Audio/Video Sync Issues when Burning DVDs

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Audio/Video Sync Issues when Burning DVDs

Post by Rte80west »

This issue has been a problem for quite awhile and frankly, it's getting very old and has prompted me to consider other editing alternatives.

Specifically, the issue I run into is this in a nutshell: I add music or sound clips into the Audio Mix storyboard to replace the audio track of the video clip(s) that are present. Quite often, with videos I create, it is imperative that the audio clip(s) mesh perfectly with the video (as is the case with say a music video of someone miming lyrics). I always ensure 100% syncing on the storyboard and as many of you know, it's difficult enough to do this right. I then export to miniDV where I archive stuff.

Which leads me to question 1: when the stuff is exported it often seems like there is a sync issue between audio/video. However, when I play back on cam it looks OK. I then often load it back to my S4000 and it seems OK. So I'm thinking this is OK even though it appears there is an offset when going to tape.

Now, once everything plays as I want it in the storyboard, I burn to DVD and ONCE IN AWHILE with DVD-R and ALWAYS with BD-R, there are sync issues. Let me be more specific: in the case of a video segment where it is imperative that audio clip(s) line up right, there is an ever so slight offset (video is a split second behind the audio). This is the case if I burn from a storyboard with music clips in place OR if I have already created a scene from that storyboard (so the video and adjusted audio has been merged into one clip) OR if I have exported to tape and loaded back in again. Which ever of the three ways I prepare the sample I run into the same issue. Again, this is only with footage where I have created a new audio soundtrack. If I simply load up a video clip and burn that with the native audio, there is no sync issue. Further, if I create a disc where SOME of the material has native audio and some does not, then the native stuff is OK while there is an offset on the other material. A separate aside: if I use a black scene as a spacer between video segmenst (for purposes of chapter breaks), I get a ~ 1 second early termination of the audio clip from the prior scene (regardless of native audio or not) and then a sync issue when leading into the next scene (audio comes in early and remains screwed up). I have to pause and then play again to sync up (unless there is an overriding sync issue as previously described). Confused? Me too.

I am frustrated beyond belief trying to solve this. I have to have assurance that there is a foolproof way to preserve exactly what I am viewing on the storyboard to disc. Far more issues with Blu Ray as opposed to DVD which i wont delve into yet because I dont want to overcomplicate things. Probably the most frustrating part of this is trying to troubleshoot w/o behind hands on- whetehr it be here in the forums, phone support or whatever - its not the same as having someone actually sit down with you and see what you're seeing. Just articulating the problem properly and pinpointing exactly what is going on is tough. And I am not a new user, I have used Macrosystems products for over a decade.

Any input welcomed.

Frustrating.
methuenbill
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Studio Pro (unable to use with latest software) The old reliable S6000 still working and using till Studio Pro works. Avio DVD, IMac, Panasonic AG-AC30, 3 Panasonic AG-UG90 last Bogart software and Arabesk release

Re: Audio/Video Sync Issues when Burning DVDs

Post by methuenbill »

I also had the same problems with the audio being out of sync. I do a lot of dance studio recitals and when you hear the tapping of the shoes a split second later, they notice it. I had the 4000 pro up until 2 months ago, the unit stopped working. They say after 4 or 5 years the batties on the video boards die and your unit will not work. I have the 6000 now, I haven't noticed the audio being out of sync, but have had problems with over modulation. I use the same music I used before but it now comes in over modulated. I will try to reload the software after this project and see what happens. Good Luck.
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Re: Audio/Video Sync Issues when Burning DVDs

Post by Rte80west »

Hey thanks for taking time to reply.

Ridiculously frustrating to say the least. And inexcusable, frankly. My plan right now is to clear the system, reload software and experiment I guess. But kind of stuck with sync issue on some of the footage that took me ~ 8 months to prepare.