Selling Backgrounds ?

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
rone
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire Plus, all software, GL2 and GY HM 700

Selling Backgrounds ?

Post by rone »

OK, since MS Germany will not answer my e-mail question, prehaps someone here can answer a legal question.

If I make a background to be used by "others" using any of our software graphics programs and SELL the backgound, would I be creating a crime? :o
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Selling Backgrounds ?

Post by BobFoster »

My answering your question would be a crime. That of a non lawyer giving legal advise. BUT, I'm sure someone will give an opinion.
(This opinion submitted after recording legal seminars for the last 10 years.) :D :shock:
rone
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire Plus, all software, GL2 and GY HM 700

Post by rone »

Maybe I need to phrase the question like this, " Has anyone seen any printed material by MS that would claim certain RIGHTS that would be of concern to us SELLING video material produced on their hardware/software" ? I wouldn't think so but I also think the general concern is valid for MS users. If a person spills hot coffee in her lap at McDonnalds and gets BIG BUCKS then a just about anything can bite ya. :arrow: NEXT
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

Rone
I too am not a legal expert and am subject to British law not US, but this is my take.

Most people use their machines for business, legally selling their products generated on MS equipment to third party clients. The finished product can contain many graphics, generated effects, etc.

I therefore do not see the difference between selling MS generated wedding material, to that of specifically generated backgrounds. My opinion is of course based on logic, not law.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England