S-4000 Pro Connectors.

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
RonaldPawlak
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 5.3 O.S.,Arabesk 5.4c, S4K Pro, most software, not a lot of HD software, Exterrnal USB blu-ray burner, Just purchase (2) XF-100 Canon cameras and one VIXIA HF-S10, HD cameras. (2) Senheisser Wireless Mics.

S-4000 Pro Connectors.

Post by RonaldPawlak »

I seem to be confused (easily done) about what is the best way to hook-up everything to everything else. :cry:
Is it O.K., or better, to hook up the camera fire wire (4 pin to 4 pin) to the front, or the (4 pin to 6 pin) in the back 1394 connector? Or doesn't it make a difference? I know I need a 4 pin to 6 pin connector. :?:

Is it better to use the multi pin DVI connector supplied with the unit, to a high def monitor or T.V.? Or doesn't it matter either? Or should I just hook it up to what gives me the best result, and what type of monitor inputs I have. There are so many inputs and outputs, I wonder what give you the best results. Nice to have all these selections. :P

There are a couple of mini phone jacks on the back and one is designated, mic input jack and the rest are not described.
Is one of them a headphone jack?

That's all I have for now. :lol:
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Re: S-4000 Pro Connectors.

Post by chetdavis »

I seem to be confused (easily done) about what is the best way to hook-up everything to everything else. :cry:
Is it O.K., or better, to hook up the camera fire wire (4 pin to 4 pin) to the front, or the (4 pin to 6 pin) in the back 1394 connector? Or doesn't it make a difference? I know I need a 4 pin to 6 pin connector. :?:
Hello Ron,

I have been using the front DV (firewire connector) for my recordings... you can use either but can only have one live DV signal connected at one time (an either/or situation).
Is it better to use the multi pin DVI connector supplied with the unit, to a high def monitor or T.V.? Or doesn't it matter either? Or should I just hook it up to what gives me the best result, and what type of monitor inputs I have. There are so many inputs and outputs, I wonder what give you the best results. Nice to have all these selections.
You will receive the highest resolution by using the muti-pin connector supplied with your new S-4000 (DVI-HDMI cable)on a monitor capable of displaying the higher 1080 resolution. You are also welcome to continue using a standard video connection (S-video) in either 4:3 or the 16:9 setting or you can use a VGA monitor in a 2 monitor set-up. It is largely preference.
There are a couple of mini phone jacks on the back and one is designated, mic input jack and the rest are not described. Is one of them a headphone jack?
In the front of your S4000 there is a 1/4" headphone jack (at present there is no volume control in the unit, so using a pair of headphones with internal volume controls may be preferred).

The rear mic jack is operable but not yet at optimum volume levels. I continue to feed my microphone signal either from a mixer or thru my camera by taking the audio out (line level/RCA-Phono conectors) and feeding into my S-4000 PRO.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
Vice-President, Marketing & Sales
MacroSystem US
http://www.macrosystem.us
Office 303.801.1056
PaulBusta
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS, with much software.

Post by PaulBusta »

Speaking of DVI to HDMI cables, the one supplied with my Pro was to short so I went to Amazon and got a 16ft Tripp Lite brand for $28, delivered. Not bad ;) :D
Paul Busta

P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS with much software.
Casablanca user since 1997.
RonaldPawlak
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 5.3 O.S.,Arabesk 5.4c, S4K Pro, most software, not a lot of HD software, Exterrnal USB blu-ray burner, Just purchase (2) XF-100 Canon cameras and one VIXIA HF-S10, HD cameras. (2) Senheisser Wireless Mics.

Post by RonaldPawlak »

Thanks Chet and Paul, with your advice and asking a lot of engineering people I use to work with, I've got it all clear now. Ready to hook it all up today and start editing again.
Paul, thanks for the tip on the longer cables, with my set up I don't think the HDMI cable they gave is going to be long enough.
PaulBusta
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS, with much software.

Post by PaulBusta »

Your welcome Ron. Do a search on Amazon for "DVI to HDMI cables" and you'll have plenty to chose from. I suggest getting a little longer then what you've measured you need.
Paul Busta

P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS with much software.
Casablanca user since 1997.