Canon HF S20 HD to SD conversion and the S-3000

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
lcvideo
Casablanca Unit: S-3000

Canon HF S20 HD to SD conversion and the S-3000

Post by lcvideo »

I have a new Canon HF-S20 AVCHD flash HD camcorder. When I want to down convert HD 16 x 9 footage to SD, I can do that in the camera. The SD video plays great in the camera at 16 x 9. If I then transfer the 16 x 9 SD footage to the software on my PC that came with the camera, the video plays on my computer in 16 x 9 SD with no problem.

But when I import the 16 x 9 SD file into the S-3000 (into a 16 x 9 SD project), when I play the file, the image is squashed. I’ve tried putting the SD file on a flash thumb drive and bringing it into the S-3000, but the same thing happens. Squashed video.

The only way I can currently get SD footage into the S-3000 is if I let the S-3000 scale the video as the file is imported, and even though the Cassie does an OK job of scaling HD to SD, it’s not as good of quality as if I convert from HD to SD in the camera. And that would be better quality SD video footage to work with, if I could get it into the Cassie.

Any ideas on how I can get 16 x 9 SD files I've converted in my camcorder into the S-3000 so they look right in a SD 16 x 9 project?

Thanks.

Lee Cornell
Lee
Lee Cornell
LC Video Productions