Questions about used Avio 1.6

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: Questions about used Avio 1.6

Post by CKNewman »

Put camera in record mode, hit the record button on the camera
You probably need to put your camera into its VCR mode and then press the correct buttons on the camera to record signals coming in via the camera's inputs. The camera should be off when connecting or disconnecting firewire. I don't know anything about your camera, but you may have to manually select the firewire or DV input. This should be in the camera owners manual.
Craig Newman
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Re: Questions about used Avio 1.6

Post by TimKennelly »

That it is recording the live cam image means the firewire port is working, but you have the camera in camera mode instead of VCR mode. That would be a camera menu setting you need to find/set/switch. The Avio will normally control the cam and turn on the record function so you shouldn't have to do that manually when transferring either direction via firewire. There is a second or so lag so I would recommend getting in the habit of adding a couple of second Black scene at the beginning and end of all Storyboards you create. If your laptop has an external express card port (most do) you could try purchasing a firewire express card such as this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-NA-_-NA for the purpose of firewire transfer to your cam or actually directly from the laptop to the Avio. Again, as I cautioned in an earlier post do NOT connect a firewire cable between the Avio and anything with the Avio and the other side powered up or you can blow the DV board in both units. In the Avio it used to be a $600 repair and I don't even know if repairs are possible any longer as I think they have run out of replacement DV boards for such an old unit.

Having the dealer increase your ram to 256 and adding the large drive software (optional, extra cost software) you can use up to at least a 300GB hard drive in the unit as that was the largest I was using prior to selling it.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly