Ripping DVDs

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Ripping DVDs

Post by BobFoster »

At seminars, I use a JVC medical DVD recorder to backup the video recorded directly onto my Karat. My associate records to DV tape and uses a JVC medical DVD recorder as a backup.
It is much faster to rip a dvd than it is to input a DV tape in real time when I edit his recorded seminars. I have tried using Ksebara to import the JVC DVD content. The video imports fine, but no audio. I have tried importing the JVC DVDs using the USB record feature. This work fine on DVDs less than 30 minutes. (never the length of a seminar session) but on longer DVDs, only the first 20 - 30 minutes imports. The rest of the VOB files will record a single frame for about every 5 minutes.
Is there a way to rip non Casablanca recorded DVDs and import them into a Karat? I also have a Mac Book Pro and PC computers to assist if necessary. These days ripping a non-protected, legal DVD should be a standard editing operating procedure.
Thanks
Bob Foster GVP
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Re: Ripping DVDs

Post by Christopher6206 »

I had never tried importing.VOB with the USB function. But I just tried it with and old home movie and it imported a 6 min and a 30 min clip. This DVD was made 9 years ago on a DVD burner. Both imported with full video and audio, basically matched up. But it imported in 4:3 in a 16X9 project. A quick fix. Maybe your colleague's DVD burner is the problem? Every brand can have its quirks.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

Thanks for your response. As I mentioned, I don't have a problem with short videos. It is usually when the total video is over 40 minutes. My associate's JVC medical DVD recorder is the same model as mine. He purchased it new with 10 min. on the hour meter. I have the same problem with long videos on both JVC DVD recorders. Actually any non Arabesk DVD recorder.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

It's my understanding that .VOB files have a maximum size. Around 30 minutes. SO a 2 hour DVD would have 4 .VOB files on it. I thought the 30 minute clip I imported would have been the longest/largest .VOB clip I could import. Which is why I did a short and a long clip. I didn't try using Ksebera. I'll check that out too.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705