Down Converting from HDV to SD

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
CliffHawkins
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 Pro
Solitaire SE 8.0

Down Converting from HDV to SD

Post by CliffHawkins »

I have a Canon XH-A1 and have never tried to downconvert into my Solitaire. I tried this morning and it would not work. On the A1 I turned the Downconvert to on. I set my project to 16:9 anamorphic (sp?). The HDV\DV and Channel 1&2 icons keep flashing on the A1 and I get no response from the Solitaire to the A1. I am able to dowlaod to HDV in my Solitaire with no problems.

Anybody have any thoughts? Hey Lou what do you think?
Cliff Hawkins

S-4000 Pro Bogart 4.1c
Solitaire SE 8
Cannon XH-A1
Canon GL-1
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Re: Down Converting from HDV to SD

Post by TimKennelly »

Cliff,

Most cams have to be turned off and then back on to make the mode change take effect.

Try turning the cam off, then back on and try the input again.

I believe the Canon uses a less than intrinsically obvious methodology of settings in this process, but you are right, Lou as a practicing owner of both an XH-A1 and Solitaire is the one to answer this specifically.

I do know it works so you just have a setting or some such wrong.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Greetings Mr Hawkins,

The XHA-1 is probably the easiest menu driven downconvert from HDV>SD of all cameras on the market. Easier than the HV20/30 and SONY HDV cameras.

Most downconvert errors occur when the user fails to designate the project to SD and also adjusts the camera menu while the firewire is active and attached to the editing system.

I just downloaded HDV>DV in a SD project as a test. It is very important to change the menu only when the firewire is detached.

Everything should be powered off and the firewire detached when executing menu changes in the XHA-1.

For the XHA-1:

PLAY MODE FIRST

VCR MENU

SIGNAL SETUP>HD DOWNCONVERT

then

LETTERBOX>OFF

Turn the camera OFF.

NOW.....plug in the firewire. Placing the firewire in the unit negates the conversion process.

If you are still having a problem replace your 1394 cable with anothe firewire cable as to eliminate the possibility of a bad cable.

Best of Luck
CliffHawkins
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 Pro
Solitaire SE 8.0

Post by CliffHawkins »

Guilty, guilty, guilty.

Firewire was attached. I will try again tommorow to see if I can get it to work.

Thank you Tim and Lou for your responses.
Cliff Hawkins

S-4000 Pro Bogart 4.1c
Solitaire SE 8
Cannon XH-A1
Canon GL-1