HELP-ROLLING SHUTTER RUINS MY VACATION!!

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

HELP-ROLLING SHUTTER RUINS MY VACATION!!

Post by LouBruno »

I am currently on vacation off the Virginia shore. Today I used my new SONY Z5U to tape/download via attached MCRk1 unit a FAST speedboat race.

The rolling shutter of the background wobbled like a bowl of jelly with a bending of the picture everytime the boats sped up. I was at full focal length.

Not usable and I erased same.

Wide angle is NOT so bad. We are talking REAL fast action here, not a wedding circle-style dance

So, I need someone who actually has experienced this problem with CMOS chips in a fast sports environment. I tried three different shutter settings to no avail. The XHA-1 Canon never did this during fast soccer games, car shows,cycle races or fast moving trains which are my only projects.

I need advice from specific SONY users if there is some secret workaround. I am usually good at this 'stuff' but can't figure this out. :-(
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Re: HELP-ROLLING SHUTTER RUINS MY VACATION!!

Post by flvideo »

Lou I shoot Stock car racing with Sony Pd170's and most of the time I set my shutter to automatic. Other cameras I have used were slow to respond, but the sonys keep up well. Is your camera still or are you panning with the action? When I am taping Sprint cars, very fast, if I hesitate the camera I have a blurr. What is your shutter speed? When they get into lower light some of my cameras don't do well with action shots. My JVC for instance requires a lot of light to get an accecptable picture.
Where in VA are you? I have property in SW Va. Bob....
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Actually, it's not a shutter issue but a CMOS chip issue and how the chip reads fast action and flashing lights such as a DJ and a photo flash. I tried 1/250 and 1/5ooth as well as 60 for shutter speed.

The powerboats took off by the Chesapeake area and much to my dismay, the entire bakcground was wobbly.
BTW: I hate using these small notebooks to type but they are good for travel.

flvideo wrote:Lou I shoot Stock car racing with Sony Pd170's and most of the time I set my shutter to automatic. Other cameras I have used were slow to respond, but the sonys keep up well. Is your camera still or are you panning with the action? When I am taping Sprint cars, very fast, if I hesitate the camera I have a blurr. What is your shutter speed? When they get into lower light some of my cameras don't do well with action shots. My JVC for instance requires a lot of light to get an accecptable picture.
Where in VA are you? I have property in SW Va. Bob....
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

I have one small Sony handicam that I use for B-roll and I think it has the CMOS chips I usually don't use it for subjects passing the lens but rather coming toward it or going away from it. I have got some neat shots from it. I got a crash that happened rightin front of it 3 weeks ago. What a shot. I'll probably sell that to whacked out sports. My little Sony is a year old maybe there are some changes in the chips. Enjoy your vacation. We haven't been able to take a vacation for a few years. I work too much and my wife has 2 dogs and they cost a fortune to board. Bob...
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Post by Alan »

As far as I can tell there is no answer to the rolling shutter problem other than buy another camera. I understand that is what several people have done here in the UK who do action shoots. I would not buy one of these cameras. I do not like nasty surprises, and I think it is more and more difficult to avoid as technology changes so rapidly. A good site to explore is DVinfo net before buying. I will try Google for 'rolling shutter problem'.

Sorry Alan.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Just to be clear Bob, the issue is not fast subject matter, it is fast camera movement (aka: used to follow fast action) that causes the wobbly artifacts.

You can capture a race car or a hummingbird's wing in motion with a CMOS chip cam if you are holding the cam steady.

It is when you start fast panning where you run into trouble.

If you really want to see the wobble just firehose with the cam (of course you should not be doing that anyway LOL), but it accentuates the issue.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

I see what you are lalking about Tim. My CMOS camera is always still. I guess thats why I have never seen this effect. Well come to think of it I used it when I first got it for a in-car camera, but it was mounted solid. It sounds like Sony has an albatros.
LouBruno

SONY FDR-53 4K,

Post by LouBruno »

Absolutely it is the panning of a fast object. Hate to see what our friends in the UK have to put up with following a soccer game.

Here is an internet .jpeg example of a race car. The background appears like putty.

flvideo wrote:I see what you are lalking about Tim. My CMOS camera is always still. I guess thats why I have never seen this effect. Well come to think of it I used it when I first got it for a in-car camera, but it was mounted solid. It sounds like Sony has an albatros.
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Yes I see what you mean Lou. Thats bad. Has Sony addressed this problem? When my bigger Sonys are still and a fast object passes it. It doesn't do well with the lens or focus and is worse in low light. I don't know what chips they have in them but they are good in low light as long as they are panning or your subject is still as in a stand up. Bob...
rone
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire Plus, all software, GL2 and GY HM 700

Post by rone »

Lou,

Trade the cam for a JVC HM700.....see Lou at Al Art Video :D :) :o

Great Store !

Ron