Samsung Blu-Ray Warning

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
kevinmartin
Casablanca Unit: Karot,Gold addition, Avio, Kron, 3 Sony fx-1s, 3 Canon Mark 3s, a wife and a cat.

Samsung Blu-Ray Warning

Post by kevinmartin »

I've just had a bad and sad surprise. :shock: :cry: I just bought a brand new Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray Disc Player and discovered it will not play our DVD-R's created in Arabesk, whether I use Taiyo-Yuden, Memorex, or TDK. At least the commercial I saw before purchasing the unit said that it will play DVD-R's, but when you get the owner's manual,it states that there are some DVD-R's that it won't play. So, surprise! I'm sure it will play blu-ray discs just fine. It does play regular DVD's and some DVD-R's. If you want to play back your DVD-R's created in Arabesk DO NOT buy a Samsung BD-P1400. The manual also says that it doesn't play BD-R's. I know Samsung makes some pretty good stuff, especially their TV's, but this is the third disc player I have owned and I have had problems with the others also. So for those of us who use Arabesk, be aware of this problem. :geek: Thanks, Kevin Martin
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Re: Samsung Blu-Ray Warning

Post by JPaul »

On the other hand, my Panasonic DMP-BD30 plays Arabesk burned disks just fine. :)
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
kevinmartin
Casablanca Unit: Karot,Gold addition, Avio, Kron, 3 Sony fx-1s, 3 Canon Mark 3s, a wife and a cat.

Post by kevinmartin »

Thats good to hear. I think I will try to sell this one and maby go for a panasonic.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

My PANASONIC DMP-BD10 plays ARABESK.

HOWEVER: It wouldn't play a BD-R in AVCHD even with the firmware upgrade. My friend used something called TOAST to burn the disk.

IT played the BD-R on a SONY 300 and 301 plus PS3. Stuttered on the SAMSUNG.
JPaul wrote:On the other hand, my Panasonic DMP-BD30 plays Arabesk burned disks just fine. :)
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

The trick is "Try before buy". I alwasy took along an Arabesk burned DVD before buying a player.
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
rocker
Casablanca Unit: prestige

Post by rocker »

I always take a DVD made on my Cassie to play,

John Kay
JohnKleban
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with SE 7

Post by JohnKleban »

I spent a bit of time looking into picking up a blu-ray player (although I passed for now); not so much for use with movies I'd buy, but for those we'd rent via Netflix. At any rate, based upon their fast loading time, WiFi updating ability and the fact that it would double as a game unit, I almost purchased a Sony Playstation 3.

Based on my current experience with Sony and their DVD players, I've never had any issues with them playing discs created via Arabesk; so, I'd tend to conclude that the PS3 would play them just fine - if anything, as others have just mentioned, one could take a newly created disc into a local Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. and just test it out on whatever brand you were looking at. For the $399 price point (which all blu-ray players seem to hover at now), one would be getting a highly reviewed blu-ray player in its own right, plus a gaming system to boot with a PS3.
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Kevin,

I wouldn't be so sure it will even play BDs consistently and definitely will probably have issues with BD-Rs.

The BluRay player is in it's infancy as far as I am concerned which means high price and low ability and compatibility.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly