Switching from SD to HDV?

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
chucke
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus with Smart Edit 7.0 & 8.0 and most all software on all drives

Switching from SD to HDV?

Post by chucke »

It’s time I make the switch to HDV; I would like to go to the wide screen format.
I’m still using my Sony VX2000, what a work horse.

My main business is sports video, football and basketball. I’m using a Renommee Plus and a Panasonic 2000 dv deck to input my video.

My biggest problem and the reason for this post is I live in the Midwest (about 50 miles west of St. Louis MO) and I can’t get my hands on this camera to get a feel are take a closer look at what the video looks like (no dealers in the area). I’ve even tried rental houses with no luck.

Several concerns I have with the camera are:

Rolling shutter problem, I’m told it doesn’t like a flash, but what about faster action, is that a problem with the CMOS pick-ups?
Will my Renommee Plus accept the input from the FX1000 if I shoot in HDV? I can’t use my old Panasonic 2000 deck for input.
Can I down convert from HDV to SD using the camera as a playback deck while inputting into my Renommee Plus?
Anyone using this camera for football or other low light situations? From other reviews I’ve read is does pretty well in low light (football fields aren’t the best sometimes).

Several reasons it think I will like the camera:

It seems that the layout is somewhat the same as my vx2000
Has a 20x zoom
Uses the same battery as my vx2000
I know the fx1000 does not have XLR audio inputs but my audio needs are minimal
I can shoot in both HDV and DV
In my price range
From all of the reviews I’ve read from the Sony website and the B&H website they have a positive spin.

I’m looking for your comments good or bad, and if anyone has any suggestions on how to get my hands on this camera, other than buying, let me know.

Thanks
Chuck Eichmeyer
Marthasville MO
vpone@centurytel.net

Renommee Plus w/Smart Edit 7.0 & 8.0
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Re: Switching from SD to HDV?

Post by JBrooks »

Chuck,

The rolling shutter is not that big of a problem as some might suggest, however, if you have the twixter program, it has a great feature for removing the rolling shutter effect. The good still out ways the bad with regards to the new CMOS and rolling shutter issue. I own the high end Sony PMW-EX1 camera which I really like and is fantastic in low light, and the rolling shutter is actually a "cool" effect in a wedding sequence. The Sony FX1000 is also a very good choice.

Joel Brooks
MIT Video
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347