CD/DVD Printers

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Re: CD/DVD Printers

Post by flvideo »

Thanks Bob. I think I'll try some of those. The info on the site says they are impervious to water and scratches. Do they hold up really well? By the way you have a good name. Thanks BOB....
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Post by CasablancaExpert »

Here are two additional sources for purchasing not only the WaterShield media, but all other blank media (these two are sort of like 'keeping it in the family'... they are both connected to Casablanca/Macrosystem) and CAM Audio, Inc. is my website host:

http://camaudio.com/home.htm

http://denverdisc.com/

Both comprised of good folks and great service!

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Thanks Bob and Chet. I called my media distributer and they carry those disc and they offered to give me some to try and see how they worked. They are pricey, 41 cents more each than I use now for distribution, but if they look as good as a photo they'll sell video for me. For my racing video I personalize each one with the drivers picture on the label. That alone sells a lot for me. Bob...
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Post by jimmeeker »

Hello,

You will be amazed at the beauty and shine of the Watershield discs. Please check out Denver Disc's web site and look at their price on the T-Y Watershields.....a very competitive price. David Adame has supported our Casablanca family for years and was one of the first teachers of the Cassie University in Boulder. He is a great guy to know and is very reliable indeed.

David has been a speaker at several of our "March Get Togethers" the National Convention for Casablanca Users everywhere.
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

flvideo wrote:Thanks Bob. I think I'll try some of those. The info on the site says they are impervious to water and scratches. Do they hold up really well? By the way you have a good name. Thanks BOB....
I have used several thousand of the watershield ever since they first came out. Still waiting for the first return. None rejected by the duplicator as being defective. Impresses people even in the Graphics business. Thanks Bob .... Bob
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Hey Bob, That reminds me of a song I used to hear years ago, at the risk of telling my age, Bob Bob a-doo Bob..... I have go to town Monday and get media and I am going to get the Water Sheild disc for sure. They have them for .67 each. Thats a little more than I pay for my distribution media but if its as you guys say it'll be well worth it. I have had a few returns with this other media but the most have been the customers player. I use a Falcon Media Pro disc to master on. They have what they call "UHC" Ultra hard coat. When I first found them, the CEO of the media company I use demonstrated it to me. He took a Disc put in a player and it played fine. He took a piece of steel wool and rubbed it all over the lazer side of that same disc. Then put it in the player and it played just as well as before. That convinced me. I have mastered on nothing else since. They say its impervious to finger prints, water and scratching. I use those also for my TV shows that go to the Phillipines. Like wise I have never had a failure with those. CK I went ot the site you mentioned and I found a lot of stuff. I have to check the prices I have been paying for tape. I have been dealing with this company for over 20 years and they have always treated me good. The owner, who's passed on now, started out in his garage at home. I had many times where I had a night shoot and realized I didn't have enough tape or something and he'd open up and give me what I needed. This company supplys media to most of the broadcast outlets in Florida. They supply all the media needs of Disney in orlando. Good people. Bob...
DarrelCharest
Casablanca Unit: Karat
Bogart 5.5c
Arabesk 6.0a
Most software
Dual edit bay w/Sony 22 HD VGA & Samsung 26 HD Video

Post by DarrelCharest »

Thanks again for your advice regarding CD/DVD printers.

Some ofthe recommended CD/DVD printers are no longer in production, i.e. the Epson 280 and 380, and I could not find the RX595.

After some research my printer of choice was to be the Epson Artisan 700. However Staples did not have it in stock. They did have the HP Photosmart D7560 and I brough it home.

On sale it totaled slightly more than $120 w/tax. It is a great little CD/DVD printer with one major flaw. While watershield DVDs offer superb resolution and color, the pinch rollers in the unit leave vertical streaks on the disc that I find unacceptable.

HP customer service tells me watershield discs are thicker than other DVD media. However, when I lay two Taiyo Yuden discs side by side on a flat surface, one watershield the other an inkjet printable disc, the is NO difference in thickness.

When I asked if I might exchange the unit for another D7560 the answer was NO.

I'm still searching.

Darrel

Where the inspiritation for "American the Beautiful" was born.
DarrelCharest
Casablanca Unit: Karat
Bogart 5.5c
Arabesk 6.0a
Most software
Dual edit bay w/Sony 22 HD VGA & Samsung 26 HD Video

Post by DarrelCharest »

Thanks once again for your advice regarding CD/DVD printers.

Some of the recommended CD/DVD printers are no longer available, i.e. the Epson 280 and 380, and I could not find the RX595 listed anywhere.

After some research my printer of choice was to be the Epson Artisan 700. However, Staples did not have it in stock. They did have the HP Photosmart D7560 and I brought one home.

On Sale it totaled slight more than $120 w/tax. It is a great little CD/DVD printer with one major flaw. The pinch rollers on the unit leave numerous vertical streaks on watershield discs that I find unacceptable.

HP customer service tells me watershield discs are thicker than other DVD media. However, when I lay two Taiyo Yuden discs side by side on a flat surface - one watershield the other an inkjet printable - there is NO difference in thickness.

When I asked if I might exchange the unit for another D7560, the reply was NO..

I'm still looking.

Darrel

Where the inspiritation for "American the Beautiful" was born.
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Hey Darrel, I have an HP Phpto smart printer myself although it prints an accecptable picture, The Epsons print a much better image to my eye. I got some Water Sheilds the other day and the first time I have to print another disc I am going to try them. I just finished printing a job and I didn't want to mix them.
Darrel the Epsons seem to change often with their models. This 380 I have is only probably 4 months old and the 280 is still in the box. I liked the 380 mainly because it has a little screen on the front and I can sit at my desk and see whats going on with it. It also has card readers where I can print, crop and resize from the screen without the PC. That 700 is nice too. I think I got the 280 and the 380 from staples but all the rest of my Epsons I think I got at sams. Bob...
Charles
Casablanca Unit: S6000 Effects 1,2,3,5,7,8 Blue Box World,
Arabesk 6.0a , Bogart 5.5c Disc Transfer 1.2

Post by Charles »

Hi Darrel
The Film Fest discs you have were printed on a Canon ip4200 so you can judge yourself. This site shows how you can enable the US model to print to disc
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/54635

This is another site which appears to be on the ball with more Canon printers listed
http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=105

I’ve tried Epson and found them to be more trouble than they were worth. The only downside with Canon is the cost of the ink here in the UK it’s getting cheaper just to buy a new printer.

HTH
Regards
Charles