DarrelCharest
Casablanca Unit: Karat
Bogart 5.5c
Arabesk 6.0a
Most software
Dual edit bay w/Sony 22 HD VGA & Samsung 26 HD Video

CD/DVD Printers

Post by DarrelCharest »

For years I've used the Casio CW-50 thermal printer for my DVDs. Although these printers do a good job, they are limited as to what can be placed on the discs.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced printer, thermal or inkjet, that will do a professional job on DVDs. Although nice to have, I don't need one that automatically prints in volume quantities.

The Epson Artisan 700 looks interesting but reviews are mixed. And most of those commenting made little or no mention of the CD/DVD fuction.

My price range - less than $500, but would go higher if need be.

Darrel Charest
Action Video

Where the inspiritation for "American the Beautiful" was born.
Jeanton
Casablanca Unit: Avio/Bogart 4000 Pro Bogart 2.4 Pal with twister,Quadcam,Photo Studio 2,Twixtor

Re: CD/DVD Printers

Post by Jeanton »

Hi Darrel

I have a Canon MP600 and have had it for two years now and had no problems with it. Had an Epson before but it stuffed up that many burned discs that I dumped it. The MP600 is an all in one printer, scanner, copier and has 5 different ink cartridges and has never stuffed up a single disc. The printing quality is excellent - photo quality on printable discs and if you use photo quality paper prints brilliant photos or DVD covers etc. Easy to use disc printing software as well and best of it all the price has halved since I bought it - I saw it on the net for under $200 US. This is my opinion on the printer and would buy a canon again if I needed to.

Below is a link to this printer on the Canon website.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=13800
Jeanton
Jeantons Video Productions
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Post by chetdavis »

Hello Darrel,

There was some dialogue recently on the Cassie Tips List of this very same topic and at least two list members mentioned the Epson Artisan 800 has performed very well for them.

I have been using the affordable (cheap ;) ) Epson PhotoStylus R280 for the past few months with pleasing results for my smaller disk printing runs but have turned over all my quantity (even smaller quantity) print & duplication jobs to a production house. I know very well the need for economizing and took the route to begin. But after spending considerable time, designing, printing and duplicating my own disks I realized that is time I could/need to be spending in teaching & production. The cost to have a professional outfit create my entire tutorial DVD packages is very reasonable and I can focus on the other tasks that keep the bills paid and the lights turned on!

If anyone wishes I will be happy to share with you my vendor of choice for DVD fulfillment but will do so off-list - please send me a direct email chet@chetdavis.com

Regards,
Chet
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

One caution to the Canon mention, due to patent issues Canon models in the USA come WITHOUT the direct to DVD printing capability. :x

Some models can be self modified by buying a part or parts from a third party source.

I do not know if this specific model lends itself to that for the industrious.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

I have been using Epson for about 8 years and I think I paid $89 for the first one and the prints are excellent. I do a fair amount of still work too and I have had good results with the Epsons. I now have an R280 and an R380. They both print directly to the disc and the program that comes with them is very good for designing labels. It allows you to place a background either a picture from your files or export another or you can have a color of your choice as a back ground. I shoot pics at the locations of my shoots for the label. My customers seem to love the personal touch. I did one today and I put the background as black and I used a purple color for the title graphic and 4 pictures grabbed from the production. Man it looked good the black made the pics and the graphics pop. I love doing this kind of thing. Thats why I am in this business. I would never out source that cause I love it. Maybe thats why I don't make as much money as some. Do ya think. The Epsons use 6 ink cartriges and they ain't cheap. I buy a lot of my ink on-line but that isn't epson. I really can't tell the difference. Epson says their ink is archival what ever that means. I have another printer thats good. Its a HP but the colors are not near as vibrant as the epson. I took a still of 5 models in pink tights around a black race car and man did that pink pop. I used high gloss paper and the customer was thrilled. He bought several for his various sponcers. I pay $59.95 for all 6 carts at Sams. If I have to buy at an office supply they are about $80 and they don't sell the 6 cart set any more. I have looked all over and haven't found any cheaper than Sams. For a contrast I pay $79 for 2 of each color and 4 blacks. I hope this helps. I didn't mean to write a book but I get carried away. Bob...
Jeanton
Casablanca Unit: Avio/Bogart 4000 Pro Bogart 2.4 Pal with twister,Quadcam,Photo Studio 2,Twixtor

Post by Jeanton »

Oops didn't know that. :oops: I thought the product number is the same didn't even look at the specs. O well you learn something new everyday.
Jeanton
Jeantons Video Productions
EarniePannebaker
Casablanca Unit: PRESTIGE OS8, 2 AVIODV OS4.1d, 1 AVIO OS4.1c

Post by EarniePannebaker »

Darrel,
I use an Epson Stylus Photo RX595 printer for my DVD's and I'm happy with the look of the DVD's. The watershield DVD's have a nice glossy finish. I just ordered ink from Epson and got the 77 that has more ink in the cartridges The 5 colors were $89.99 and the black was $19.99 and a yellow as it ran out first. This had free shipping even over night. Time will tell if the larger capacty cartridges last longer.
Earnie Pannebaker
DarrelCharest
Casablanca Unit: Karat
Bogart 5.5c
Arabesk 6.0a
Most software
Dual edit bay w/Sony 22 HD VGA & Samsung 26 HD Video

Post by DarrelCharest »

Jeanton, Chet, Tim, Bob and Earnie,

You've given me some good leads and helpful options.

Thanks for the information.

Darrel

Where the inspiritation for "American the Beautiful" was born.
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Earnie, what are these water shield DVD s? I may have use of those at times. Bob...
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

Not Earnie, but these are high quality glossy finish DVD-R blanks. Cost a little more but look very professional.
See here: http://tinyurl.com/m3k6us