Exporting a scene

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Exporting a scene

Post by Christopher6206 »

I need to export about 17 scenes from the scene bin. Under opt in the main editing screen there is a button for "Export actual scene" I tried exporting a scene to a USB it seemed to work but when I looked at it on my pc nothing was there. When I back up a story board to a USB it always "creates HD material" first. It did not do that for exporting a scene so I'm wondering what this button is for and whether or not I did something wrong. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Re: Exporting a scene

Post by IanPearson »

Chris
Below is a description of how I use the individual scene export function and so far I have not had any problems. You will see in step 4 I have always set my quality to 14MBits/s. To be honest I have not tried any other setting, but this may just be your issue.

It is my understanding that the material in the scene bin and story board is already HD, editing requires individual frames to be seen and worked. When backing up it is compressing the data for backup storage. When again restoring a backup, it needs to uncompress back to HD, that’s why the backup and restore takes so long.

However, I don’t profess to be an expert in this area.

Ian

Exporting individual scenes from the internal HDD to a USB key
1. Insert a suitable USB key into the unit.
2. Select the scene in the scene bin, to be exported.
3. Click the “opt” button on the lower right of the screen, which opens an “Options” window.
4. There is an option called “Export actual scene”, but first click the “opt” button in this line and set the quality of the export. The only export option is AVI, but the quality can be set, e.g. 14MBits/s.
5. Click the “Export actual scene” button.
6. In the “Export actual scene” window that opens, choose the destination that the scene should be exported to, e.g. USB Data-Traveler
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

THanks Ian. First of all, when I click on the opt button in the main editing screen I do get "Export actual scene" as one of the options but I do not have another "opt" button in this window to select the quality. This could be a PAL vs NTSC system thing. The 17 scenes I need to export are all scenes I created by creating a scene of the entire storyboard. SO they have titling, graphics, transitions, and music in them. If I try to export one of these I get an hourglass for a few seconds and then it stops. If I try to export a different scene, one not made from the storyboard, just a regular raw clip, or in this case just a blubox world clip, no titles, music, etc, then it actually shows the scene being exported. It shows up on my pc as a .avi clip and plays fine. So for now it seems that I can only back up scenes that do not have transitions and title etc.
Chris Crawford
Cannon XF-705
Christopher6206

Ok I just tried again exporting a scene with titles and transitions and it seems to be working. Now I'm really confused. The scenes are all very similar to one another. I don't understand why it exports some but not others. Anyone who has an answer it would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Crawford
Cannon XF-705
IanPearson
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Post by IanPearson »

Chris
I am running Bogart OS V5, the additional "opt" button could have come in with this version??? I don't have any ideas on your other experience. :?

Ian
Christopher6206

Yeah I've got the latest but it is only 4.5c. I spent a lot of today working on this. Backing up story board creates .dv, backing up an individual scene creates .avi. Both play in Windows Media Player but the video and audio don't match up. It works on the first scene and then wqhen there is an edit/new scene the audio is thrown off. On scenes where there are no cuts/edits the audio stays in sync. I did find a program called "Easy Media Player" where these issues don't occur. It plays them great. But why the more commercialized Windows Media Player does not frustrates me. Even Quicktime has trouble with them. Everything plays great if it's in SD but this HD stuff has problems.
Chris Crawford
Cannon XF-705
IanPearson
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Post by IanPearson »

Chris
As I said previously, I am no expert in this area, but that is probably why they have a bit rate selection now, to ensure it can be read by which ever program you are going to use???

Just one point, the “opt” button is before you click the “Export actual scene”, not once you have opened it.

I’m just about to leave for Paris, going there for a long week end, it is our 50th wedding anniversary.

However, if Michael D is reading this, he is our UK guru in this field, he may jump in and say if this “opt” button was on version V4 OS, over here in PAL land.

Ian
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

I tend to use a program called "VLC" available for both Mac and PC and it seems to play just about everything - and it's free.

However that doesn't answer your question. Previous exports done in this way with both v4 and v5 play fine here in PAL land on my Mac.

Anyone else had this same issue :?:
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Post by CasablancaExpert »

Chris - jumping in late but a couple of thoughts/some info...

The 2nd OPT button that Ian refers to accessible via the Export Actual Scene under the OPT button in the Edit Menu _is_ only available in Bogart V5. In Bogart V4 we only have the opportunity to click that button and it should begin exporting your selected scene. This, is at present, one of the best/easiest methods to export single scenes in both SD and HD format. I am using Bogart V4.5 on my S3000 and have successfully exported HD scenes created with titles, transitions, etc. using this method. But have also used the
Archives>Media Manager export option with success.

That said - I know of others who have wrestled with some difficulties using NTSC V4.5 of the Bogart OS - it could be a variable related to frame rate, resolution, etc.

As a side note - the reason the system goes into Render HDV material when exporting the Storyboard rather that individual scenes is that it must render the HDV stream (which is comprised of your individual scenes plus whatever effects you add to the SB)... the Scene in the Scene Bin is intact and does not require this individual rendering.

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

The additonal export options that will be available in Bogart 5 is what I am excited about & will be upgrading to as soon as it is available in NTSC......

Joel Brooks
http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347