Remote Hard Drive Back-Up

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
JohnKleban
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with SE 7

Remote Hard Drive Back-Up

Post by JohnKleban »

Hi All,

I recently subscribed to Mozy. In the past year and a half, my notebook hard drive died, one of my external drives died and one DVD-R of photos began to go bad (as some images where now appearing with green, blue, and red streaks through them). At any rate, Mozy is an online service provider that allows you to back-up your computer hard drive to their server (or whatever files/folders you want to keep at a secure and remote location).

Cost is $4.95/month for what they call their home plan; I paid in advance for their two year offering, cost $103 or so (3 months free). Everything is secure, stuff gets encrypted before it leaves your computer and goes to their remote site.

Your initial upload will take about a week; Mozy runs slowly in the background, so it doesn't tie up your computer. After your initial upload, only changes you make are uploaded and only take brief periods of time. You can select what to back-up, how often, etc. A colleague of mine turned me on to these guys after he did much research.

Great peace of mind in my opinion. To sign up, it’s simple. Select the home plan, then download their software (very fast); it’s idiot proof and so easy. http://www.Mozy.com
There is also another company offering the same kind of service called Carbonite: http://carbonite.com/

At any rate, just thought I'd share this for anyone who may be unaware such services exist.
Last edited by JohnKleban on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras
PaulBusta
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS, with much software.

Re: Remote Hard Drive Back-Up

Post by PaulBusta »

Thanks for the tip John, I'll have a look see.
Paul Busta

P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS with much software.
Casablanca user since 1997.