Tape Head Cleaning Question

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
johnneumann
Casablanca Unit: Kron

Tape Head Cleaning Question

Post by johnneumann »

About a year ago, I posted a question about getting tape heads cleaned on old gear. I got a slew of great advice - chief among which was "don't ever clean your own gear". There were lots of funny comments for anyone who cares to read it.

http://forums.macrosystem.com/cgi-bin/u ... 5&t=000607

So oddly, I never did get the gear cleaned. It was a PD150 camcorder, a DSR11 DVCAM VCR, and a TRV81 Hi-8 camcorder. I didn't need the gear that badly at the time and have put off the service until now. All my stuff has been sitting dormant for over a year. Now, I *really* need the stuff to work again.

Per Tim Kennelly's advice, I called a Sony Center in LA and was told the pieces have a "flat rate" for repair. Are you ready for this? $625 to get the heads cleaned on my PD150!!! I laughed out loud and didn't even continue the conversation regarding the rest of the stuff. My notion is that a head cleaning goes for around $100...maybe $150 if it's a well-known professional shop.

Someone recommended Lou Bruno as a repair guy. I do trust the voices on the Macrosystem forum because I've had some seriously good advice come out of you guys in the past.

So the PD150 just needs a cleaning. The DVCAM VCR needs a cleaning, but it's also getting sketchy on sucking the tapes in. I sometimes have to press it in four or five times before the tape will load. My old Sony Hi-8 (TRV81) also needs a head cleaning so I can finally digitize all these old tapes I have sitting on the shelf. (Although I'm also watching for brand new Hi-8 cams on eBay around $100 or so when they come up. That's probably better than getting the old one repaired. And that's also assuming I do find a new Hi-8 cam somewhere for less than the price of cleaning.)

So who can steer me with utmost authority here? I know I'm going to have to ship this stuff, so obviously I want someone who can do it right in one shot. I don't want to find myself saying "it's still not quit right", like I've gotten with local Joes who "kind of" know how to clean a tape head. And while a PD150 and a DVCAM VCR are probably ancient technology by now, they're still my precious gear and I need them taken good care of. I don't want to buy new stuff.

Can I put myself into ya'lls hands and ask where to send this stuff?

All I'm looking for is very competent work at a fair price.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

Warmly,
John Neumann
Lowell
Casablanca Unit: 1 casablanca solitaire most software. liberty plus all software one S4000 pro most software. One S4000 pro all software. 6 panasonic and 2 sony 3ccd cams. running Se9 on solitare and bogart 3.2 on both S4000's.

Re: Tape Head Cleaning Question

Post by Lowell »

Hello John. I would trust Lou Bruno with the gear he will not do you wrong. His email add. is Gocycle@optonline.net He is in New York. I bought a camera from him as many of us have..
Lowell Brockway email: justperfectvideo@sbcglobal.net 330-922-5606
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Just to be clear, I never suggested the LA place. :D ;)
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. I usually don't advertise the fact I sell cameras as an authorized dealer as well as my favorite product. I guess the "CATS OUT OF THE BAG" here. :-)

I really think that it is important to find a local shop. A dormant camera not used for a year can suffer many problems such as leaking caps etc. Sending the camera to our shop is comforting to me but I really think that if there is something up and above a cleaning, the 3,000 miles difference would not be beneficial to the owner if an immediate adjustment on a repair is necessary such as a tweak for tape pitch or error rate adjustments. Chances are that the pinch rollers are dried out as tape contains lubricants as well. DSR-11's are noted for finicky transports.

I did send John a private e-mail. He is smart to get the cameras checked-out.

SOAPBOX TIME:

I am a firm believer of camera maintenance especially in the Special Event market. To lose a good shot to a headclog due to never cleaning the heads on the camera results in much explaining to the client. I have seen black bands across an entire wedding.....no audio or audio dropouts..................blank video with sound.................all to save a few dollars and not clean a camera professionally.
johnneumann

Post by johnneumann »

Hey Lou,

I welcome you...WELCOME you, I do...to Google "Sacramento Camcorder Repair" and see what you come up with.

I am NOT impressed with the camcorder repair scene in my city.

If there is a Lou Bruno quality shop within 50 miles of Folsom, CA.....they're definitely flying under the radar.

So far I've had you and a Sony repair facility (flat fee...$625 regardless of what's wrong with the camara) as recommendations.

Now Lou's suggesting that I need to stay local so as to have an ongoing conversation if the long dormant months have taken a hidden toll on my gear.

Any other recommendations?

Class? Bueller? Anyone?

-John
johnneumann

Post by johnneumann »

By the way, I spoke with Art at Lou Bruno's shop this morning. He seems like a good guy.

But I definitely don't recommend talking to hard core New Yorkers until at least 11am Pacific Time.

That guy's a walkin' cup of double espresso. :shock:

I'll be sending off my gear to Al-Art tomorrow.

Thanks to all of ya'll who recommended him. Recommendations from guys of your caliber (you know who you are) are worth money.

And thanks too to Tim Kennelly for recommending the Sony service center. $625 for a head cleaning! I haven't laughed that hard since I rented Robin Williams on Broadway! :D :D :D

John: (in hysterics on the phone with Sony)..."Be honest does anyone...ANYONE on the planet ANYWHERE...send you guys a camcorder and pays $625 for a head cleaning?

Sony Rep: (not amused, completely matter of fact)..."Oh yeah. All the time."
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

John,

He must have seen you coming.

I sent in my cam after dropping it and among other things it would no longer eject tape and it had a flat $511.00 charge.

Not cheap, but far cheaper than buying a new cam.

The Sony Repair Center is in Lorado, TX for me, but then like I said, a charge of $625 for a headcleaning, must be a California thing and they apparently saw you coming.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Nice talking to you today. ART also enjoyed TAWKING to you as well from NEW YAWK.

ART doesn't start the EXPRESSO routine until 1 PM. He was actually CALM when you spoke to him. However, he is good for four cups a day and gets to bed at 2:00 AM. LOL!!!!

johnneumann wrote:By the way, I spoke with Art at Lou Bruno's shop this morning. He seems like a good guy.

But I definitely don't recommend talking to hard core New Yorkers until at least 11am Pacific Time.

That guy's a walkin' cup of double espresso. :shock:

I'll be sending off my gear to Al-Art tomorrow.

Thanks to all of ya'll who recommended him. Recommendations from guys of your caliber (you know who you are) are worth money.

And thanks too to Tim Kennelly for recommending the Sony service center. $625 for a head cleaning! I haven't laughed that hard since I rented Robin Williams on Broadway! :D :D :D

John: (in hysterics on the phone with Sony)..."Be honest does anyone...ANYONE on the planet ANYWHERE...send you guys a camcorder and pays $625 for a head cleaning?

Sony Rep: (not amused, completely matter of fact)..."Oh yeah. All the time."
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

Hey John, About the 8mm camera thing. Go for a digital 8 camera. They're backward compatible, transfer from analog to digital, and fantastic cameras for the money. If you need burned-in time code for anything, they will supply it with digital quality. Just my deflated $.02 worth that will buy about a drop of gas. :(