external hard drive

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
mrbrown
Casablanca Unit: casablanca prestige, s4000 pro, final cut pro 5,cassie dv, 2 old cassie and 2 sony 2000 camcorder and one canon hf-g10 hd

external hard drive

Post by mrbrown »

i have a prestige and what i like to know is can i hook a external drive to it and upload video into the prestige.
thanks mark
mark r. brown sr.
elizabeth city n.c.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Re: external hard drive

Post by TimKennelly »

No.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
EarniePannebaker
Casablanca Unit: PRESTIGE OS8, 2 AVIODV OS4.1d, 1 AVIO OS4.1c

Post by EarniePannebaker »

Mark,
Sorry Tim you can.
IF you have os8 and have an external drive with a DV out and it is set to FAT32. You can put your video on it an import it into your Prestige. Chech archives on how to set up a drive to FAT32. it was talked about several months ago.
Earnie Pannebaker
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

I switched to Bogart prior to SE8, so perhaps, but . . .

I assume this is firewire drives only as I believe the Prestige only has USB1 ports.

Are you saying you can capture video on an external drive and input this directly to the Prestige from the external drive?

You have personally done this,Earnie?

Tim Kennelly
alex
Casablanca Unit: Avio Pro 4.1D 500gb hardrive,Prestige with OS 9.1. 4-320gb Maxtor drives, Lacie 500 Hardrive, Akaba,3D PIP,Motion Perfect,Arebesk 4, Effect1-8 Most of the software. Studio Pro with Bogart 11.2, Arabesk 7, all software, GoPro 3 Black, Gopro 7 Black, Sony PD170, Sony 2100, Sony CX900 HD Camcorder Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder, Mavic mini 2 drone.

Post by alex »

Mark:
I have a prestige and have been doing this about 1 year I have a Lacie 500Gb and back up all of the work at night just in case crash, also I have some of the animations loaded in the hardrive. I have os7 and can do thruw firewire at FAT 32 formated Drive. Hope this will help if you need more info email me.
Alex
Alex Williams
Videos by Williams
Boynton Beach, Florida
alejanbr@bellsouth.net
http://www.youtube.com/videosbywilliams
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Back up yes, but I don't think that is what Mark asked about.

Can you record video to an external hard drive and access/input that with any Gen2 machine such as the Prestige?

That is news to me if you can, but as mentioned I switched to Bogart prior to SE8.

Tim Kennelly
alex
Casablanca Unit: Avio Pro 4.1D 500gb hardrive,Prestige with OS 9.1. 4-320gb Maxtor drives, Lacie 500 Hardrive, Akaba,3D PIP,Motion Perfect,Arebesk 4, Effect1-8 Most of the software. Studio Pro with Bogart 11.2, Arabesk 7, all software, GoPro 3 Black, Gopro 7 Black, Sony PD170, Sony 2100, Sony CX900 HD Camcorder Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder, Mavic mini 2 drone.

Post by alex »

Tim:
You cant directly record into a external Drive but you can backup storyboard, and restore it back on any of the casablanca 2 Gen. I have recorded animations into the Prestige and back it up on Lacie HD and have loaded back onto the Prestige as I have over 1000 animations of different events including croma backgrounds. This makes it easier to find the animatios.
Alex
Alex Williams
Videos by Williams
Boynton Beach, Florida
alejanbr@bellsouth.net
http://www.youtube.com/videosbywilliams
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Alex,

Yes, I could do that on my Solitaire with at least SE7, but Mark asked if you could import video from an external hard drive into the Prestige which is not the same thing as using a drive in the back up function in my opinion which is why I said No to his question.

Earnie said you could and I was trying to verify if I had missed something new about SE8 or whether Earnie is mistaken.

Tim Kennelly
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

Yes Tim you are correct the answer to the initial question stays "NO". No import of video possible if the source wasn't a Cassie.
The only procedure I know of is to save a project storyboard in project settings and this can be restored from ext. harddrive.
Exception SD-Projects "YES", HD-Projects "NO".
And of course there is the HD-Backup function to save all projects being active when saving.
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Mark,

Would you clarify your original question and tell us what your application is in using an external hard drive? Are you referring to a hard drive that was used with a video camera to record the original footage or an external hard drive used with the Casablanca to back up and archive projects?
Craig Newman