the storyboard? I then want to firewire this directly to my flash encoder on my pc to convert to flash. Or do I burn the avi to dvd and save it to my pc then convert to flash. Ultimately, I am trying to find the quickest and easiest way to do so.
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

Call me crazy, but I tried to test a video in the scene bin to convert to avi using DT. It appears to me that this cannot be done.
has anyone ever done it before?
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
mykle
Casablanca Unit: PAL: S-4100 Blu-ray. Bogart SE 4.1c Arabesk 5. Sony FX7 HDV and a Panasonic HD TM 700 camera. Sony GV-HD 700E HDV/DV recorder/player. Panasonic DMP-BD 60 Blu-ray player. Toshiba 20" TV (16:9 monitor), and some other DV equipment, still in use.

Post by mykle »

May be this could be for some help:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PressKits/Da ... 7Dec07.pdf

I have never tried it by myself.
ØyvindMyklebust
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Jeff,

To use Disk-Transfer for PC AVI use:

Finish, Arabesk Start program, Settings, set Disk-Transfer to Type 2 if it is not, Ok, Disk-Transfer Export, Select Project, Select Scene, Add scene.

Select Project and Select Scene repeatedly to add all desired Scenes, then Ok.

Write DVD (with DVD in burner).

Once burned, transfer DVD to PC DVD ROM or burner, open DVD folder, open DVEXPORT folder, choose Scene(s).

You can convert directly from there, drag/drop or copy paste the AVI files to anywhere on your PC to convert them later if desired.

Disk Transfer automatically converts them to AVI in the Add scene process.

This is only for export, not for use on the Storyboard, but realize the Scene bin and Storyboard operate at AVI/DV compression already and are downgraded to MPEG2 with Arabesk for standard DVD compression levels (that you set with Standard, High, etc video and uncompressed, compressed audio) or transferred with no additional compression as AVI files with Disk-Transfer.

Tim Kennelly
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

As you have Disk-Transfer, I would get in the habit of archiving your short flicks to Disk Transfer so you can keep them at the superior DV/AVI compression level and also retain digital re-input capabilities as DT file input is considerably faster than real time.

I keep Scenes that I repeat (like graphic backgrounds) archived on DT DVDs for easy reuse on multiple drives and currently even multiple editors as I have both the Solitaire and S4P currently and they are compatible in all of our units as well as PC and Mac.

Tim Kennelly
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

Great advice!
Thank you
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
Brent
Casablanca Unit: _
1 - S-4000
1 - Prestige SE8
7 - Prestige SE7
7 - Prestige SE3
1 - Kron+

Post by Brent »

I use a (free) program called MediaCoder to convert DVD's that were made on my Prestiges to Flash for our web site. MediaCoder also makes the thumbnails!
Brent Barber
Video Instructor & AV Director
Crown Point High School
Crown Point, IN
CPHS Showtime