my lament

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
videojim
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S6000, with 4.1G Bogart.

my lament

Post by videojim »

I appreciate the enormous capacity, and creative ability of this great Casablanca line, but I see one great limitation and DON'T see Jeorg Sprava et al, doing ANYthing about! It is nearly impossible to record video and sound on separate systems, and sync them over a production of greater than 5 minutes. I know of 2 producers in our midst who manage to do this, but the process they use mystifies me. This is not to insult them in the least, I just can't see how it works. One big reason the production world is NOT giving a lot of attention to the whole line, why its user universe is NOT growing as much as it could, is sound-picture sync. I have a great use for the S6K because I believe in visual primacy. In my 5 minute videos on missions and missionaries, I use talking heads very sparingly, so sound on card works. There's enough quality in the recording to make it work. Even using I cams and Filmic Pro, I can put the sound in the Iphone, and it works well.
But the fact remains, as long as MacroMoition ignores longer length sync issues, and doesn't make it easy to capture and hold sync on longer shows, the whole Casablanca line will be left on the shelf as a serious postproduction choice. True, it is far easier to learn and use than its more famous competitors, but I am going no further than my S6K with this line, and that is the sole reason. Fix the sync issues, Mr.Sprava!
Skype ID-talkingrock756
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: my lament

Post by CKNewman »

It's not clear to me if you're bringing in the audio from the camera or a separate audio recorder. You may be able to record audio out the camera's analog audio out jacks, or perhaps its headphone jack, to your S-6000 editor's analog audio jacks in a separate pass and sync them up.

Several years ago I recorded audio of a talk for over an hour with an inexpensive Sony MP3 recorder to be synced up later with video of that talk. (My wireless mic operated in a frequency that had been re-allocated by the FCC) I loaded the audio into my PC via the recorder's USB interface and burned an audio CD in the computer. I loaded the audio into my editor via that CD and found it did not sync. A buddy of mine told me that he found that coming out of his MP3 recorder's headphone jack into his editor worked perfectly, so I tried it and found it worked pretty well.

I do agree with you that it would be great if this issue was addressed by Macro Motion.

Jorg hasn't been with the company for two years, since Macro Motion bought the Casablanca line from Loewe.
Craig Newman