video promos

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
arcticfox
Casablanca Unit: casablanca prestige smartedit 9

video promos

Post by arcticfox »

Has anybody filmed a musical band or group for a video promo and taken various ie 1 main shot plus 5 0r 6 other different scene shots and syncronised them together with the sound or the sound with the film clips and edited them in the smart edit 9 program on the Casablanca Smart edit Prestige.??Is it very easy and if so how is this done .?? would be greatful if some could let me know as I can't find any of chets tutorials on the net?
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Re: video promos

Post by flvideo »

Artic, I have done those several times but the only way I have done it was to shoot the other scenes with a 2nd camera andedit those b-roll scenes in with time code. I suppose you could shot the same group doing the same song with the one camera but I'd think that would be more difficult to edit.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

I have not done a band. I have done a multicamera meeting. I think the answer is to use the optional program "Quadcam".
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

As Bob says Quadcam is the best option, with more than a two camera shoot, but the following describes the two cam editing process, which with careful planning can be adopted for more than two cams. Having said this, whilst I still prefer this method for two cam editing, more than two is not for the faint hearted.

Ian

B6 Insert editing with sync of audio (Two Cam Shoot)

This procedure describes how, when quad cam is not available, using two cameras taking the same scene from different angles, the view can be switched between the scenes using the sound track from one scene only and the audio synchronized to both scenes. This is achieved using the insert editing function.

This demonstration uses a two camera shoot, A/B editing, but it can be used with three or more camera shots, however, it does become more complicated with more than two cameras. To edit this way, both cameras will need to be running continuously, although not necessarily starting or finishing together, but both scenes will eventually end up the same length.

With this method find a common frame accurate starting point to the two scenes either via the video (such as a flash) or the audio (such as a sharp sound, say something like a clap or cough.). Using Trim find the common sync or reference point that can be seen or heard on both views. It doesn't have to be the starting point, just the same event common to both scenes. A clapper board would be the ideal tool for a common sync point (reference point).

It’s not essential, but Cam A which will be the main scene should be started first and stopped last, therefore this will be the longer of the two scenes.

Starting with Cam B, which could be the shorter of the two scenes, using “Trim” “Start”, scroll up to the reference point. Now using the trim “Out” scroll all the way back as far as it will go, so there will now be just one frame of the common reference point.

Again using the “Trim” “Start” scroll back to the point where the video clip is going to start and note the time length of the clip, which will be the time from the new start of the scene to the reference point. Now again using the “Trim” “Finish” scroll forwards to the point where the video clip will finish and make a note of the exact total scene time. It needs to be accurate to the frame.

Now with the clip from cam A, using “Trim” run the “start” slider to the same common reference point and again using “Trim” “Finish” scroll back as far as it will go, so again there is one frame of the common sync point.

Still using trim, select “Start”, scroll back the to same time period that was noted on cam B and again using “Trim” “Finish” scroll forward until the total scene length is the same as cam B

Now there should be two scenes A & B which are the exact same length and are both accurately synchronized with each other, but looking from different angles. Both cameras don’t need to be static. One or both can be moving, but both must be continuous.

Decide which of the two scenes will become the base scene, cam A in our case, and it is the audio from this scene that will be heard in the finished scene. Now place that base scene in the story board.

For this exercise the first view of the final scene will be cam A, so “Add” this scene to the story board.. Now highlight scene B in the scene bin and select “Split” – “Split Position” and scroll to the point where the view will first switch to cam B, left click and click “Use”. Again click “Split Position” and scroll to the point where the view goes back to cam A, left click and click “Use”. It is important that at each switch point the “Use” button is pressed and not the “Drop”.

Using this process keep splitting scene B at the appropriate in and out points, but it is essential that the split process is continued to the very end and that the “Use” is always selected and never the “Drop”. If this has been done correctly there should be the original second cam B scene in the scene bin, followed by all the splits of this scene.

Now with scene A selected in the story board, from the scene bin select the first of the splits from cam B and use the Insert” button to insert this B scene into scene A. Since it needs to be at the very beginning of scene A, no position or trim is necessary, just right click to come out of insert. What will now be in the story board is the first insert from cam B, followed by the remainder of scene A. Select this remainder and also the second cam B split in the scene bin and repeat the insert process. Keep repeating the process using all the cam B splits.

Scene A should now be completely covered by all the scene B splits. If it has been done correctly there will be no scene B clips unused and there will be no scene A clips left to cover on the story board.

Now from the story board, select the first cam B scene that is not required, in this case the first cam B insert and click remove. This will now reveal the cam A scene below. Repeat this for all the cam B scenes not required, in this case the 3rd, 5th, etc. In other words if it has been planned correctly, these should be all the alternate scenes from scene B, either all the odd or all the even, depending which will be the first view.

Again if this has been done correctly, there should now be a sequence of video, switching from one view to the other, all perfectly synchronized to the audio from scene A, that is camera A. If required transitions can be made between the inserted sections and the base scene.
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
Jeanton
Casablanca Unit: Avio/Bogart 4000 Pro Bogart 2.4 Pal with twister,Quadcam,Photo Studio 2,Twixtor

Post by Jeanton »

Quadcam is definitely your best and easiest bet.Brilliant program you can tape up to 4 cameras
at ones and when editing it can be as quick as 30 mins if you plan it right and practice.
Do a search on this forum site on Quadcam and you find a lot of hints and tips to do it right.
Also watch one of the demo video's available on Chet's site or the Marco systems site.
I have been using this program for years ( filming ceremonies for weddings) and I
thinks it is well worth the cost of it.

Good luck and please try some test it first before you do a paying job.
Jeanton
Jeantons Video Productions
arcticfox
Casablanca Unit: casablanca prestige smartedit 9

Post by arcticfox »

Hi all you Guy's .
Many thanks for the suggestions and tips I have received especially from Ian Pearson.As I am aware that this sort of video is not a standard issue,it is more for the "professional" with a lot of sophisticated equipment than the budding enthusiast.
This I hope ,to try out, as I have been asked to do this for someone but until you do it you will not know how difficuly it will be.!!So with that help I have received I will endeavour to have a go.I will also have a look on the subject of Quad Cam software too. ;) if this is a tutorial on the actual full editing using one camera without the Quad Cam ,I would love to watch it.May thinks that won't happen though!?Great so far.and thankyou once again.