Is it time to replace my machine?

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Is it time to replace my machine?

Post by Christopher6206 »

Hello, my S-4000 pro I bought in 2009. SO it's roughly 6 years old, a demo unit I believe. It has served me well but it has started to crash all the time. I did a full re install earlier this month because it was starting to have problems, inserting short clips from one clip into another from another project. Clearly the drive had started to fragment. So I did the full re install and though it was crashing a lot before that, it seems to crash now doing ordinary things like:

Importing an audio clip through RCA inputs
Playing back HD storyboard that was rendered months ago and restored with HD backup
Trying to restore a storyboard in Projects window that was SD and 8 seconds long (Took 20 minutes then froze at 96%)
Rendering a simple title
Importing SD or HD footage from a USB stick (importing with MM usually works)
Rendering audio
Importing VHS footage through fire wire input (Analogue to digital convert)
And various other usually simple things that Casablanca machines have been able to do for years if not decades

So is it my hardware that is causing the problem? Do I need a new machine or at least maintenance on the s4000pro I have? I still have a Solitaire that is 3 years older and it is chugging along like a champ. After every crash the machine boots up fine and I can continue working. Thanks.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Is it time to replace my machine?

Post by BobFoster »

You will see a significant improvement going to a Karat no matter how old or the condition of any S4000 Pro. Just my opinion.
Bob F., GVP
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Dump the S40000 and don't look back. Not even supported for parts. Eventually will be a boat anchor or doorstop.

Ask Gary for another unit or wait for B4W.
Montanamartin
Casablanca Unit: Karat/Avio/Kron, 3 Sony FX-1s, Boss 8 track recorder, Tascam dr-07,sennh. wireless mic.,Rode shotgun mic, dog and cat

Post by Montanamartin »

I took the plunge and now I,m glad I did.
Kevin
Kevin Martin
Mountain View Productions
Kalispell Montana
www mtviewmontana.com
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Few more Karats left. Get them now.