35mm slide copier.

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
RonaldPawlak
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 5.3 O.S.,Arabesk 5.4c, S4K Pro, most software, not a lot of HD software, Exterrnal USB blu-ray burner, Just purchase (2) XF-100 Canon cameras and one VIXIA HF-S10, HD cameras. (2) Senheisser Wireless Mics.

35mm slide copier.

Post by RonaldPawlak »

I have a fussy Client that wants me to copy about 600 slide of his daughter to give to her for Christmas and a copy for themselves. I done it once and he said they don't look good at all.
Is there some kind of device that copies slides digitally to be put on the S-4K Pro editor and burn to a DVD? I shot them with a real good digital still camera and put them on a compact flash card to install in the editor.
I don't have the facilities to scan them with my printer to the computer. There must be some sort of a device to insert the slide and copy it directly to the editor. I know I can use my digital video camera, but that will be my last resort.
I'm ready to return his money and just forget the whole thing. But I know there is a opportunity to get more job through him. Any help will be appreciated. :lol:
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: 35mm slide copier.

Post by CKNewman »

Dedicated slide scanners can be kind of pricey. There are more moderately priced scanners, like the Epson 4490 Photo that can scan photos and have slide holders so that more than one slide can be scanned at one time. At this time I don't believe that you can interface a scanner directly to a Casablanca, so you'd scan to a PC or Mac, then copy the images to a card, USB stick, etc. to bring them into your Casablanca.

In addition, some scanners include software that can clean up and restore images that have been scratched and faded. In the Epson line this software is referred to as "ICE". I think the that the nicer the scanner, the more features the bundled software will have.

I'm sure there are others here that can contribute their experience with scanning slides.
Craig Newman
BobC
Casablanca Unit: Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7

Post by BobC »

I bought a little one at WalMart this week for $80. It does slides and film negatives. It's not too bad, and a good bit quicker than my large HP scanner.
Bob Claxton
Heritage Video

Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7
KeithWiggers
Casablanca Unit: Avio & Solitaire, most software, OS8.1, Arabesk 4

Post by KeithWiggers »

Ron,

I have a Nikon 5000 ED slide scanner with a feeder tray. It will scan 50 + slides per hour and does a pretty good job (I have scanned about 10,000 slides with it). Depending on the age and quality of the slide, you may still want to do some post scan tweaking. They are good scanners, but expensive. I rent mine out to friends who want to digitize all of their old slides. (That hasn't been paid for it yet, but the rent has helped offset the original cost). I recently learned that several members of the local camera club have one. So you might ask around amongst your local photographers if they know of anyone who has one and would be willing to scan the slides for you. Good luck. Scanning takes a lot of time.

I usually use a PC program to work with the digitized images, but have transferred them to the Solitaire via a memory card with a card reader and a USB memory stick.

Keith
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Bob, what scanner did you purchase? What resolution is your slide scanner capable of? Did it come with bundled software?
Craig Newman
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Post by JPaul »

I used the Epson v500 which sells for around $200. Has slide holders and mode for negatives/slides. I felt it did a very good job.
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

I use the Plustek Optic Film 7500i Al scanner with best results.
It scans slides or negative negative film stripes and comes with the Silver Fast scan software.
http://www.plustek.com/usa/product/7500i_ai.asp
Last edited by HansJoachimKoenig on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
BobC
Casablanca Unit: Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7

Post by BobC »

Craig, Ronald and others,

The unit I got is this http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp

Funny, I didn't see it on the Wal-Mart web site, but this is the product.
Bob Claxton
Heritage Video

Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7
RonaldPawlak
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 5.3 O.S.,Arabesk 5.4c, S4K Pro, most software, not a lot of HD software, Exterrnal USB blu-ray burner, Just purchase (2) XF-100 Canon cameras and one VIXIA HF-S10, HD cameras. (2) Senheisser Wireless Mics.

Post by RonaldPawlak »

Been lost in the Nothern woods for a couple of days, chasing deer. That's why I didnt reply.Thanks for all the help guys, as always you came through.
This was a big help. Now all I have to do is decide what I want to do. Will visit both site mentions. I would rather do the duplicator method than the was I was doing it.