Just Wondering?

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Just Wondering?

Post by jimmeeker »

Hello again,

I'm still wondering around on the new forum seeing how it works and am wondering, will any of the archives from the old forum be brought over here?

Will our member's numbers be transferred here from the old one? Or do we just get new numbers here? I am thinking about both the member numbers like mine number 134 on the old site and I was also thinking about the number of posts. It seems a shame to make Tim start over with only one post when he's way up there on the old site.

What will happen with the old site. Will it go on for a certain length of time and then stop and this one take over abruptly or will both sites run side by side for a month or two until the anouncement is made to kill the old one?

Just wondering!
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder
ASHampton
Casablanca Unit: Loaded Dealer unit

Re: Just Wondering?

Post by ASHampton »

I think that the old one wil linger around awhile.

Seth
Seth Hampton
Casablanca Gold Star Dealer
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Post by chetdavis »

Hello Jim,

Some good questions you have provided for discussion here... let me address them, below
jimmeeker wrote:
I'm still wondering around on the new forum seeing how it works and am wondering, will any of the archives from the old forum be brought over here?
Unfortunately Jim there is no discernible method for importing any of the content over to this new forum, at least not automatically. Since the previous Forum application no longer even has a company that supports it we have very little means to access any of that - let alone the fragility of the contents of the previous forum (as you know we cannot search prior to a certain date on that system and cannot access other posts.

The only method that is available at this time to us is for folks to copy and paste over the posts that were most valuable to them as well as we build a new base of knowledge here.

Will our member's numbers be transferred here from the old one? Or do we just get new numbers here? I am thinking about both the member numbers like mine number 134 on the old site and I was also thinking about the number of posts. It seems a shame to make Tim start over with only one post when he's way up there on the old site.
No - none of that member data is transferrable Jim... You have a new number. The number of posts I am afraid is lost as well. I appreciate how that is an honorable distinction but I am certain that those folks who have become an integral, valuable part of our previous online incarnation will stand out again on this new Forum with their gracious & generous posts of assistance.

What will happen with the old site. Will it go on for a certain length of time and then stop and this one take over abruptly or will both sites run side by side for a month or two until the anouncement is made to kill the old one?
[/quote] I plan to keep the previous Forum open for the near future and then 'sunset' it as we rebuild our community here. After a short time I will make the prevoius Forum a read-only situation where folks can still access the information contained there but move them to this new site for posting as I believe that is the best way to being our new home here.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
Vice-President, Marketing & Sales
MacroSystem US
http://www.macrosystem.us
Office 303.801.1056
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Post by jimmeeker »

Thanks Chet,

That gives us a little idea of what the future holds in store for us.

So, everyone, let's make sure that everyone registers with a real name and not just a "handle" to hide behind. Let's try to dig up all the old goodies so that we can rebuild the Archives on this new location.

I'm going to try the image thing again. I still can't get it to work by just placing the url of a image inbetween the two Img buttons on the page. But here goes another try: Image
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

I was never really into the post number game Jim, although I appreciated the kind words regarding my participation over the years, so not having numbers is fine with me.

Losing the archived posts is far more significant, but seeing as how we could not access most of them already it does not surprise me that they are basically gone.

Ah well.

The system does not recognize, nor accept the "space" character and does not explain the reason for the rejection which I believe will frustrate members trying to honor the name suggestion and they will give up and go back to creating a moniker.

So just type your first and last name as one word when creating your registered "name".

That might be worth making a temporary "Sticky" if this system allows such Chet.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
JoeConnell
Casablanca Unit: Classic ~ S4000 - S400Pro

Post by JoeConnell »

jimmeeker wrote:
.....I'm going to try the image thing again. I still can't get it to work by just placing the url of a image inbetween the two Img buttons on the page. But here goes another try: Image
Jim, (and any one else having trouble with BBCode)
The way the Img tag works is you need to click the IMG button above
then your cursor will be placed between the [ img]|[/img ] tags
that is where you type (or paste a copied) link to the image
like... http://www.marchgettogether.com/images/ ... r_199b.jpg

it will show up as... Image

But NOTE: very large images will be cut off because your post only has so much space.

OK... now you ask "How do I get the http://www.yourwebsite.com image link?"
The easy way is when you are on a web site page and see the image you want to show,
point to the image and RIGHT click it, a box will open and select Properties
a box will open and you need to copy the Address URL next to it.
It will be a direct link to the image on that web site to be displayed here on the forum.
Then after you selected the [ img](copied image url goes here)[/img ] paste the copied link between

The URL tag works the same way but it is a link to go to a page on a web site.
Also NOTE: if you want to STAY on the forum page and open the New page in another window
you need to RIGHT click the link and select Open In New Window...
or you will have to REMEMBER to use the BACK button in your browser to return.

FYI
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joe Connell
ccuvideo@gmail.com
A1 Video Professionals
www.A1VideoProfessionals.com
Connell Creations Unlimited
www.ConnellCreationsUnlimited.com
jimmeeker

Post by jimmeeker »

Hello Everyone,

Now with Joe's help, I'm going to try again......Here goes:Image
Hey it does work. Thanks everyone, I've printed out the instructions and the reasons why it has to be done this way, so that this old brain can remember from time to time how to do the pictures in the future.

By the way, for those who are not familiar with faces to go along with the forum member's names.....Tim Kennelly is in the back on the left and Joe Connell, is next to him in the center of this photo from the 2006 March Get Together.

See ya,

Jim
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois