3 CCD versus 1 CCD

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
DerekLegg
Casablanca Unit: Avio DV, Pro Pack, Smart Edit 4.1d, Photo Transfer, Photo Studio 2, 80 Gig HD.

3 CCD versus 1 CCD

Post by DerekLegg »

Can somebody please enlighten me. If video shot on a 3 CCD camcorder is played back on a single CCD camcorder does it degrade the quality of the footage?
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Re: 3 CCD versus 1 CCD

Post by JPaul »

No, it shouldn't because the playback just reads/processes the digital encoding. I'm assuming a clean read, good tracking of course.
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
BobNaughton
Casablanca Unit: Smart Edit 8 Prestige Plus 256MB, Bluebox World, PIP Studio,Disk Transfer, QuadCam, Motion Perfect, Motion 3D, Photo Studio2, Photo Transfer, Audio Effects Pkg, Magic Lights, Filter Pack,Arabesk 4,That's about it. I generally use a 2 monitor setup.

Shoot with 2 Sony VX2000's, and also a VX2100.

Post by BobNaughton »

Derek, for my 2 cents worth, I would agree with Paul in the previous post. A 3 CCD chip camera would get a better image due to it being a 3CCD chips as well as most likely having a better optical lens. Once the camera has processsed that optical image and turned it into its little digital bits, a regular 1 CCD ought to be able to download that superior digital image into your unit without degrading the quality.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

The 3 and 1 CCD chip portion is strictly for acquisition (taking the shot) and has nothing inherent to do with playback.

That said, the 3 chippers are usually higher quality cams and so are likely to have higher quality parts (heads, etc) than the 1 chippers, but it is very unlikely with the multiple error correction circuitry in both types of cams to make a difference in digital playback which is what you would be doing either way.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
DerekLegg
Casablanca Unit: Avio DV, Pro Pack, Smart Edit 4.1d, Photo Transfer, Photo Studio 2, 80 Gig HD.

Post by DerekLegg »

My thanks to you all for the answers. What a great place this bulletin board is. The reason I asked the question is that having recently aquired a 3 CCD camcorder I can now use my previous camcorder to rewind and transfer footage, thus saving wear on the new camera.
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Post by JPaul »

It's smart to use the cheaper cam for what you describe and should work well. If you do notice dropouts, then you may have to use the cam that took the footage to download. Otherwise, you should be good to go!
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
Beachy
Casablanca Unit: Avio/DVD. Ver.9.1 candy factory, DVD Arabesk V4.1. Effects packs 5 6 7 8 particle magic,Pip-studio V1.0 and a Very, very old reliable, Avio 3.6c.
Cameras.CannonXL1, Sony DCR-TVR950E, Sony DSR-PD150P

Post by Beachy »

Just a mention about using "Old Gear" I have used my old Semi Pro SVHS camera straight into the Avio and had wonderful results! I have only done this at school plays etc but the pictures were great, much better than if I had used a SVHS tape...and its only a one chip camera..albeit a S VHS.. but good enough for a third camera at the back of the Hall...B
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Post by chetdavis »

Also, want to throw in the thought or consideration that there is a difference in performance between CCD and the newer CMOS chips. Both of these are the solid state imaging devices in contemporary camcorders. There are certainly plenty of articles and citations on the 'net as well as personal recommendatins from members on this Forum for those who wish to know more about this -- but I can say the perfomance of my single chip CMOS HDV camera totally blows my (old, trusty, beloeved) 3-chip TRV-900 out of the water -- _but_ that is only said in good lighting situations.

So - perhaps for those consideing a new camcorder - this thread could read: 3 imaging devices vs 1 and CMOS vs CCD.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
Vice-President, Marketing & Sales
MacroSystem US
http://www.macrosystem.us
Office 303.801.1056
Beachy
Casablanca Unit: Avio/DVD. Ver.9.1 candy factory, DVD Arabesk V4.1. Effects packs 5 6 7 8 particle magic,Pip-studio V1.0 and a Very, very old reliable, Avio 3.6c.
Cameras.CannonXL1, Sony DCR-TVR950E, Sony DSR-PD150P

Post by Beachy »

Chet, What does CMOS stand for? And are CMOS Chips better than
English, Fish'n'Chips :D John
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Post by chetdavis »

Beachy,

Since you asked CMOS = Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor. (honestly I had to look that one up)... although I did/do know that CCD=Charge Coupled Device. Now that bit of knowledge and a buck will get you a cup of coffee somewhere :D

By the way, neither CCD or CMOS is better than English Fish n' Chips!

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
Vice-President, Marketing & Sales
MacroSystem US
http://www.macrosystem.us
Office 303.801.1056