Dumb Question!

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Dumb Question!

Post by flvideo »

My track Ball is getting sticky. What can I do to free it up. I am tempted to spray a lubricant in it but am Hesitant to do so. Thanks Bob...
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Re: Dumb Question!

Post by CasablancaExpert »

Bob,

If it's the standard Logitech trackball - yep, they can get pretty yucky.

Lift the ball out of the device and clean that with a cloth - you can use a chemical wipe or a cloth with rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol.

Then take a cloth or cotton swabs and clean out the cavity where the ball sits... pay particular attention to the 3 'bumps' that the ball rests upon (they usually collect lots of lint & dirt) and the little 'window' - this rectangle is the optical scanner that is looking at all those lines on the ball to determine the positioning.
The track-ball will be less responsive if you try to use it right away, until the moisture evaporates... then you may be surprised how well it works, again ;)
Hope that helps!

Regards,
Chet

By the way Bob - I always tell my workshops & classes "The only stupid or dumb question is the one you never ask" (that is unless you decided not to listen to my answer the first time in class) :D
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
ASHampton
Casablanca Unit: Loaded Dealer unit

Post by ASHampton »

I use a toothpick to clean the little rollers that the ball rides on. I have noticed that sometimes little artifacts can get stuck on them and a little nudging with a light hand can remove them.
Seth Hampton
Casablanca Gold Star Dealer
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Thanks Guys, I used a wipe to clean the ball and a Q-tip and the wipe to clean the inside. It works great. It was nasty inside. I don't know how many years I have been using this editor and never cleaned it. I think this Track ball is the first I got with my Avio. I still have a new track ball I got with my Rennee.